Cal 45 for Bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

BEA

Faster locktime

Post by BEA »

My old Clark long slide has a slightly thinned hammer, which might speed it up a bit, but an extra 8 months build time for stuff that should be standard for any custom 1911 in this price range? That doesn't sound right to me.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Gregg,
So you have a Les Baer in stock?
LG
BEA

Bullseye 45

Post by BEA »

Greg builds his own 1911 bullseye guns. Go to derrprecision.com and you can contact him through his website as well as see some of the guns he has built. He does very nice work.
tuj

Post by tuj »

You can get some great anatomical grips from Dick Horton. Also, Greg Derr does some great work.

lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Thank you all for your responses. I just received my Les Baer Premium II 1.5". I need another advice please. What ammo is best for this pistol to be used in Bullseye? I will not have the time or the desire to reload myself. What brand and weight is your preference? Thank you very much.
LG
tuj

Post by tuj »

If you don't reload, check out ASYM Precision's loads. The have a 185 JHP load that is perfect for the long line and a practical match 230 FMJ that is very good too.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Check with Atlanta Arms and ammo, in georgia they make the match 45 ammo used by the army marksmanship unit thats shot at all the bullseye matches and the nationals at camp perry. the 45 acp 185 fmj-hp is deadly accurate and priced around 450.00 for a case of 1000. this is all new ammo not reloads.

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

GunRunner wrote:Check with Atlanta Arms and ammo, in georgia they make the match 45 ammo used by the army marksmanship unit thats shot at all the bullseye matches and the nationals at camp perry. the 45 acp 185 fmj-hp is deadly accurate and priced around 450.00 for a case of 1000. this is all new ammo not reloads.

Heck, I will reload for you, if you are willing to pay those prices...:-)

Try here. http://www.nsksales.com/

Neil makes good ammo. I use his reloads in my LEG gun.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Zero also sells loaded ammo.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Now, I know where to purchase the Amos. Thank you. I need more advice please, which is preferable a slide mount or a frame mount for the Dot? Can get a referral on who will install it. Les Bear has the frame mount but it will take 10 weeks. I thought that that's a bit long where I could spend those time practicing. Thanks again.
LG
tuj

Post by tuj »

There's a big debate between slide mounts and frame mounts. I think the predominance of shooters would argue for the slide mount because that takes the slide-to-frame fit out of the equation. I have both and I shoot equally well (or badly depending on how you look at it) with both.

The nice thing about the slide mount is that you can just pull on the dot to rack the gun. With a frame mount, it helps to have a slide-racker installed in the rear sight notch.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Isabel1130 wrote:
GunRunner wrote:Check with Atlanta Arms and ammo, in georgia they make the match 45 ammo used by the army marksmanship unit thats shot at all the bullseye matches and the nationals at camp perry. the 45 acp 185 fmj-hp is deadly accurate and priced around 450.00 for a case of 1000. this is all new ammo not reloads.

Heck, I will reload for you, if you are willing to pay those prices...:-)

Try here. http://www.nsksales.com/

You will, ok well hear is what it takes to load this ammo. 1000 new starline cases, 140.00 +shp, 1000 primers 39.00, 4000 grams of powder 20.00 1000 nosler 185 fmj-hp 200.00 and about 5 hours+ to reload. So thats about 409.00 in components so that nets you 41.00 bucks for 5 hours of work, if you dont reload and want some of the most accurate ammo on the planet i see it as a bargain in my book.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gunrunner, I might be willing to pay that for long line loads, if I had not ransom rested much cheaper ammo, and found that it was just as good. A 1.75 group is impressive, but the ten ring at 50 yards is quite a bit bigger than that.
But for the short line? 50 cents a round is incredible over kill to shoot at the short line.

Bullseye is not bench rest rifle. If I shot the 24 matches a year all the way through with AA&A, my ammo costs for CF and 45 alone would be close to 2500 dollars. My actual yearly ammo costs are closer to 650.00, so the Dillon saves me 1800+ a year.

But as far as reloading for him, I was joking.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

Hello Greg Derr,

I'm interested in the rr rib in the photo that you posted. Can you install it on a Les Baer Premium? How much and how is it going take? Do you now have the lighter version already? If not , will the steel version be heavy enough to be a disadvantage? Please advice. Thanks.
LG
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Isabel1130 wrote:Gunrunner, I might be willing to pay that for long line loads, if I had not ransom rested much cheaper ammo, and found that it was just as good. A 1.75 group is impressive, but the ten ring at 50 yards is quite a bit bigger than that.
But for the short line? 50 cents a round is incredible over kill to shoot at the short line.

Bullseye is not bench rest rifle. If I shot the 24 matches a year all the way through with AA&A, my ammo costs for CF and 45 alone would be close to 2500 dollars. My actual yearly ammo costs are closer to 650.00, so the Dillon saves me 1800+ a year.

But as far as reloading for him, I was joking.
But remember we were not talking about what you or I might do or shoot, the OP asked where to get match grade ammo and i gave him one of the best places to do that. As to price, have you walked into a walmart and priced 45 acp ammo lately? the cheapest crap on the shelf is 39.95 of Winchester in a 100 round bulk box, federal and Remington run 23.95 for a box of 50. The Atlanta arms match is only 22.50 a box of 50, to me that makes it a great deal provided you dont have other options.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Isabel1130 wrote:Try here. http://www.nsksales.com/

Interesting. This is one of those cases where I wouldn't consider this seller without first having received your recommendation. Why? The PDF price list on his web site hasn't been updated since September of 2010. The prices aren't even close to current. I figure if someone is that sloppy about maintaining their web site, just how detail-oriented will they be when they're assembling ammunition?

Based on your recommendation, though, I'll probably wind up ordering some.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gunrunner, there are MANY other options. Zero and NSK are only two of them, and their prices are more competitive.
I certainly am not going to stand in the way of someone who has a 5000 dollar a year ammo budget and wants to spend it all on Atlanta Arms & Ammo, and Eley Tex-X, but to be competitive in Bullseye, it is totally unneccessary.
If I was shooting it, I would have a hard time getting the image of 50 cent pieces flying down range with every shot, out of my mind.
BOTL

Post by BOTL »

Absolutely.
BenEnglishTX wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:Try here. http://www.nsksales.com/

Interesting. This is one of those cases where I wouldn't consider this seller without first having received your recommendation. Why? The PDF price list on his web site hasn't been updated since September of 2010. The prices aren't even close to current. I figure if someone is that sloppy about maintaining their web site, just how detail-oriented will they be when they're assembling ammunition?

Based on your recommendation, though, I'll probably wind up ordering some.
I've called and emailed Neil a few times throughout the last 2 years asking to be put on a waiting list for ammo and he's yet to respond back.. I've met him twice which he never acknowledged that I wanted his business. Forget it, reload.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I haven't had any issues with Neil, but I usually see him at Canton, and pick up my ammo there. He thinks I am cute (for some odd reason) and may treat me better because of that.....
Even though I prefer to reload, if you can't, or won't, Zero may be a better choice. They are always at Camp Perry, support several bullseye teams, and carry both components and reloaded ammo. I use all Zero bullets for my long line loads, and their prices are very competitive with a brass exchange.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I found this on line. Had anyone tried this?

1000 round case - 45 Auto Hollow point 185 grain Aguila Ammo Brass case, reloadable, affordable JHP ammo

USD 359.00