AVAILABLE FREE PISTOLS FOR RETURNING SHOOTER

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MARVINGARDENS

AVAILABLE FREE PISTOLS FOR RETURNING SHOOTER

Post by MARVINGARDENS »

Hi. I've been searching the forum and still have some questions. I'm retiring next year and will finally have some time to shoot. I shot Free Pistol for some years and quit about 25 years ago. I was an early adopter of electronic triggers (Walther FP) and at this point don't want another.

I've looked at the Toz but have never handled one. I currently shoot a 208s and am used to the grip angle. I having difficulty understanding what is currently being manufactured, available, and/or supported for parts and service.

I used to shoot Hammerli 104's and 106's and have considered a 160 but haven't seen one for sale lately. Also curious as to what Steyr, Morini, Pardini, or others have to offer.

Thank you.

Bob
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're used to the Hammerlis, go with a TOZ since it's a Hammerli ripoff.

They're as competitive as anything else.
David M

Post by David M »

If going new (current production) go Morini or Pardini. If you like a electronic trigger, then Morini. The new Hammerli (Walther) never seems to be in stock.
If second hand, Morini or Toz, but be aware that Toz parts are getting hard to find.
prowling

Post by prowling »

Or pick up a used Pardini for less than some folks spend on a case of ammo and know that it will always be able to outshoot you (as I did last month) ... just sayin'.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

Currently in production,

For mechanical triggers:
Pardini FPM, Hammerli FP60 & Matchguns MG5

For electronic triggers:
Morini CM84E, Pardini FPE & Matchguns MG5E
MARVINGARDENS

Post by MARVINGARDENS »

Thanks so much. I don't know what the electronic trigger sitation is now. Like I said, I was an early adopter with the Walther FP and that experience soured me on them. I am also reading posts here about batteries for some models apparently becoming unavailable.

I held Masters cards in Free and Air Pistol twenty-five or thirty years ago. I have no delusions abouting going to the Olypmics but always enjoyed the sport. The slow fire shooting really boosted my Bullseye scores.

So have electronic trigger systems improved? Is Walther or now Walther-Hammerli still poor at support or maintaining stoocks of spare parts?

How do the grip angles compare?

Thank you.

Bob
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Morini electronic triggers are the ducks guts. They don't have any issues like the old ones. From where I'm sitting there is only 2 free pistols that are worth considering and that's a toz 35 or a morini cm85e
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

Cm85e => CM84e. I'm hoping to look for one in the spring.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

That's what I intended to write before the beers
MARVINGARDENS

Post by MARVINGARDENS »

The Morini looks like a very nice pistol. Is the battery adapter available?

Thanks again.

Bob
nvalcik

RE: Free Pistol for Returning Shooter

Post by nvalcik »

I actually like my MG-5 mechanical trigger better than the Morini 84 or the Toz 35 (which I have). I believe different free pistols suit different people's shooting styles and physical characteristics. I prefer personally to have a very light free pistol with a mechanical trigger. I like the MG-5 because you can convert it if you ever had the desire to do so to an electronic trigger variant. I still have my Morini CM-80 Supercomp as well that I still use on occasion which I still do pretty well with.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

MARVINGARDENS wrote:The Morini looks like a very nice pistol. Is the battery adapter available?

Thanks again.

Bob
Yes - but they are not necessary. You can take an old Varta 15v battery (every 84e comes with one), tear off the metal wrap and re-pack the tube with 10 button cells (I bought 50 for $5). At a pinch, you don't even really need the tube (you can just wrap the stack with electricians tape) but it does help keep everything lined up neatly. The decreasing availability of the original Varta V74px is no longer an issue. See this thread here for everything you need to know.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=153247
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I recently got a brand new 20 pack of Varta V74PX just by walking into a store and ordering them - was no problem at all, and not very expensive either...
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

That is a good tip on the button batteries. I bet you could shrink tube them together.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I have a Morini 84E Free pistol I will sell. Are you interested?
LG
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

lg2011 wrote:I have a Morini 84E Free pistol I will sell. Are you interested?
LG
What price are you looking for ?
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I can only ship from my FFL to an FFL in the United States.
Anupam

Post by Anupam »

Thanks !

All the best for your sale... !!