22/45 -vs- MKIII Competition

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ServicePistol

22/45 -vs- MKIII Competition

Post by ServicePistol »

I currently own a 1995 Ruger 22/45 with 4" barrel, but I am thinking about replacing it with a Mark III Competition, for .22 Bullseye.
Is there any advantage with the Competition's 6.88" barrel over the 22/45's 4" barrel?
I will be installing an Ultra Dot 4 scope, so sight radius won't be a factor.
I'm on the fence about the purchase. If the longer barrel won't be an improvement, I'll likely have my 22/45's receiver drilled and tapped, and use it. It's old enough to have not been factory drilled.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

In my opinion a longer barrel is good for using iron sights cause you have a longer sight radius.

As far as barrel length for accuracy, four inches is plenty for a .22 used in Bullseye.

Clarence
firefirst

Post by firefirst »

Weight is a good thing, can hold on target longer with out bobing around, I have a MKIII Comp/Target, triger job, quick release scope, and this thing is heavy but I like it. 3 1/2lb triger pull, shoot bulk ammo at 25 yd's and shoot in the 90's my 2 cents
plink182

Post by plink182 »

The grip angle is different, the 22/45 grip angle matches that of the 1911 and is desirable when shooting 1800 and 2700 bullseye matches. The standard Ruger models have a steaper angle (more broken wrist) and I could never get used to it. Swap out the upper on your 22/45 with a barrel that has the scope mount capability or have it drilled. Remember adding the weight of a dot also changes the balance, combining a long heavier barrel and dot may not have the feel you are looking for. The more I shoot the more I like longer barrels and a little more weight. Most new shooters need lighter guns because they do not have the muscles built up to hold heavier guns steady for any length of time.
plink182

Post by plink182 »

The grip angle is different, the 22/45 grip angle matches that of the 1911 and is desirable when shooting 1800 and 2700 bullseye matches. The standard Ruger models have a steaper angle (more broken wrist) and I could never get used to it. Swap out the upper on your 22/45 with a barrel that has the scope mount capability or have it drilled. Remember adding the weight of a dot also changes the balance, combining a long heavier barrel and dot may not have the feel you are looking for. The more I shoot the more I like longer barrels and a little more weight. Most new shooters need lighter guns because they do not have the muscles built up to hold heavier guns steady for any length of time.
jackh

Post by jackh »

The long barrel makes for a very good no bounce recoil straight back into your hand. Mount the dot as low as possible. Maybe remove the rear sight and use Leupold Rifleman rings. (assuming a 1" 4 dot)
ServicePistol

Post by ServicePistol »

I've decided to have my 22/45 drilled and tapped for the Ultra Dot 4.
I tried the Mark III, and I like the 22/45's grip angle much better.

Down the road I'd like to have a Marvel .22 Conversion Unit on a dedicated 1911 frame.
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

I have an old 1st gen 22/45 which I hacked the grip for use with 1911 Officers model panels and installed a MKIII 4" tactical upper with the threaded barrel and underlug rail. With the SoLow mounts and the 30mm Ultra-dot Match-dot the balance is better than with the OEM 5.5" barreled receiver. I still use the 5.5" barreled upper for open sights but the 4" topped off with the red-dot gives up nothing on accuracy.
xeye

Post by xeye »

I have a 22/45.

I don't like the balance of it. To me it seems top heavy and a scope would make it worse.

Borrow some one's mark III and shoot it. See if you like it better.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

Either of the Rugers will shoot well. In my younger days, I shot High Standards, S&W 41s, and Hammerli 208s. I sold all of them when I moved to an area where there was no bullseye competition. Later, I found some, but now I'm in my 70s, so I didn't need a super-duper gun. I bought a Ruger 22/45 5 inch and installed a VQ trigger. I can still shoot in the 90s at 50 yards outdoors. Bottom line is that any of these guns can shoot well.