Post Deleted

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Avery

Re: Olympic Flop

Post by Avery »

BATT-59 wrote:because poor performance is not excuseable at that competitive level.
IMO shooting at olympic event is total different experiance and you cant predict how good your hold and trigger pulling will be.
It isnt fair to blame shooter for poor performance at this kind of event
because it is not a question of good or poor technic. It is question of psychology, mental control and many other factors.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

I'm a kind of shocked by the criticism of Batt-59. I have never in my competing life criticized a follow shooter. Simply because there is no way to tell how I would have done on that match on that day. If Mr. Turner has an excuse for bad performance, it is his choice to defend himself. However it seems to me that he blames himself. Every competitor knows that even a Free pistol trigger can seem to weight a ton under competition stress. And that's what Turner in my opinion was essentially saying.
Hopefully Jason and Daryl can get themselves together in the next events.
Good shooting.
Guy
taz

Post by taz »

As if Mr. Turner was the only one that scored below expectations.
Here some other big names that did not go so well...

DIKEC Yusuf 575
KOULAKOV Denis 575
LAPEYRE Walter 575
KUSHNIROV Denys 577
DUMOULIN Franck 577
MIKEC Damir 577

the list goes on...

@ Batt-59
I honestly fail to see the purpose of your post. This is not the first nor the last time a top athlete has a sub par performance.
What is the reason that you made such a post?
To bash the athlete?
To question why it happened?
The fact that he made an analysis of his bad performance annoyed you?

From the responses you are getting it is obvious that most do not share your opinion.

Nobody is happy with a bad performance and most of all the athlete and his coach.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

more or less anything under 580 is less than respectable to gain final access, but obviuosly is higly respectable for us. olympic games it's only one match during a 4 years season, it's unrealistic think that every shooter perform at it's own best level.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

No backbone huh, use your real name and show some backbone. Then come see me for a lesson in life. Seems like you have some of the same feeling of one of the forums colorful shooting failures with a narcissistic personality. Too bad your shooting never met the level to get you in the Olympics. So easy to criticize other who have succeeded, when you have failed.
BEA

Olympic showing

Post by BEA »

Seamaster, you are correct.
Last edited by BEA on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Daryl and Jason are both honorable guys. Their own analysis are very very insightful.

But calling Russ, just musing, is not cool at all. Not cool at all. Just as bad as the original poster.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Good Bloody Grief. I'm not an Olympic competitor, but have shot at more than one World Muzzle-Loading Championships. And sometimes, things just go to worms. I've had it happen myself.

But complaining about someone else's performance isn't called for. Ever.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I’m not in agreement with the original poster, but what can we do to solve this situation?
Last edited by Russ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BATT-59

Post by BATT-59 »

rbwells wrote:The development of youth in the US is growing. In Air There are 4 kids off of the top of my head under 20 that i know of in the US that are capable of shooting over a 570 in air. I myself am one of those 4. I am 19 and hope to make the jr development team this upcoming year and i am here to tell you that in 4 years these older guys are going to hate us younger guys. I look for Rio to have higher scores than this year. A lot can happen in 4 years but if all 4 of us were to stick with it, things can happen. Right now as it stands, my personal goal for next year other than earning a jacket is getting into the top 8 overall at Benning and making that final. I know if I make that final then I am making the right steps. But as for the subject, we all have bad days, and sometimes at the most unfortunate times, but i did not think it would have been that bad for Jason. I do feel for the man though. I hope he can bounce back.
I hope you are right. May the Competitive Shooting Spirit stay with you, and all the up-coming youth. America needs the youth to represent The USA, in upcoming Olympic Games. God Bless the USA!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Sheesh, seems like we need some of this in here:

What else is a one-topic-wonder, posting under anonymous conditions, who's only being negative? Troll is the only label that fits.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I never was nor will I ever be a champion caliber shooter. I am a club shooter, but a fan of the shooting sports. As a fan, I admire the best shooters when they are doing well and when they fail to meet their expectations. Anything else would make me a "fair weather friend".

Yes, individual shooters and coaches and others put a lot of time, money and effort into getting to a high level, but there would be no venue, if it weren't for the volunteers who donate their time, money and talent to make the matches a reality. I have and do lend some time to help run competitions, so that maybe one day, someone who shoots at one of the local matches may excel to a top level. Armchair quarterbacking never did anyone any good. It is the people in the sport that do the dirty work, who allow the top shooters to compete. If you haven't spent some time "in the pits", then maybe it's time.

