Hand Pump and Air Pistol Reservoir

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
olympian2016

Hand Pump and Air Pistol Reservoir

Post by olympian2016 »

Hello All:

Generally, how many pump strokes are required to fill up an air pistol tank (say a FWB P44)?

Thanks,
Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

Heh, heh, heh!

Screw pumps! Get a tank or a single stroke pneumatic (it's a lot less work).
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

With my Gehmann/FX 4-stage pump it takes me about 110 strokes to go from 90 bar to 240 bar. Somewhere not much below 90 my Pardini K10 starts dropping point of impact. I pump it to about 240, then bleed off about 10 bar to clear moisture - drilled a series of holes in the brass moisture release knob to make this quick and accurate with a pin or Allen wrench as it was too awkward with thumb and finger.

I don't usually pump until after a shooting session. Too tiring. Pump about 50 or 60 strokes then rest a moment to cool the pump and my arms. Get maybe 2 shots per pump stroke.
evolution

Post by evolution »

I have not counted, but I think it takes me about 40 strokes to go from 100 to 200 for my P44 short (I also have the 4 stage pump).
C. Perkins

If I remember correctly...

Post by C. Perkins »

Empty cylinder to full was about 90 strokes.
After sighters and 60 shot match about 30 strokes.

I shoot an LP1

Hey Rover;
Your getting old if you cannot stroke it at least 30 times :)
(sorry, could not resist, if you only knew Rover, sometimes I wish I didnt :)

Clarence
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't stroke it; that's why God made flunkies.

Looks like the guys above made my point, though.

Don't let Clarence kid you. The only pumping he does is the poodle.

He fills up with free air at the club like the rest of us.
Last edited by Rover on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

It'd be silly to claim pumping a cylinder isn't a small workout. But I would rather not have another large pressure vessel around the house. Bad enough we have a propane tank for the BBQ. I know dive tanks don't often fail, but when they do (as happened not that long ago in Ontario, to a long time airgun guy) they can do a lot of damage. But mostly I prefer the minor sense of independence with a pump. And of course the more exercise the better.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Gerard wrote:... I would rather not have another large pressure vessel around the house....dive tanks don't often fail, but when they do (as happened not that long ago in Ontario, to a long time airgun guy) they can do a lot of damage....
Beyond a pressure leak, have there been any incidences of pcp cylinders failing?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Once upon a time a Walther cylinder failed during filling, slightly injuring a shooters fingers. Who knows what really happened in a situation like that.

The entire series of that cylinder was recalled by Walther.

I have heard of SCUBA tanks failing on rare occasion while being filled at a dive shop resulting in heavy damage, but no injuries I'm aware of.
taz

Post by taz »

You do understand that not being an native English speaker you cost me 5 minutes of my life trying to find out WTF are flunkies :)

As far as the subject in question goes, I have a Gehmann 4 stage pump. It takes 2-3 minutes (40-50 strokes) to pump my LP10E cylinder from 100bar to 200bar. I usually fill them up after practice when I get home so the exercise does not affect my shooting.
My LG110 Hunting rifle though is another matter, it needs filling up every 25 shots and its cylinder is a lot larger than an air pistol. I just could not handle having to fill the cylinder by pump 4-5 times every time I wanted to use it so I just got me a 7lt 300bar bottle.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It didn't take you long to smarten up.

If you want to know about "pumping the poodle", you'll have to PM me. It's too obscure to find on line.
taz

Post by taz »

Err, no it wasn't

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pumping+the+poodle&l=1

Click the 1st link from the top.

I love the internet...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I looked. "Abusing family pets" was an interesting way to put it. But they were close.
jliston48

Re: Hand Pump and Air Pistol Reservoir

Post by jliston48 »

olympian2016 wrote:Generally, how many pump strokes are required to fill up an air pistol tank (say a FWB P44)?
Too many! That's why I bought a diving cylinder for the same price. Tank refills cost less than $20 and that lasts for as long as you want - years.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

slofyr wrote:
Gerard wrote:... I would rather not have another large pressure vessel around the house....dive tanks don't often fail, but when they do (as happened not that long ago in Ontario, to a long time airgun guy) they can do a lot of damage....
Beyond a pressure leak, have there been any incidences of pcp cylinders failing?
Yes, I know of one incident when a cylinder (of a pistol that bears a well known AP & FP shooters name) ruptured & blew the boot lid of a car open in the early 90s.

Translation:- boot = trunk ;-)