Left Handed?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
chewie49

Left Handed?

Post by chewie49 »

Hello guys,

My name is Alex and I am from Spaim. This is my first time here and in fact, I am new to Shooting.

I have been reading some manuals and they all say: "Grab the gun with the right hand"

Is this a RULE or Can I grab it with my Left hand as I am Left handed?

As I am new, i don't know if there is a federation rule that says that I should use my right hand to shoot and not the left.

Regards,

Alex.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Nope, no rule, shoot with your left hand ("right" is just used as that's the most common)

Good luck and have fun
Russ

Post by Russ »

The main idea behind this statement is to help athlete establish perfect grip control. As far you are left handed you have to use your right hand.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

8.1.3 When a Rule refers to right-handed shooters, the reverse of that Rule refers to left-handed shooters.
Orion

Post by Orion »

You also get the pleasure of purchasing an extra grip when buying used guns.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Alex, before you assume that because you are left handed you should shoot left handed, find an experienced competitive shooter, in the discipline that you want to shoot, and have them help you check your eye dominance. My father was a left handed rifle shooter, and he did a bit of experimentation with me to make sure that as a left handed person, I should also be shooting left handed.
Some people have more fine motor skills (triggering) in their non dominant hand. Some lefties are right eye dominant which makes it difficult to shoot pistol left handed. Some shooters have had to switch hands because of their dominance issues or injuries. There should be some people at your club that are experienced enough to help you with this.