Olympic Rapid Fire, London Oddsmaker lines

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Couldn't agree more with you Sparks about the announcing, good announcing and camera work are what gives it production value. I've hear the excuses why shooting is just no good for TV, its too slow, the field is too big, its too complex, not enough action. Well there is a sport which shares almost all these things to an even larger degree yet it is a hugely popular televised sport, Golf. if they can make golf interesting they can make shooting interesting. People need to see and understand what is happening, they need a connection to the athletes and it has to be visually appealing.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Sparks wrote:The RF finals could be hugely entertaining, but the ISSF has gone in the wrong direction - they're dumbing down the finals, making it hit/miss instead of showing where the shot landed as they do for all the other finals.
The screens in the Finals Hall were showing shot placement.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

David Levene wrote:
Sparks wrote:The RF finals could be hugely entertaining, but the ISSF has gone in the wrong direction - they're dumbing down the finals, making it hit/miss instead of showing where the shot landed as they do for all the other finals.
The screens in the Finals Hall were showing shot placement.
But not the live feeds... and given the fun with the tickets, it'd be nice if we could have seen that on the feeds!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

re the shot placement displays

The hit/miss description was not obvious to those that do not shoot RFP - many spectators that watched the TV coverage commented "what? he missed that big target?"

Surely an extra line or two of code for RFP Finals could show the 'hit zone' instead of all the integer scoring rings
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:Surely an extra line or two of code for RFP Finals could show the 'hit zone' instead of all the integer scoring rings
The Finals Hall screens had 2 concentric circles; one for the hit zone and the other for the black.

A hit turned the circles black with a white cross showing the shot placement. A miss just showed a black cross for placement.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Another thing that was lacking in all the shooting finals coverage that's broadcast is the differential between finalists. It was available in the finals hall. It makes it much easier to follow the action rather than trying to preform the mental math.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:
Spencer wrote:Surely an extra line or two of code for RFP Finals could show the 'hit zone' instead of all the integer scoring rings
The Finals Hall screens had 2 concentric circles; one for the hit zone and the other for the black.

A hit turned the circles black with a white cross showing the shot placement. A miss just showed a black cross for placement.
Aha!
Unfortunately I have not viewed the video (thanks for nothing to our National Broadcaster)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:Aha!
Unfortunately I have not viewed the video (thanks for nothing to our National Broadcaster)
As has been pointed out by others Spencer, the broadcast stream just showed hit/miss. We didn't know where to look in the finals hall; the broadcast stream to watch the shooters or the score screens to watch the shot placement. I settled for the latter because that also showed the running totals. Great stuff.

The information is available, it just needs the broadcaster (in this case OBS but more usually ISSTV) to put it all together.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

Spencer wrote:
David Levene wrote:

Aha!
Spencer

Try:- http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/ for a replay of all finals, no shot placement though.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

David Levene wrote:
Tycho wrote:There were how many starters in RF? They could handle five times as much in SP, on the same range.

Incidentally, the Olympic range firing point was set up to only use targets 1, 2, 4 & 5 on a bank for 25m Pistol. The angles were therefore negligable.
My point exactly, 20% less firing points. Re the angles I was merely trying to explain to Tycho why all the targets were not in use. Some shooters get all het up about the angles, that's their problem - it never bothered me.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

David Levene wrote:

A damn shame they didn't show that on the feeds, that would have been fun to watch :(
Razorback

Re: pistol consolidation?

Post by Razorback »

tenx9 wrote:Thats just silly. The new RF pistols are not standard pistols. They are designed to work with low fps ammo. I think 909fpson a pistol at last look. Normal .22lr ammo is 1080fps and not all pistols will operate that low. These pistols have tungsten weights, bbl spring dampners...etc. Its a silly agrument. I bet the new Pardini (with an eletric trigger, LOL) probably kicks less and muzzle flips less than my Walther OSP. Its money plain and simple. Something new has to be created to sell to the public. Frankly, I was pretty good at it, winning a few team and individual golds, but I still wounldnt spend $2500? on a pistol to use a couple times of year. Plus have u seen the price of that ammo? I not funded by anyone but my own bank account. Like I said, only for the few, They continually change the rules so me, u and the guy down the street gives up because its too expensive.
It certainly looked like Pupo used a standard Pardini SP, he didn’t even had the light weight bolt.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Brian G wrote:Some shooters get all het up about the angles, that's their problem - it never bothered me.
We're "old school" Brian. Set your foot position according to where the target is, not according to where the firing line is.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Tycho, I hope, as I expect you do, that you prediction is wrong. I my opinion the finals format, being 6/8 shooters on the line for the medals, showing each impact on the screen for the spectators, on the spot or on TV, is as far as ISSF can go. As a spectator you can see the shooter, you can see the point of impact and the continuing changing ranking. I’ve watched Archery. It is no more exiting as is shooting. I’ve watched sailing (because a Belgian sailor was in for a medal, won Bronze btw). I didn’t understand a thing of how it worked. Luckily, during the show they inserted computer simulations to explain the situation. So probably I wasn’t the only one who didn’t understand. What I found out during these games is that winning is the important part! You may know that Belgium is not sport shooting minded (to say the least). No one expected a medal. As a matter of fact, NO journalist showed up for the press conference before Cox’s match. Afterward they were pushing their way in, including the Belgian press. And oh, wonders do happen! In the sport news they gave a filmed report on a youngster shooting training camp. During my 40 years of shooting, this is the first time this happens. If our sport has a future, it is in winning on high level competitions Showing the general public that there is a world of difference between sport shooting and the violence on the street.
Good shooting,
Guy
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Yes winning is very important, that's a prime reason why it's bad for one country to dominate any one sport. The participants might see it as a challenge but the media and spectators soon tire of the perceived futility of it. I'd say it's worse as the sport gets smaller. yes there are exceptions to that rule.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Richard H wrote:...it's bad for one country to dominate...
By that criteria, it looks like shooting does a pretty good job of spreading the medals around.

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

True. And if you look beyond the medals into the finals ranking, you'll see the distribution even wider spread.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Brian G wrote:Spencer

Try:- http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/ for a replay of all finals, no shot placement though.
Unfortunately restricted to EU
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

Spencer wrote:
Brian G wrote:Spencer

Unfortunately restricted to EU
A bit late now but this should help if you like fiddling with your settings.
Attachments
Blocked sites.jpg
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The fact that there is no dominant shooting nation is at least one problem we don't have to deal with.