How to pack the rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nester

How to pack the rifle?

Post by nester »

I've just got my new 1907 (thanks to Miroslav Varga!) and have a question - how to properly transport it to/from the range?

I have to remove the buttplate (otherwise it doesn't fit the case), also should I take the rear sight out, also cheek piece and remove the bolt? And then wrap individually, etc?
Trying to minimize the assemble/disassembly time, also dirt, and ensure the proper protection as well..

And a thought about adjustments/etc - it is so much complicated compared to my old wooden Match 54, so now I am not sure how much time it would take to get to the same level, at least..
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I take the sights off mine as well, just so it fits the case better. I don't take off the cheek piece but like you the butt plate has to come off to fit. I don't think it really matters about the sights in a sturdy case, unless you're flying with it.

Rob.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Another vote to remove the sights here. I have never noticed a significant change in zero due to removing the rearsight for storage. I keep my rearsight in a small camera case, as there isn't room in my rifle case.

The bolt comes out anyway (and is decocked) as I store it separately.

I do take my cheekpiece off, but I think I'm in a minority. I have it adjusted over a lot, so it fits easier in the case off the gun.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

If you dont remove your sights I (who works in the airline industry) would pack the rifle with sights toward the handle. So if it is inadvertantly dropped the sights won't be the first thing to take the impact...
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I remove the butt plate, sights, and bloop tube. Those are packed separately in a sights/accessory case. Butt plate stays in the case with the rifle, as it gets sandwiched well enough by the foam to not move around. Rifle with bolt and cheekpiece stay in their cut outs in the foam.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

It's an air rifle for me, but similar takedown - remove the buttplate, the cheekpiece, the air cylinder and the sights, then everything goes into slots cut in the foam.

It's survived a few trips abroad now, but when I change rifle, I'll be opting for one of the newer stocks that you can take down even further, both to move down a size of Peli case and to have more foam between rifle bits and the edge of the case - on one trip I could tell that the case took such a knock that the foam was only barely enough to prevent damage from how compressed it was on opening the case. If I can afford it, I'll get custom-cut closed-cell foam for that instead of the pick-n-place or freehand-cut open-cell foam.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

He's just going to the range... Put it in a soft case without sights. Makes life much simpler when you leave the hard case at home. What everyone else said if you are flying.

Eric U
Thomas Monto

packing

Post by Thomas Monto »

Fully agree with Eric. I use a soft case (from 10.9) its well padded. I leave everything assembled if traveling by car. Lay on the rear floor so if you need to stop suddenly it does not fly off the seat. When going by air, hard case & rifle sights, butt plate, etc removed and placed in cutouts in the foam. Two rifles per case this way.

Just my $.02