I haven't met many top shooters, and I've met my share, who were immature, mean spirited or conceited, but there are some, I'm sure. There are, I suppose others who get a charge out of tearing others down when the other person falls off the pedestal or just like to be "trolls" and say anything to get a rise out of people. I suspect that a competitor with these attributes won't likely get to the top...ever.
JJJJJJ

Post by JJJJJJ »

There is no honor in kicking someone when they are down.
Last edited by JJJJJJ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

As absurd and upsettingly rude as the original poster insists on being, I think Brian M nailed it. Feeding trolls isn't productive.
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

Nothing wrong about a realistic analysis of ones own performance.

If I blame the shooter next to me for disturbing me then I am making excuses. If I say that I allowed myself to become distracted and lost focus then I am analyzing my own performance and taking responsibility for my errors.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Maybe our Mr. Critic wants Mr. Turner to apologize to the entire nation publicly via a TV conference for letting the nation down...like what Tan Zongliang did after he failed to qualify? ;-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

BATT-59 wrote:
Richard H wrote:Well you seem to have a lot to say and it's really easy to spout such disjointed crazy drivel when you remain anonymous.
Mr. Richard H., can I find your name in the top 20 shooters ranked by USAShooting?
Don't know but I'd be surprised if you could, as I'm clearly not a US Shooter.

Can we find yours? I dont see Batt 59 on it. That would explain lots.

Hopefully Scott can take care of this when he gets a chance, maybe we need to start a little more moderation.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

As a resident of NYS, I have seen and heard about Jason over several years and he has been a shining light in the Sport for many of those years. Hell, if we didn't have a bad day in our lives it wouldn't be not for trying. I am just a shooter who has enjoyed the AP, FP, SP, RF & CF with a European flavor. If I had been born and raised in Europe (Hungary) under similar circumstances I would have been raised under the Soviet Bloc. Under those conditions I might have been shooting (??) by the time I was 13 and mebbe an afficianado of RF ???? I wouldn't for one tell Jason...."you blew it!!!!", I am proud that he made team and accept him even with warts. For a person to go against the USA tide of Bullseye and IPSC and USPSA, CAS----and shoot International events and have to go the extra ten miles---Hurray. So Mr. Loud Mouth, go with your assumptions and habitate under another bridge. "Doc"
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

rbwells wrote: I am 19 and hope to make the jr development team this upcoming year and i am here to tell you that in 4 years these older guys are going to hate us younger guys.
I admire your confidence and drive, and hopefully you mean the above as just an expression, but in case not I can tell you that every world class shooter I have met would not in any way hate younger guys giving them a strong challenge at the line. They are working every day to improve just like the rest of us, and they welcome anyone who has the skills and drive to nip at their heels and push them competitively. Far from hating strong competition, every world class shooter I have met has been willing to spend time, tips, and pointers with anyone who asks - even someone who is going to try and build on that assistance to challenge them. I've been involved at the world class level in two other sports, and by far my experience has been that shooters are more courteous, approachable, and gentlemanly than any other athlete (or at least than the two other sports I've been involved in. ;) ).

Thanks,
Ted Bell
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

BATT-59 wrote:The Olympics is a competitive shooters ultimate platform; you do not get to that level and forget how you got there. At that level, clarification for shooting poorly is frowned upon and reflects poorly on the shooter. Mr. Turner needs to stick his head in the sand and except comments from competitive shooters like me. Specifies for his low score should have been kept between him and his coach, because poor performance is not excuseable at that competitive level. He represented all the competitive air pistol shooters in America, failed and selfishly sought a pass by giving specifies for his lack of acomplishment. How selfish is that? I have meet and shot against Mr. Turner, so he does not get a pass from me. His coach needs be replaced, because it was his job to notice the lack of focus in Mr. Turner, and slap is his a-- back into reality before he got on the firing line.
Bottom-line: Mr. Turner is an excellent shooter whom I admire, he won the bronze medal in the 2008 Olympics, but he was not fully focused on this mission. He and his coach failed their Country in the 2012 Men's 10 meter air pistol.
Hey buddy, pull your head in and understand that EVERY shooter, no matter what country they shoot for has done their best when on the line.

Turner had a bad day, so what, get over it!!!

I would love to have a bad day and shoot like that... you seem to forget that sport is just entertainment, its not life or death, its entertainment
without a script!

If you think you could have done better, then why didnt you qualify to represent your country???

I am very proud of the Australian shooter who placed 28th place, he did his best and thats all you can ask!!!

Grow up or shut your mouth!