Proper grips make a difference

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Antoni Scott

Proper grips make a difference

Post by Antoni Scott »

I have the S&W Mod 41, .22 cal., 7" barrel. The standard grips are terrible. I tried every US made grip available. Finally I was able to get a pair of Rink grips for my Mod. 41. The difference was amazing. This pistol is VERY accurate. The grip is very secure. I have an FWB Mod 93 and there is little difference.

I just don't understand why S&W can take a decent pistol such as the Mod. 41 and put junk grips on it.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I have an old 41 and find the grips quite comfortable. The only other grips I have are Herret's National grips which I really don't care for.

http://herrettstocks.com/national.htm

The fit is as much about how your hand is shaped as the grip. S&W probably puts a basic form on their 41 knowing that "serious" shooters are going to upgrade anyway.

Not to hijack the thread, but while we're on the subject of grips, what's with the 1911 and all of it's clones? I've found it to be like gripping a plank and very difficult to control.

Roger
gusso

Post by gusso »

I hear ya! My new Benelli MP 90s (somewhat new, I' ve had it for 5 months now) has the greatest grips I've ever held. It's made a huge improvement in my scores. I'm thinking of doing .45 BE as well now and will make similar match grips my top priority when getting a new pistol.
per82650

Grips

Post by per82650 »

Randall Fung grips are made for the 41's and 1911's. Takes a while to get them, but they work for me. (Small hands)
Chris_D

Post by Chris_D »

I have tried a number of different grips on the 41 and didn't really like any of them till I got the CMM grips. The CMM grips make the 41 feel very much like a 1911 and the skate board tape helps keep the gun stable in my hand. While they are around $200.00, I feel it was money well spent.

The stock grips feel good in my hand, however, the gun does not feel stable in my hand.

The Harret nationals, even being adjustable, never seemed to fit just right. Furthermore, I always ended up adjusting them too tight which pushes the web between the thumb and hand too far up the back of the gun. Pinching that area of the hand is a very bad thing when trying to achieve proper trigger control.

The Harret 1911 trainers are an okay grip, but they are so wide it really doesn't feel anything like a 1911. I would say they feel more like a 2 x 4 in your hand.

Reality is that each of us have a different size hand, different shape, different amounts of muscle and fat. Finding the perfect grip requires handling the gun and ideally shooting it to see if it works for you.

While at Perry I picked up the display 41 with the CMM grips at the CMM booth and fell in love instantly and bought them immediately. I can't say my scores improved at all, but I can say the gun feels better in my hand and it is much easier for me to get a consistent grip on the gun.

Chris D.
tuj

Post by tuj »

I personally love anatomical grips with a big palm shelf that you put on like a glove. Dick Horton does great work. Rink is nice too.