RE: MG2 RF Range Report

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nvalcik

RE: MG2 RF Range Report

Post by nvalcik »

I just got my MG2 Rapid Fire back from Europe after the gun was there for almost 2 years for warranty repair work. I am not sure how much time it took for Matchguns to fix it versus the time it took to get from the U.S. to Germany (Gehmann) to Italy (Matchguns) and back. This part of getting the gun fixed was a huge pain I must admit.

When I did take it out and shot it I did find that it worked well with RWS, CCI Standard, CCI Green Tag and Lapua. It did not work as reliably with Winchester T-22 which surprised me a little bit for the reason that it did not work reliably. While the regular Matchguns MG2 appears to cycle the ammunition with no problem, the buffer system on the Rapid Fire pistol is extremely sensitive to the amount of recoil. You can definitely feel when a .22 round from T-22 is loaded a little light and does not cycle the bolt back enough to reload the next round. This was occurring about every 5th round where the bolt was not blown back enough.

So even with practice you are going to have to use higher quality ammunition. The gun is remarkably accurate and I was very satisfied with the groupings and how smooth the gun functioned with the other ammunition types.

I know that the MG2 has had some issues, but when the bugs are worked out they appear to run extremely well. I put about 500 rounds of CCI ammunition through mine and had no problems with reliability - not even a stovepipe.

I am just glad to have it back so I can use it again.

Nick
brakarzac

Re: RE: MG2 RF Range Report

Post by brakarzac »

nvalcik wrote:I just got my MG2 Rapid Fire back from Europe after the gun was there for almost 2 years for warranty repair work.
Nick
Where do you live?
If someone took two years to repair ANYTHING for me I would have been demanding a refund and demanded answers. I wouldnt care how long it took to get to Italy, I would have expected the repairs turned around within a couple months!

No customer should have to wait that long for warranty repairs.

Cheers
Brad
nvalcik

RE: Matchguns MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

I wasn't happy about it, but at the same time I had a Walther GSP Expert that works extremely well which I still use for Center Fire. I am in the United States and recently Germany apparently passed a law where everything had to be air freighted out of Germany when any type of firearm was exported which raised the shipping price considerably. On top of that my gun was in a batch that was repaired under warranty which included an MG4 which had a massive amount of paperwork with it since it was a center fire pistol. My guess is that it did not take too long to actually fix it but most of the time was spent in transit. Going through Gehmann to me makes absolutely no sense but that is the way Matchguns had their policies written which drove up the time it took to get there and back from repair. From what I am hearing everything is taking much longer to get imported from the United States from Europe. Unfortunately Matchguns are not made in the U.S. and therefore regulations for importing such pistols is the norm.

Nick

The last pistol I bought from Potters it took 8 weeks to import and get through the Australian regulations and through customs in the U.S. for a comparison.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Match Guns, why am I not surprised---I personally think an international class action lawsuit should be taken up by the thousands who have been screwed with this (gun) paperweight....."Doc:
nvalcik

RE: Matchguns MG2 RF Range Report

Post by nvalcik »

I would be surprised if they even sold a couple of hundred at this point in time. Now that I have mine back it works extremely well with good ammunition. It is a little hard for me to fault the gun when T-22 ammo has bullets that are not set properly in the brass case at times which would cause anything to jam. I know the load are fairly inconsistent after attempting to run them through the MG2RF. I just wish Matchguns would have a repair warranty station in the United States.
RJP

MG-2 RF

Post by RJP »

My MG-2 RF works just fine, so Mr Riegl, I cannot join your class action lawsuit.

Litigate the gun manufacturers! What a great way to promote our sport.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Tain't my problem---my gun was returned to Nygord/ Match Guns for a full refund...so there too---neener, neener, neener-- "Doc"
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Bob-Riegl wrote:Match Guns, why am I not surprised---I personally think an international class action lawsuit should be taken up by the thousands who have been screwed with this (gun) paperweight....."Doc:
Yes the answer to everything, a lawsuit. Yes a class action one at that so you can each get a ten dollar coupon and the lawyers can get a few million each.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Almost all sport pistols had/have teething problems.

AW93 has 5 versions (from FWB support) (broken slides and so on)
Hammerli 280 had 4 (broken frames)
Walther SSP had problems with initial magazines and firing pins
Pardini has some problems with the Electronic version of the SP.
and the list can only grow.

And from the little i have seen in my country

Benelli's i have seen from one club are very unreliable (poor maintenance , something else ? who knows). Another copy runs just fine.
Walther SSP. Only one i know was running fine from the start. the first batch that came to my country required new magazines and new firing pins plus a trip from walther technician here to make them work somewhere reliable.
Pardini SP electronic ? only one i know runs fine from factory. The others are less than 100% reliable (doubles etc).
Walther GSP fair share of jams (even in brand new gsp experts).

Pardini has a very good service (they try to help) and Matchguns also has a good service. Walther if it breaks and it is a bit old you are left alone but if they have the parts its OK.

Perhaps the problem with MG in the States is that they don't have a repair center there. even here in Europe it is not easy to send a gun for repairs. for example a permit to export my gun for repairs can take 3-4 months easy. plus guns cannot be transported by air freight.

