Matchguns MG2 clearing at the range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Beevo

Matchguns MG2 clearing at the range

Post by Beevo »

I have purchased an MG2 but have yet to take delivery.. Bound to be another month or so waiting for new license and permit etc...

Wondering about firing line procedures for the range officer checking the weapon is unloaded and clear since ( i assume) you cannot lock the slide back etc.
How can they check it is clear?
David Levene

Re: Matchguns MG2 clearing at the range

Post by David Levene »

Beevo wrote:.....since ( i assume) you cannot lock the slide back etc.
You can.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

OTOH, if the RO is not familiar with MG-2's I find it both polite and useful to alert them to the tubular magazines and to show them if needed that the correct end of the magazine is indeed facing them. Those unfamiliar with the gun tend to waste a lot of time staring in confusion when they reach your gun on the benches. :-)
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

David Levene wrote:
You can.
David is correct. There is a small metal piece that you push up to engage the slide and lock it back. I forget sitting here which side it is on.

Thanks,
Ted
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

tedbell wrote:
David is correct. There is a small metal piece that you push up to engage the slide and lock it back. I forget sitting here which side it is on.

Thanks,
Ted
Can be installed on either side, i think its on the right side from the factory.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

tedbell wrote:
David Levene wrote:
You can.

Thanks,
Ted
Excellent! I had not seen reference anywhere to a lock so this will help a lot.
I am expecting some familiarisation for us all.

Thanks

(edit) i see it in some pics now... Left and right...Some do not show so perhaps on the far side for that shot.
Nice to see others are familiar... I Will have questions i am sure.
Last edited by Beevo on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

if you have a malfunction, and the RO goes to clear the pistol after checking the trigger - make sure the RO is aware that it is an MG2 and knows how to unload the pistol.
It can get messy if the slide is racked before the magazine is removed.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

One reason RO's shouldn't be touching things that don't belong to them. Most I've seen ask the shooter to clear it and watch.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:One reason RO's shouldn't be touching things that don't belong to them. Most I've seen ask the shooter to clear it and watch.
8.7.4.4.2 If the pistol does not discharge, the Range Officer must complete the examination of the pistol to determine the cause of the malfunction and to decide whether or not the malfunction is allowable.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think there are interpretations to that. Considering It is completely unsafe to handle pistols that you are not familiar with (If you were to do something and injure yourself or someone else I would be the guy who investigates it and lays the charges, my day job). During investigation I have experts do things under my watch which constitutes an examination and investigation. Including when I attend autopsies, they don't make my cut them up, I watch and photograph and legally testify to what I saw.

I've been at world cups where the RO's ask the shooter to point the pistol down range an pull the trigger, then ask them to eject the round which they examine and eject the magazine, or with a failure to eject or load the shooter shows them the breach with the jammed round.

So who's responsible if the RO does something wrong a breaks a part on the gun? Which is very easily done on the MG2 if not cleared properly.

I think this is a subject that we might as well agree to disagree cause I'll tell you right now you can't convince me of the wisdom of handling objects that can be dangerous for which you have no or limited knowledge.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:I think there are interpretations to that. Considering It is completely unsafe to handle pistols that you are not familiar with (If you were to do something and injure yourself or someone else I would be the guy who investigates it and lays the charges, my day job). During investigation I have experts do things under my watch which constitutes an examination and investigation. Including when I attend autopsies, they don't make my cut them up, I watch and photograph and legally testify to what I saw.

I've been at world cups where the RO's ask the shooter to point the pistol down range an pull the trigger, then ask them to eject the round which they examine and eject the magazine, or with a failure to eject or load the shooter shows them the breach with the jammed round.

So who's responsible if the RO does something wrong a breaks a part on the gun? Which is very easily done on the MG2 if not cleared properly.

I think this is a subject that we might as well agree to disagree cause I'll tell you right now you can't convince me of the wisdom of handling objects that can be dangerous for which you have no or limited knowledge.
not sure that we disagree: it is just that the 'rules say' one thing, and in your last post you are describing what most knowledgable ROs (myself included) will do.

While I am resonably familiar with handling MG2 malfunctions (and there are a goodly number) as a range official, I have seem some doozies that even even shooters very familiar with these pistols have trouble clearing.

not to overlook the fountain of loaded rounds that can happen when a RO tries to empty the magazine to count the remaining rounds...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes that amazing Rube Goldberg contraption can get some very interesting jams.

There were some high speed videos on you-tube that showed how the MG2 worked and it was truly a piece of art, like fine clockwork.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

one of the more interesting was when the round on the BIL was 'set off' - clearing that was very nteresting:
- the fired case took some ingenious extracting, and
- further frustration until we realised that the projectile was still in the work

(glad my RF pistol is a CM 22 M RF)
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Spencer wrote:one of the more interesting was when the round on the BIL was 'set off' - clearing that was very nteresting:
- further frustration until we realised that the projectile was still in the work

"BIL" ?.. Story here?
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

Beevo wrote:
Spencer wrote:one of the more interesting was when the round on the BIL was 'set off' - clearing that was very nteresting:

"BIL" ?.. Story here?
Its a part specific to the MG2 (and MG4) same as the shell lifter in repeater shotguns...
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Makris D. G. wrote:
Beevo wrote:

"BIL" ?.. Story here?
Its a part specific to the MG2 (and MG4) same as the shell lifter in repeater shotguns...
Ahhh Bullet Insertion Lever... I see now thanks.

Alternatively known as Projectile Interpolating Manipulator Platform
PIMP ?

Apologies for dumb questions but appreciate the knowledge.
Beevo

Post by Beevo »

Had a chance to handle my new gun MG2 at the range today and the slide lock is easy to use etc. felt nice. Breech easy to view. All paid for but Still waiting on weapons licensing branch but not too long i hope til i can take her home.