Comercial / Industrial Cyllinders

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

randy1952

Cylinders

Post by randy1952 »

jhmartin wrote:
dmalstrom wrote:The main scuba shops in LA would not fill my air rifle cylinder because it does not have a DOT # stamped on it. Luckily I do have a diving certification so I rented a tank for $10 and filled my cylinder myself after buying an adapter for it. I already had a scuba tank but it was made in 1975 and no one would do a hydro on it because of its age due to the supposed increased chance of the tank rupturing.
I have an older tank as well. Getting it hydro'd should not be an issue. My dive shop always explains to me that the neck of this tank has been known to fail hydros and do I want to risk it. Always YES ... if it fails it fails ... there is no risk to them either, they way they hydro a tank is perfectly safe if a tank fails. Look around ... especially on the West coast you should be able to find a place to hydro it. Places that do tank inspections for the fire departments & fire extinguisher shops are good. Why have an empty tank sitting around?
Another possibility is to check with any business that sells gas like Norco Inc. they will hydro test your tanks.
dmalstrom

Post by dmalstrom »

There are 2 main chains of dive shopd here. They both have said they would not fill my old tank even it had passed a hydro. makes you wonder if it is an excuse to generate more sales of new tanks.
Quest1

Tank

Post by Quest1 »

dmalstrom wrote:There are 2 main chains of dive shopd here. They both have said they would not fill my old tank even it had passed a hydro. makes you wonder if it is an excuse to generate more sales of new tanks.
There are no regulations currently limiting tanks by age. Does your tanks show signs of wear or damage?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

dmalstrom wrote:There are 2 main chains of dive shopd here. They both have said they would not fill my old tank even it had passed a hydro. makes you wonder if it is an excuse to generate more sales of new tanks.
If you find a place that will hydro the tank, they can also probably fill it as well. Ask them ... may cost you a buck more.

Yes, the bastards are trying to sell you a new tank.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

There was one brand that had a recall several years ago. I do not remember the name of the maker, but I still have one as a door stop, and it has "DOT E6498-3000" near the neck on the tank. As I recall, the issue with this brand/model made it unsafe, even if it passed a hydro.

If your tank is part of that recall, then I can understand the scuba shop refusal to fill it. If not, then I agree, they are merely after your money.