Novice Needs Opinions On Optics For Walther GSP Expert

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

KrieghoffGT

Novice Needs Opinions On Optics For Walther GSP Expert

Post by KrieghoffGT »

I am new to bullseye shooting and just purchased a GSP Expert in .22lr. What would be some of the recomended optics?

Thanks for your input...
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

I have a ultra dot on mine but a any red dot should work

Hope this helps Nathan
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The GSP is already kind of a muzzle heavy gun. Most bullseye shooters go with either an Ultradot or an Aimpoint, but the truth is, many of the cheaper scopes will work fine on a 22 because it does not take a pounding from the slide. The issue that might concern you is how much weight the optics add to the gun and where the balance point is. What kind of a mounting system are you going to use?
KrieghoffGT

Post by KrieghoffGT »

Not really sure what my options are for a mounting system. I do want to keep the weight down though so I guess whatever mounting system would be the lightest??? I was shooting bullseye for the first time two weeks ago using my buddy's 41 with an ultrdot on it and my arm was falling off after shooting for about an hour. So reduced weight would be key. But I was also reading that the shorter tube lengths like the Micro were at a disadvantage, is there any truth to that?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

http://bme-mounts.com/productlist.html

Above is a list for some of your options depending on which scope you choose. The other thing you can do is find a good gunsmith who can attach one to your barrel shroud,
The shorter focal length of the aimpoint micro does make the dot appear to move more but if you install the scope forward of the chamber it helps a little. You need to learn to not let the dot movement stall your triggering.
It will take a while to build up your wrist and arm, so that you can shoot for an hour or more without your arm giving out. Dry firing will help with that and I would not do it for more than ten minutes at a time at first. If you are holding the gun on the target more than ten seconds without pulling the trigger, it will tire your arm very quickly. Many newer shooters will let their wrist get floppy which will cause a lot of sight movement. Most bullseye shooters do not find holding drills particularly helpful since it is not as precise a discipline as free pistol or air pistol. Learning how to get a good shot off smoothly and quickly will increase your scores the fastest.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Champions Choice in. TN has the best base for the expert.
Fits in sight slot, I use it on my 22 & 32 GSP.
No drilling and tapping.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I prefer the old Tasco ProPint Big Dot with 30mm tube and 8 minute dot. If you let the triger off while the dot is in the black you are guarateed a 9 10 or 9.
After anumber o years of searching I was able to locate a barrel from Lou lombardi (Falcon MAchining) which is lighter than the factory barrel. Unfortunately Lou is no longer making any barrels.
togfish

sight mount

Post by togfish »

I use an ultradot 1" on a mount from Earl's. Rock solid. www.carlwalther.com, about $100 for the mount, but worth it.
jpsIII

Post by jpsIII »

I have had excellent service (3 years) from the Ultradot/Earl's mount on my GSP Expert. Zero match alibis (knock wood loudly) or sighting oddities.
precision

Post by precision »

I will chime in - used a JPoint for years, worked perfectly. Lightweight, rugged. Once zero is set (which can be fiddle work), it holds. Battery lasts a full season.
jpsIII

Post by jpsIII »

I could add that I have had an Ultradot on a (B-Square rib mount) for my High Standard Victor for at least 15 years as well. No sight or mount problems at all, and many League matches/practices fired.