Need help with sight adjustment

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

lg2011

Need help with sight adjustment

Post by lg2011 »

LG: Hello shooters, can you please tell me how many clicks "up" do you do when you move from 25 yards to 50 yards with an ultra dot match dot mounted on a 22?

How about the same situation but with a 32? How many clicks? Thanks
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The 22 usually does net require any sight adjustment between the 25 and the 50 yard line. For the 32, your adjustment will depend on how many moa, each click is on your scope, and the trajectory of your ammo. Your adjustment with a 45 would usually be somewhere between two and eight clicks, but I don't know if that would be correct for a 32.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

It Depends on the velocity of your ammo, most everyone shoots standard velocity for target shooting but it is all not alike. Ive found the stuff that is rated at 1080 fps and above requires no change from 50 to 25, but some of the slower stuff like SK, wolf or lapua that runs at 1040 or less needs 1-2 clicks up for 50 that is if you want it centered in the x provided you had it perfectly zeroed for 25 yds.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

LG: I'm using Eley Club and Target standard velocity with the 22 and Fiocchi 100 grain wadcutter with the 32. How many clicks would you estimate that to be? I have a competition this Saturday and I'm unable to find a 50 yard range to be able to adjust my sights. Sighters are not allowed unfortunately.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:LG: I'm using Eley Club and Target standard velocity with the 22 and Fiocchi 100 grain wadcutter with the 32. How many clicks would you estimate that to be? I have a competition this Saturday and I'm unable to find a 50 yard range to be able to adjust my sights. Sighters are not allowed unfortunately.
I suggest you go early and if there are any other 32 shooters ask them how many clicks.

Again, your 22 will need no adjustment.

I don't want to sound snarky here, but believe me, if this is your first time shooting at 50 yards, minor sight adjustments are the least of your worries.
Work on learning how the match runs, loading your magazines, scoring proceedures, etc.

What you will need at the match
Good heavy duty stapler loaded with staples
Two working magazines for each gun
a spotting scope
a clipboard to hold the score card of the person you are scoring
a pen
hearing protection
glasses, if you don't already wear them
masking tape or target pasters
an empty chamber indicator.
the attitude that you are there to learn how to shoot a match, if possible by watching the master class shooters who are there.

Don't be disappointed if you don't shoot as well as you can in practice. It takes a while.

A lot of people chose to shoot 22 all the way through at their first 2700. It takes some of the distractions away.

Tell the RO that you are a new shooter to Bullseye, and he will put you next to somone who will help you.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Which match are you going to, by the way, and who is running it?
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

This Saturday will be my third match at South Bay Rod in San Diego. I scored 1,585 on the 1800 with my second match at Escondido Fish and Game. It placed second overall and I would have had a little better score if I knew what the sight adjustments were at 50 yards and back to 25. The first few shots were terrible. I did not compete with the third gun because I did not have a 45 at the time.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Two clicks at 50 yards will move your sights no more than about half an inch. The ten ring on the 50 yard target is almost four inches.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg1911,

Can you tell us how the match went, your first time at the 50 yard line? Also how many clicks did you end up adjusting your sights on your 32?
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I scored really low 785 with the 22 and 756 with the Center Fire using a 32. I did not participate in the 3rd gun because I just received my 45 and have not had the chance to practice with it. I actually have not fired a 45 before.

With the caliber 22, the difference between the 25 yards and 50 yards were 4 clicks. With the 32 the difference were 7 clicks. I used a Pardini 22 with a 32 conversion. I will try and use a Les Baer 45 at 50 yards on the 11th. Is that allowed, use 45 in slow fire then 32 on timed and rapid fire in the center fire?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:I scored really low 785 with the 22 and 756 with the Center Fire using a 32. I did not participate in the 3rd gun because I just received my 45 and have not had the chance to practice with it. I actually have not fired a 45 before.

