Idea

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JaxAirPistolED

Idea

Post by JaxAirPistolED »

So I have been taking to a few people in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Orlando, and Tallahassee. I got an idea last night and took the day off to think it through. So here it goes...

I was thinking of leasing a huge industrial warehouse. 6000 ft and converting it into a air pistol and rifle range. Making it a competition and training center, I have a few friends who would fix up the office and paint the place. I figure it would be a great place to promote the sport.

Thoughts?
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

6000 square feet would be a very nice space. We managed to squeeze 10 firing points into a 2000 square foot (50 x 40) building, along with storage for a bunch of storage. Doesn't have much room behind the firing line, and there is not a separate room for scoring, registration, or for people waiting to shoot or parents, etc. With 6000 square feet, you should be able to create a really nice facility. We just don't have a budget to do more than what we did at this time.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sounds good.

I would contact the NRA for help. They have all the info you could possibly need, such as range plans, including insurance.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Unfortunately, the cost of a lease is only the beginning of your expenses. If, you are independently wealthy, and can operate at a loss, with no pain, then go for it.
If not, find an engineer who can give you a very good estimate for lights, insurance, and climate control, in addition to the cost of a large bank of motorized target retrival systems. Add those costs to your monthly lease and figure out if there is enough interest to keep it running.
Considering that many people can shoot air pistol in their garage or basement, without bothering to fire up their vehicle to drive several miles to your facility to shoot only air pistol, and rifle, it may be problematic for cost effectiveness.
Some commercial firearms ranges are in the right spot, with the right clientelle to make a living, (and they are providing a type of shooting that most people can't do at home) but many of those ranges go under also. They usually have the advantage of both an FFL, and ammunition sales to boost their revenues which is something a dedicated air range will probably not generate.
Overhead is a dream killer.
Misny

Post by Misny »

As has been stated, you don't need a building that big. If you run matches like the NRA used to do at Camp Perry, you could run a monthly match. People could come and shoot for record, at their convenience and you could record the results and keep it until the end of the month. If this were a "re-entry" match, shooters could try to shoot for a better score during the month. This would increase attendance and interest. In addition, you could hold weekend approved or registered matches.

All this being said, I don't think that a person could make any profit depending on an air gun range by itself. You may have to go with the 6000 sq. ft. building and add paintball, air soft and laser tag. You will also have to consider other non air gun related money generators that attract adults, as well as, kids.
JaxAirPistolED

Post by JaxAirPistolED »

So here is the update.

The place has multiple felling fans and a wall unit a/c in the office. The last electric bill of the place is alittle under 200.00. It also has a current catching vent and from Oct to March I could just open the bay doors and shut down all item except lights.

Liability for the place would be only major issue. That would cost 500 a month but I can get that to 350.00 if I make rules, safety rules, a video, waiver...the more I do,, the cheaper it becomes.

I can use the place for Air Pistol and Rifle only had a friend who is a carpenter give me an quote on making rest and targets etc. Less than 1200.00. Capacity of 130 people with. 48 air pistol shooters and 24 air rifle shooters on the back docking bays to the concrete property wall.

Plan B

I am looking a outdoor property as it is much cheaper.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Another big cost might be HVAC. OSHA might have ventilation requirements, since you are shooting lead, which include requiring air that moves downrange at some average velocity. Dunno if that changes dramatically for air guns, but if it is not waived, it costs big.

ALso, contact Gary Anderson at the CMP. He built a huge air gun range at Camp Perry, and likely has some insights into what it takes.