Cal 45 for Bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:I found this on line. Had anyone tried this?

1000 round case - 45 Auto Hollow point 185 grain Aguila Ammo Brass case, reloadable, affordable JHP ammo

USD 359.00
Just a few questions. Who makes it? How much is tax/shipping? Some companies include shipping in their price, and others don't.

Also, do the cases have a small or a large primer? If you are eventually going to reload, you want your brass to take a large pistol primer, not a small one.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Its for a limited time from sgammo.com. I don't have the detailed information. Except that the price exclude shipping. Please stay with me on this. My 45 will be released next week and I still don't have the Ammos.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:Its for a limited time from sgammo.com. I don't have the detailed information. Except that the price exclude shipping. Please stay with me on this. My 45 will be released next week and I still don't have the Ammos.
I think you would be better off and happier with this. I know that Zero's prices on their bullets include shipping. Dont know about their loaded ammo

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... =ZBA-45ACP
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I'll buy it. Thank so much.

BTW just to be absolutely sure, I will use this on a 45 Les Baer Premier II for Bullseye practice and competition. This is the ammo for this purpose right? I really appreciate your help. I am new to this discipline. I'm not yet familiar with the terms like, long lines, short lines and the letters that follows the number 185.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:I'll buy it. Thank so much.

BTW just to be absolutely sure, I will use this on a 45 Les Baer Premier II for Bullseye practice and competition. This is the ammo for this purpose right? I really appreciate your help. I am new to this discipline. I'm not yet familiar with the terms like, long lines, short lines and the letters that follows the number 185.
Yes, this should be quite good for competition although it could be overkill for practice. Your Les Baer will probably be very tight when you get it and require an extensive break in period. If you add a rib and a slide mounted dot on the rib, your factory spring may be too heavy to action the slide. If, after putting a couple of hundred rounds down range, you are having some function problems you may need to install a lighter spring. Many bullseye guns come with a 14 lb spring standard. You may need to go down to 10 or 11 lbs to get good functioning. A frame mounted dot, and no rib, does not affect the slide, and you should have no issues with the Zero ammo if you are shooting with iron sights or a frame mounted dot.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Vocabulary

The long line, is the 50 yard line. Most outdoor bullseye matches are shot at 50 yards for slow fire, and 25 yards for timed and rapid fire.
The 25 yard line is the short line. Some outdoor matches and most indoor matches are strictly 25 yards, and sometimes 50 feet.

You need to find yourself a buddy who already shoots bullseye. It will save you a lot of grief to have somone take you to your first couple of matches and help you out.
I am going to send you a private message with a link to another board where you can possibly find someone in your area who shoots bullseye.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

What would be an ideal ammunition for practice and where can I send the slide for the installation of the rib?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

lg2011 wrote:What would be an ideal ammunition for practice and where can I send the slide for the installation of the rib?
A very adequate ammo for practice would be the Zero 185g semi wadcutter.
Much cheaper than the jacketed ammo.
It would be best if you could find a local gunsmith to install the rib, but if you can't, there are at least two very competent gunsmiths who post on this site, Greg Derr, and Jerry Keefer.

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... =ZBA-45ACP

For some reason, there is no option for 1000 of these reloads, but if I was not reloading, this is what I would buy for practice and indoor matches.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend,
LG
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Zero makes very accurate ammo if your talking their "Match" 185 fmj-hp, but it is not any cheaper than the Atlanta Arms "Match" and as far as pedigrees go, the AMU and the Marine team both shoot Atlanta Arms. As far as NSK goes his stuff is never available when i checked. Your best bang for the buck is to reload, but if you got the cash, Zero or Atlanta arms is the best as to accuracy and price. Federal 185 match is good but at 45.00 a box of 50 its way too expensive.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gunrunner, do you have a current price list from Atlanta Arms and Ammo? There is nothing posted on their web site. I know that Zero's prices include shipping on their bullets.
Last time I shot next to anyone who had actually bought AA&A, it was at Phoenix in 2009. At that time I called for some pricing on 9MM. The math worked out to 50 cents a bullet back then, and everyone's prices have gone up quite a bit since I made that inquiry. Just so we are talking apples and apples here, I would love to see a current price list.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I ordered from zero and it was free shipping. That's a great deal.

LG
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I finally found a price through one of Atlanta Arms and Ammo distributors. For a thousand rounds of the 185g JHP, with Nosler bullets and new brass, they want $563.50
The good news is, that price includes shipping. So, just a little over 56 cents a round.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Isabel1130 wrote:I finally found a price through one of Atlanta Arms and Ammo distributors. For a thousand rounds of the 185g JHP, with Nosler bullets and new brass, they want $563.50
The good news is, that price includes shipping. So, just a little over 56 cents a round.
You can also buy direct from them and most times the price is better. The last time i ordered a case of the 9mm match it was 425.00 per K, everything goes up and the 450.00 for the 45 acp was not with shipping, Brian Zins sells his match ammo, basically the same thing, new starline w/noslers for 450.00 also. I dont want to argue whats better or priced best, the person buying it will decide what its worth to them, I was just answering the question on whats available and the truth is most times zero is out of stock, I have 4k of their 185 jhp-hp on back order right now with no production date in sight. As to price 28.00 (.56 x50) is still a fair price for a true trophy winning "match" ammo when you put that price up against walmarts 23.95 off the shelf crap.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