With the caliber 22, the difference between the 25 yards and 50 yards were 4 clicks. With the 32 the difference were 7 clicks. I used a Pardini 22 with a 32 conversion. I will try and use a Les Baer 45 at 50 yards on the 11th. Is that allowed, use 45 in slow fire then 32 on timed and rapid fire in the center fire?
Maybe. You can change guns between matches. The way the NRA defines a match is there are four matches in each 900. Slow fire, (2 targets) NMC (which consists of slow fire, timed fire and rapid fire) timed fire match, and rapid fire match. So, you should be able to shoot your 45 for slow fire, and then change to your 32 prior to shooting your first slow fire target of the National match course, which means that you either need to switch right after the slow fire match or shoot your 45 through the national match course.
If you change guns in the middle of a match, you need to declare the gun you are abandoning as disabled. Once you declare a gun disabled, you can't pick it up again without having it checked out by an armorer. If the match is a very lax one, they may allow you to ignore this rule, but in an NRA approved or registered match, they should make you follow the rules. So, decide if you are more willing to sacrifice the'slow fire portion of the NMC to inaccuracies of the 32, or the timed and rapid fire targets to the recoil and heavier trigger pull of the 45.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Psychologically, there is a huge difference between shooting slow fire at 50 yards, and on the reduced target at 25 yards.
It can be even more unnerving when you find that your gun does not really have 50 yard accuracy.
My first match outdoors, I shot 45 for both center fire and the 45 match. My gun was good to the 50 yard line but my reduced kick loads were not. It was hot, and dry and windy, and I was all over the place. It was very discouraging... It got better. :-)
davekp

Post by davekp »

Isabel1130 wrote:
lg2011 wrote:I scored really low 785 with the 22 and 756 with the Center Fire using a 32. I did not participate in the 3rd gun because I just received my 45 and have not had the chance to practice with it. I actually have not fired a 45 before.

Maybe. You can change guns between matches. The way the NRA defines a match is there are four matches in each 900. Slow fire, (2 targets) NMC (which consists of slow fire, timed fire and rapid fire) timed fire match, and rapid fire match. So, you should be able to shoot your 45 for slow fire, and then change to your 32 prior to shooting your first slow fire target of the National match course, which means that you either need to switch right after the slow fire match or shoot your 45 through the national match course.
If you change guns in the middle of a match, you need to declare the gun you are abandoning as disabled. Once you declare a gun disabled, you can't pick it up again without having it checked out by an armorer. If the match is a very lax one, they may allow you to ignore this rule, but in an NRA approved or registered match, they should make you follow the rules. So, decide if you are more willing to sacrifice the'slow fire portion of the NMC to inaccuracies of the 32, or the timed and rapid fire targets to the recoil and heavier trigger pull of the 45.
Doesn't a match official (referee?) need to declare a gun as disabled?
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I was in the same situation. It was on the middle of a dessert at the Mexican border. It was hot humid and windy. The thing that I really had problem were those tiny little flys circling my aiming eye during a rapid fire. Also there was a border patrol check point searching cars. I wasn't searched but got a little worried as I have my target pistols in my trunk.

I'm not going to use my 45 until I have a dot mount installed which is a few months. Have you seen shooters with iron sights in the competitions?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Yes, you must let the ro or the match director know if you want to declare a gun disabled and then they should inform you of the consequences of doing so.

Last weekend, I scored Daryl Szarenski. He shot iron sights all the way through the 2700, and shot them very well. Many of the National bullseye records were set with irons.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I like that. The 45 is so good looking as it is so I don't want anything done with it. Im thinking installing a night sights rather than a dot as it may help in the rapid fire. The LB rear sight has a very narrow spacing. I would love for you to say that that will work.

BTW I received the Zero ammo last night. They look good thanks for recommending it. I'll use it on Sunday.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Most sights are legal in bullseye. What you can't use is anything that projects a laser dot on to the actual target. Make sure the night sight does not do that.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

It's a sight with white inserts. I wonder if this is a disadvantage over a dot sight.

I don't know what I did but I can now attach a photo. Great!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

That is legal. You may not find it particularly helpful in bright sunlight. A standard black sight will provide more contrast against the target if you are using a six or sub six hold.
Most people chose to use the same type of sighting system on all their guns, for consistancy's sake.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

You would do much better with a dot, IMO