Jacket alterations

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jgrinolds

Jacket alterations

Post by jgrinolds »

Hello,
My question is concerning jacket alterations. I have a team member that has a custom jacket but it has been cut too large on his support arm side causing a bulge in front of his left shoulder and chest (he's right handed), this bulge then touches the rifles grip causing it to be illegal. He would have room between the rifle and his body if the jacket would lie flat and not bulge. So my question is what are the options to fix the problem and what would be the best way of correcting this problem without sending it back to the company as we are in season and he has had the jacket so sometime now. Thank you for any suggestions you can supply.
PCU

Post by PCU »

I used to go thru this a lot. Found a couple of shoe repair men who would do it - worked fine but not their work not pretty. I then began using a local auto upholstery shop and his work was really neat. Charged almost nothing as he considered it charity work. If you can find someone to do it, then take the athlete with you so they can properly fit jacket to him.
randy1952

Jacket

Post by randy1952 »

PCU wrote:I used to go thru this a lot. Found a couple of shoe repair men who would do it - worked fine but not their work not pretty. I then began using a local auto upholstery shop and his work was really neat. Charged almost nothing as he considered it charity work. If you can find someone to do it, then take the athlete with you so they can properly fit jacket to him.
If it is a double canvas or layered jacket just make sure your not stitching both layers together as I think this would make the jacket illegal to use in a ISSF related event.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi there.Randy is correct re the stitching of your jacket.I would think that you have spent a not insignificant amount of money on the jacket to start with which is a vital part of your kit.You cant do without it! The jacket is in my opinion as important as the rifle.Dont let some "handyman" taylor "have a go at repairing/altering it" May also be an option to sell it as is and put the money toward a new mtm unit.Obviously more money but having a properly fitted jacket is worth every cent and some!
Best of luck.Look at Mouche for a new one.They are first class in every way.
jgrinolds

Thank you.

Post by jgrinolds »

Thank you all for your responses. We think we have solved the problem at least for now. We'll see if the jacket or any of our jackets are legal after the official ISSF rule changes with detailed explanations of what they mean come out. I hope they come out nicer than they looked earlier on.