Ultradot images

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

djsomers

Ultradot images

Post by djsomers »

I have a 1" Ultradot that I just put on a Izh 35m.

Sighted it in and noticed a very strange thing....

If I try to shoot with both eyes open, the image I see through my right eye (dominant) is directly below the image I see with my left eye. There is little or no overlap of the two images - the right eye image is directly below the left eye image.

The only way I can really shoot is by closing the left eye so I only have one image to concentrate on.

What is going on? I do not have this issue with my Matchdot on another pistol. a Pardini SP-10. With the Matchdot the images are, at worst, side by side and I can easily really force them together.

Thanks for your thoughts!
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Sounds like you have one eye lower or higher on your head...
Just kidding :)

In my past experience you need to keep both eyes open and occlude the off eye with something that you can see light.

If I close my left eye for too long I will start to see two images in my right eye, yah, I am not kidding.

One of those weird things in the human body.

Clarence
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

Sounds like the optics have been tweaked. If occluding bothers you, remove the optic from the pistol, verify a double image(have some else check it too), and send back to Ultradot for repair.

Clint
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

[quote="C. Perkins"]Sounds like you have one eye lower or higher on your head...
Just kidding :)

That would explain a lot of other issues I have but Iwent to the eyeball alignment store and had em checked, rotated balanced and aligned....

It appears to me the optics of this particular Ultradot are screwed up some how (that is a technical term). The image through the scope actually seems a bit smaller than reality and a little fuzzier.

I'll just put some duct tape over my left eye for shooting tonight....
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

The ultras dot is perfectly round to someone who has perfect vision, frayed, out of round or other ways the dot looks is due the person looking thru it. Covering the non shooting eye will not change this but it will get rid of double or other images.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Guess I did not make myself clear about the problem.

I do not see two dots, one over the other. I see two distinct full targets, one right above the other, like two boxes stacked on each other. The top "box" is what my left eye sees, the lower box is what my right eye sees through the scope.

Normally with two eyes open, it is common to see two sight "boxes", one right next to the other, not two boxes stacked on top of each other.

Going to take the Ultradot off and put on a new MatchDot. Still interested in your ideas however.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Verdict at the range is that it is a defective scope. Going to ship to UltraDot folks. Something amiss in the optics causing the sight picture to be 18 inches low and about 6 inches to the right as compared to normal vision.
Clintw

Post by Clintw »

Defective, possibly but I'm pretty sure that I tweaked the optics once by positioning and over tightening the mounting rings over the optics. I have since tried to be careful with ring placement and don't remove once installed. The horizontally split rings (like Burris Zee) allow me to remove the dots from rails without risk to tweaking optics or messing up zero too much. The Burris Zee rings are steel, add additional weight, and can handle more stress/tightening than original vertical split aluminum rings.

I've also found dot placement on the pistol an interesting variable. Too far forward and it adds nose weight or accentuates muzzle movement. Rails should be made with more slots for better dot placements.

I'm confident Ultradot will quickly take care of you, assuming the dot is the newer lifetime warranty dot (click type windage/elevation adjustments as opposed to smooth turning). Double check the correct warranty repair location as it changed several years ago and they now require a small return shipping fee. Still a good deal, service, and product.

Clint