As for me i am happy from my mg-2. pity i am not in USA so i could lend mr riegl my mg-2 to see how good is an mg-2.
Last edited by ghostrip on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Well said ghostrip. What's that saying.....why let the truth spoil a good story.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I think much of the problem is that getting an MG-2 back to the factory for repair is a Grade-A nightmare for American shooters.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

My very last words on this topic forever( hurray). There is a long line of shooters that were more than dissatisfied with MG2 after me. If yours works I am more than happy for you , as you are one of the few, and wish you all the best for the future. Pardini is most outstanding in my life and their record of repair services, though considerably shorter than MG and Walther, is exemplary. So Ave, Atque, Vale my MG2 friends as I go off to joust with windmills once again, a much better pastime than dealing with the unwashed.

YMHS...."Doc"
nvalcik

RE: Matchguns MG2 RF Range Report

Post by nvalcik »

I understand that there are a contingent of shooters that have had issues with the MG2. However, the product appears to have evolved over the years and has improved over time. The big problem with Matchguns is not having a repair/warranty site in the United States. I made the decision to stick with mine even though I had the option of returning it for a full refund through ISS which stands behind their business. After running around 1,000 rounds through it now, I made the right decision and Matchguns appears to have resolved the issue successfully. The only problem I have had is with T-22 ammunition. The MG2 offers some very innovative technology that I do not believe that other guns have at this point in time and that innovation is going to come at a price with some products until they have Quality and Control worked out completely. I believe in supporting companies that take a risk to put out an innovative product if they are willing to stand behind what they sell and are willing to fix the issues that are found. I was not charged anything for the repairs that were made or parts that were upgraded.

I could not say the same for my Hammerli 280 when that gun was sent in for repairs under warranty. Not only did it take awhile, but I was charged for the repair work on the trigger mechanism and the other issue with the .32 shooting high on the first round never was resolved.

I might add that my MG5 is working perfectly and I have been very happy with it.

Nick
nvalcik

RE: Range Report MG2RF

Post by nvalcik »

A little off the subject but someone asked me about the MG5. I do have the mechanical trigger variant. I also still have my Morini CM80 SuperComp and a Toz 35. The MG5 trigger for me is vastly superior in how it feels and how it adjusts compared to the Toz. The Toz is also heavy as a boat anchor compared to the MG5 and I find it to be kind of a pain to have the breech block lever on the bottom of the grip (Toz) as opposed to the lever being on the top of the receiver (MG5). Even though I do not have the conversion kit I understand that the MG5 is covertable to the electronic version which gives it quite a bit of flexibility. So far my MG5 has been reliable and I have been very happy with it. Compared to my CM-80 which I still love to shoot, the MG5 is more liable and less tempramental. The CM-80 with the SuperComp setup, has a great sight setup with the ability to use plexiglas front sights as well as probably one of the best grips I have ever had on any pistol which was the wrap around Morini grip.

Nick
jliston48

Re: RE: Matchguns MG2 RF Range Report

Post by jliston48 »

nvalcik wrote:I could not say the same for my Hammerli 280 when that gun was sent in for repairs under warranty. Not only did it take awhile, but I was charged for the repair work on the trigger mechanism...
This does not sound like "warranty" work to me! Usually, warranty involves paying for postage but NOT the work.
nvalcik wrote:...and the other issue with the .32 shooting high on the first round never was resolved.
Is the first shot high when you fire it from a machine rest?
Dr. Jim

Re: RE: Matchguns MG2 RF Range Report

Post by Dr. Jim »

nvalcik wrote:...and the other issue with the .32 shooting high on the first round never was resolved.
Is the first shot high when you fire it from a machine rest?[/quote]

I had one of the .32 p240s about twenty years ago and it did the same thing consistently -- first round out of the magazine would go high, and yes it did that by hand or from the Ransom.

Dr Jim
nvalcik

RE: MG2 RF

Post by nvalcik »

jliston48 it was indeed warranty work and the FFL who sent it in for the warranty work was shocked that I was charged anything since it was clearly a bad part in the trigger mechanism which failed after only 100 rounds. The gun was bought brand new back in 1991 if I remember correctly. The entire trigger unit was replaced and I was charged for the labor but not the parts which I feel the warranty should have covered everything when you buy a gun that costs over 2K. I also had problems with my Hammerli 152 electronic trigger which I bought at the same time.

The Hammerli 280 was fired in a bench rest as well but even without that it was pretty easy to see when the first round was a good 5" up from the rest of the cluster. From what I have been told Hammerli redesigned the 280 later which corrected for this problem but did not offer the fix to anyone that I know that had one of the early versions.
jipe

Re: RE: MG2 RF

Post by jipe »

nvalcik wrote:The Hammerli 280 was fired in a bench rest as well but even without that it was pretty easy to see when the first round was a good 5" up from the rest of the cluster. From what I have been told Hammerli redesigned the 280 later which corrected for this problem but did not offer the fix to anyone that I know that had one of the early versions.
It is indeed a known "feature"of early 280 !!!!