Buying a Sport Pistol in California Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joel

Buying a Sport Pistol in California Question

Post by joel »

I would really appreciate some advice from those that have picked up pistols in California that were shipped from outside. I am buying an AW93 from Brez and they're shipping it to my range/gun shop in San Diego in a few weeks. The law states that the gun can't leave the shop without a California approved gun lock.

What locks are you using for these types of pistols?

I don't want to spend a fortune on a lock box and was hoping that there was some sort of heavy plastic coated cable with a lock on it that would work. The last thing anyone would want is damage from one of these devices.

Thanks much in advance,

Joel
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

By law you have to buy the lock, but no one makes you install it before you walk out. If you're concerned about damaging the gun, just don't use it.
joel

Post by joel »

SeanM wrote:By law you have to buy the lock, but no one makes you install it before you walk out. If you're concerned about damaging the gun, just don't use it.
Well, that's interesting and I hope it is true. I have no resean to keep a lock on this gun so thanks for the quick response.

Joel
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could bring a lock with. They're usually worthless overpriced junk.
FredB

not quite

Post by FredB »

Rover wrote:You could bring a lock with. They're usually worthless overpriced junk.
I believe this is incorrect. First, the lock has to be an approved model. But worse, IIRC, it has to be purchased on or near the same day as the gun is received. The "logic" of this is to force people to own a lock for every gun. As you can imagine, this was one gun law that did not get a lot of protest from the retail dealers. The only way to avoid the purchase is to prove ownership of a gun safe. Note, all the above was true last time I purchased a gun, a couple of years ago. The laws keep getting worse.

FredB
joel

Post by joel »

So apparently there is a Federal Law:

However Federal law now requires that a trigger lock accompany any handgun transfer without consideration of CA law. Effectively this means that safe affidavits are no longer acceptable since the Federal law went into effect. If the device that comes with your gun is on the "approved" list than you will not need to purchase another gunlock or cable.

Joel
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Federal+t ... 0150695784

Foumd this on the web when I looked for a federal trigger lock law. Apparently, it has been blocked from taking effect, but that is probably not going to help you in California where they will try and bootstrap you into buying one, even if you have a gun safe.
joel

Post by joel »

That's interesting, but I guess that you have to figure in the cost, $6 - $8 for a cheap Cal approved lock, into the cost of a gun. Everyone knows how rediculous CA laws can be. Another example is that you can't buy a motorcycle from out of state unless it has atleast 7500 miles on it (has to have the correct stickers on it as well).

Thanks,

Joel
conradin

Post by conradin »

My misses has just gotten a pistol, put it in her handbag, put a $3.99 luggage lock and lock up the zipper. Perfectly legal.
joel

Post by joel »

A luggage lock is not a Cali approved gun lock and there's no way a gun shop is going to let me walk out with that. The shop told me that they have locks that are inexpensive that I can buy and that the law doesn't state that I even need to put it on the pistol. However, once I put it in my car, it is supposed to be locked.

Joel
conradin

Post by conradin »

joel wrote:A luggage lock is not a Cali approved gun lock and there's no way a gun shop is going to let me walk out with that. The shop told me that they have locks that are inexpensive that I can buy and that the law doesn't state that I even need to put it on the pistol. However, once I put it in my car, it is supposed to be locked.

Joel
Very well then, buy an inexpensive lock and a fake designer handbag :D

FYI this is the Pelican TSA combo lock that I personally use all the time:
You can find it here:
http://www.pelican-case.com/1506tsa.html
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

conradin wrote:
joel wrote:A luggage lock is not a Cali approved gun lock and there's no way a gun shop is going to let me walk out with that. The shop told me that they have locks that are inexpensive that I can buy and that the law doesn't state that I even need to put it on the pistol. However, once I put it in my car, it is supposed to be locked.

Joel
Very well then, buy an inexpensive lock and a fake designer handbag :D

FYI this is the Pelican TSA combo lock that I personally use all the time:
You can find it here:
http://www.pelican-case.com/1506tsa.html
I utilize TSA locks for transport in CA. There is no "defined" lock for transport in your vehicle ... the box, case, garbage bag, container etc ... just has to be locked and the ammo carried in a seperate container. I never have issues with my TSA locks on the pelican case... when I fly, I do not use the TSA locks, I use my own "cable lock" on the case so the TSA cannot steal my pieces. The TSA allows you to transport up to 11lbs of ammmo in the same container as the firearm, but it must be in factory original, or secure packaging. Ammo in magazines, ot loose ammo is not allowed. My MTM 50 & 100 rd cases have always been approved and CCI plastic containers have also caused no issue.
joel

Post by joel »

I like those locks, thanks!

Joel
Kel P

Post by Kel P »

I'm in California, and I purchased one handgun through my dealer a few months ago, and all that was required was a lock that worked on the pistol's manufacturer case. My wife did the exact same thing for her 9mm, different store. Then I bought a free pistol from ISS and had it shipped to her dealer for FFL. When I picked it up after the 10 day wait, I just needed a lock on the Morini case (computer cable lock was fine). This dealer has been around for ages, and I'd expect them to know about any required trigger or chamber lock, which they didn't. Oh they also teach a Level 1 Pistol Safety class, and only mentioned a locking case for which even a purse with a padlock on the zipper would suffice (legally, but in their minds was asking for trouble if you got stopped).

PM me if you want specifics on the San Diego dealers I used.

Kel