Grips "creaking"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Grips "creaking"

Post by toddinjax »

Hi all,
I've just taken delivery of new Rink grips for my IZH 46M. Wow, should've bought these a long time ago! Anyway, while the grip feels great and is a much better fit to my hand, I'm having a similar issue I had initially with the stock. The grip is not fully imobilized on the frame, that is , when I crank the arm to charge with air, I can feel the grip creak a tiny bit. I tightened the screws on either side 1/4 turn each till they are fairly snug and don't easily turn. When I got the IZH I did this and eventually just cranked the hell out of the screws untill the grip didn't move. The original grip used a good size screw driver, the new Rinks are supplied with a fairly delicate allen wrench. I'm a little hesitant to hammer down on the Rinks; do I worry needlessly?
shooter560

Post by shooter560 »

I can't help specifically for pistol shooting but when I did top level archery and suffered from creaking grips on a bow I used some double sided foam number plate/licence plate pads, leaving one side of the plastic release tape on so it wasn't permanently fixed in place, this would both take up any thin space and also allow the grips t be tightened without fear of over tightening them and risking head damage
yana

Post by yana »

I have similar issues with wooden aftermarket grips for my Webley Tempest.
They're not custom made for my specific pistol, so you have some tolerances, causing the grips nót to be a perfect fit.

I think you have a similar problem. Its not a 100% good fit. It'll lie free somewhere or it'll cant somewhere if its too thick anywhere.
Just check overall fitting and add or remove material as necessary.
PeteS

Post by PeteS »

My 46M had a small shim on one side, obviously put in by the factory to take up some of the slack made by poor fitting grips. The tape, a matchstick (without the head), or similar shim will work fine.
--Pete