GunRunner wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:I finally found a price through one of Atlanta Arms and Ammo distributors. For a thousand rounds of the 185g JHP, with Nosler bullets and new brass, they want $563.50
You can also buy direct from them and most times the price is better. The last time i ordered a case of the 9mm match it was 425.00 per K, everything goes up and the 450.00 for the 45 acp was not with shipping, Brian Zins sells his match ammo, basically the same thing, new starline w/noslers for 450.00 also. I dont want to argue whats better or priced best, the person buying it will decide what its worth to them, I was just answering the question on whats available and the truth is most times zero is out of stock, I have 4k of their 185 jhp-hp on back order right now with no production date in sight. As to price 28.00 (.56 x50) is still a fair price for a true trophy winning "match" ammo when you put that price up against walmarts 23.95 off the shelf crap.
I agree. With Zero it is always wise to anticipate your needs and order in advance. I learned my lessons about stocking up and staying ahead in the "primer wars" of 2008. I just got a shipment of 115g JHP today in the mail from Zero. Two weeks ago, they were unavailable, so hang in there.
I find 9mm a PITA to reload, but am giving it a go, in order to save some money on ammo for my new center fire gun.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

This is a long thread and I'm hesitant to pull it in yet another direction, but it seems that all of the bullet recommendations are for jacketed bullets. Does anyone use swaged or cast bullets? Are they suitable for BE under any conditions? There is a big difference in price and if the only downside is more time spent getting the leading out of the barrel, it might be worth it.

Roger
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

RandomShotz wrote:This is a long thread and I'm hesitant to pull it in yet another direction, but it seems that all of the bullet recommendations are for jacketed bullets. Does anyone use swaged or cast bullets? Are they suitable for BE under any conditions? There is a big difference in price and if the only downside is more time spent getting the leading out of the barrel, it might be worth it.

Roger
Yes, I use the Zero 185g LHP (lead hollow point)swagged bullet for the long line in my 45. and I use a 160g Valiant bullet (cast lead) for the short line.
My gun has a Kart barrel and shoots lead very well..
9mm is a different story. Lead bullets dont generally work well at the 50, and I dont like to mix lead and jacketed in the same gun because of cleaning issues.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I may get flogged for this but I am in the camp of mixing jacketed and lead.

For the long line I shoot the Zero 185gr jacketed hollow point.
For the short line I use the 160gr Valiant lead semi wadcutter.

After shooting I just pull a snake through the barrel a half a dozen times and I am ready to go back to the jacketed.

For me I use the jacketed for the long line cause it is more accurate for me and my gun, in my hands.
The 160gr Valiants are great for timed and rapid fire because of the lower recoil for me.

Notice that I mention for me.
All the load testing that I have done comes down to what I shoot right now and am not going to change unless I run out or cannot aquire my components.

Budget is also another factor that drove me to my testing.
Lead is a whole lot cheaper and can be just as accurate in certain guns as jacketed.

I have taken my budget one step further this season by going with a model 52-1 shooting .38 full wadcutters for my centerfire.

If you can afford to shoot factory ammo, I would suggest Atlanta Arms and Zero.

Bottom line is, all the best ammo in the world will not shoot worth a darn in a gun that is not built to be accurate and or if the shooter is not up to par.

Just my ramblings from a shooter stuck in expert class.

Clarence
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

C. Perkins wrote:I may get flogged for this but I am in the camp of mixing jacketed and lead.

For the long line I shoot the Zero 185gr jacketed hollow point.
For the short line I use the 160gr Valiant lead semi wadcutter.

After shooting I just pull a snake through the barrel a half a dozen times and I am ready to go back to the jacketed.

For me I use the jacketed for the long line cause it is more accurate for me and my gun, in my hands.
The 160gr Valiants are great for timed and rapid fire because of the lower recoil for me.

Clarence
I also shoot the zero 185 jhp at 50 yards and the vallant at 25, what loads are you guys using for each, myself and several of my friends use 4.3-4.5 of bullseye for both. As to shooting just lead, yes it is very accurate once you find the load for your gun, ive shot the 160s lead vallants at 50 yards with good accuracy but a 185 or 200 lead seems to be better at 50 yards.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

For my long line line loads, I shoot the 185g LHP with 4.3g of Titegroup. For the Valiant 160's I use 3.7 of Clays. They don't make very pretty holes, at that low a charge, but seem pretty accurate at the 25 yard line. I tried a couple of the 185g LHP's with the 3.7 of Clays and those seemed very nice too, with a little more velocity but not much more kick.
The thing I don't like about the Clays, is it does not meter as well as the Titegroup. I have been seriously thinking about working up my loads with VVN310 or Bullseye instead.