sling stop

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

silentfury214

sling stop

Post by silentfury214 »

My sling stop broke today during practice and i was wondering your opinions on them. I am shooting Collegiate smallbore and my coach says he might have one i can borrow, but i need to get my own. I was thinking i might like to get a sling stop like the MEC one because a couple of my fellow shooters have and like them. Do you guys have any better suggestions, or reasons why the MEC one isn't good?
Thanks!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I assume by sling stop you mean handstop ? I use a Gemini one - because it came with the stock. Equally I've used the anschutz button type one. I'd suggest smaller ones are better and generally cause less discomfort but many people like the large style ones.

Rob.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

the only discomfort i get is in my wrist because of the way i have had the sling, but i am working on that (or was until my hand stop broke ;) ) Up till now, i was using the standard one that anschutz has (the one that is about an inch tall with no adjustments)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The MEC stop is well made, and a lot of shooters find it comfortable. It's not too wide, so it should fit smaller hands better. It can also be offset, so it sits against the thumb better. However it's not cheap, and there is no guarantee it will fit you. Before you shell out, why not ask one of your team mates to try theirs?

Another popular handstop is the Anschutz 4752. This can be rotated about a central peg, to offset the stop. It's not as deep as the MEC; when I used one I taped a wedge of rubber in the gap between the stop and the stock so my hand wasn't pinched.

Personally I like the System Gemini as it can be shifted further sideways than the MEC, and is deep enough not to pinch. But it's not cheap, so had to buy a used one.

Tim
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

I am not *too* concerned on the price as i want something good that will help me improve (if price was a huge problem, i probably wouldn't have gotten into this sport as deep as i have ;) ) I have really large hands, like XL large, will this effect anything?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

silentfury214 wrote:I am not *too* concerned on the price as i want something good that will help me improve (if price was a huge problem, i probably wouldn't have gotten into this sport as deep as i have ;) ) I have really large hands, like XL large, will this effect anything?
Hand size shouldn't matter since the handstop sits in the v of the hand between thumb and finger.

Rob.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

I agree with the others re the Gemini.I have recently purchased one from them[direct]and their service was first class.It is was way better than the MEC.The MEC can only be shifted from centre by about 3 or 4 mm.The Gemini can go other side of the centre rail by 22mm!It also has an easy adjust lever so moving doesnt require a spanner.ten out of ten for me.I have changed from the MEC to the Gemini.You need to make sure you get the AKTIV handstop.They are listed on their web page
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

The system gemini does look nice, but $170 is a little too high for me. The MEC is about the limit of my price range :/