import from germany

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

tonyv138

import from germany

Post by tonyv138 »

Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but i'll ask...

does anyone oknows someone who has an import licence in Dallas and has an ability to complete a transfer of firearm?

thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

GOVTMODEL

Re: import from germany

Post by GOVTMODEL »

tonyv138 wrote:Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but i'll ask...

does anyone oknows someone who has an import licence in Dallas and has an ability to complete a transfer of firearm?

thanks
Submit Form 6 and all you need is your local FFL to do the transfer. See http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3a.pdf
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I have a good friend across the street from me who was born in Germany, She goes back every few years. What issues could we expect if she were to buy an AP for me there and bring fly home with it? Perhaps naive but I'm thinking maybe put a few decals on the case so it doesn't look brand new?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

toddinjax wrote:I have a good friend across the street from me who was born in Germany, She goes back every few years. What issues could we expect if she were to buy an AP for me there and bring fly home with it? Perhaps naive but I'm thinking maybe put a few decals on the case so it doesn't look brand new?
As far as ATF goes, they don't care about airguns.
sparky

Post by sparky »

toddinjax wrote:I have a good friend across the street from me who was born in Germany, She goes back every few years. What issues could we expect if she were to buy an AP for me there and bring fly home with it? Perhaps naive but I'm thinking maybe put a few decals on the case so it doesn't look brand new?
Don't know for sure that it has to be treated as a firearm when checked, but I probably would. At a minimum, checked in locked baggage.

Might have to declare it to customs and pay import duties, but I'm not sure.

No need for an FFL or anything like that.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

The ATF isn't the only gov't entity that this involves. The State Department has all kind of import regs.
visitor

Post by visitor »

Forget about State Department. This isn't the sort of thing that North Korea can use in their nuclear program. Your biggest concern is TSA. If this is a PCP gun they will have something to say about the cylinders. They consider a metal cylinder that they can't open up and look inside a threat to the airplane that it's loaded aboard.

It may seem silly, but there have been too many attempts (and tragically too many successes) bringing down airliners with passenger baggage for them to ignore the potential threat. Think shoe bomber, underwear bomber, Lockerbie, TWA flight 800 (my conspiracy theory). Google "bojinka plot" for more understanding of TSA's worries.

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but context matters.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

I think not about forgetting the State Dept. The most inconsequential gun parts, including wooden stock pieces show up on that list.

Airguns are regulated as weapons in some countries; I don't know how Germany regulates these.

You initially asked for an importer in TX and then you try to skirt importing all together. Your friend is the one that will be stuck holding the bag, when they have to declare it upon entry and then doesn't have it when they return home to Germany.

There is an import service in New Hampshire for individuals. Usually importers such as ISS only import their orders.

I think you are better off ordering the air pistol from ISS, etc and getting it legally
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I know when I imported my Feinwerkbau earlier this year they didn't mind all I had to do was pay the $47 and change per box for customs brokerage.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Rover wrote:Maybe this guy can help you:

http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/
TonyV, I'm with Rover on this. I've bought several Morini match pistols from

Neal Stepp(ISS-International) . He absolutely knocked himself out making sure I

got what I wanted. He will also help with maintainence if required. I doubt you

will find as trouble-free a transaction, as with Neal S.

Tony
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

State Department deals more with exports from the US under ITARS, as for TSA if they are leaving from Germany that won't be a problem either. If you get one in Germany you declare it at the counter when you check in,,the ticket agent my call the police that will then do a secondary inspection on it. Not really a big deal at all.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

If your friend is in Germany, the easiest thing would be to have her take it to UPS or FedEx and get it shipped to you, so you avoid confusion with our highly trained TSA/customs people at the airport. I've purchased a few air guns from Germany from both dealers and private sellers and there were never any issues with permits or customs problems when they were mailed via post (DHL/USPS) Unfortunately, I've heard that DHL will no longer handle them, so UPS or FedEx is the only easy alternative. Theft is apparently a growing problem at USPS ports of entry...not sure if UPS/FedEx have same problem.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Doh!

Pilk could probably help as well. Give him a little support. But he's not in Texas.

Post by Guest »

Just in case anyone is interested, the federal regulation that deals with this issue (From Germany through US Customs) is:

27 CFR 447

447.11 specifically states "Firearms. A weapon, and all components and parts therefor, not over .50 caliber which will or is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, but shall not include BB and pellet guns, and muzzle loading (black powder) firearms (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) or firearms covered by Category I(a) established to have been manufactured in or before 1898."