Re-Entering .22 Rifle Competition

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brian Lafferty

Re-Entering .22 Rifle Competition

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Back in my youth I shot 50ft with the Police Boys Club on Long Island. Didn't shoot much after college. My 14 yo daughter, all on her own, wants to get into .22 rifle. It's no problem getting her involved in that. So here's my question:
I would like to get into 50m prone shooting. I still have my Mossberg 144LS in pristine condition. I bought it in 1961 for $70. How suitable is that rifle for this event. I can't see any reason why it would not be fine starting out.

BTW, I did try on my old shooting jacket. Were my arms really THAT short back then? I have to say that the jackets used today do not look comfortable. Are they?

Thanks
justadude

Post by justadude »

For just having fun your Mossberg would be fine. For serious competition you will need an upgrade. I am not saying you need to go drop $3500+ on a brand new top of the line Anschutz, Walther or FWB but you will need something that is a more developed and refined target rifle.

The new gear, so long as it fits properly, there is no problem with comfort... so long as it is not too hot on the range. If it is hot on the range it can get a little warm in all that leather and canvas.

'Dude
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

justadude wrote:For just having fun your Mossberg would be fine. For serious competition you will need an upgrade. I am not saying you need to go drop $3500+ on a brand new top of the line Anschutz, Walther or FWB but you will need something that is a more developed and refined target rifle.

The new gear, so long as it fits properly, there is no problem with comfort... so long as it is not too hot on the range. If it is hot on the range it can get a little warm in all that leather and canvas.

'Dude
Back in the day, my best friend and team co-captain had an Anschutz and I usually outscored him on match day. The only thing clearly better on his rifle was the trigger. Should be fun to see what the Mossberg can do at 50m.

I know leather can be comfortable..........let's not go there. Thanks for the input.
moigy

Re-entering .22 competition

Post by moigy »

Back in the day, my Winchester 52C would beat out any and all comers. I still use that same rifle today, more than half a century later.
Brian Lafferty

Re: Re-entering .22 competition

Post by Brian Lafferty »

moigy wrote:Back in the day, my Winchester 52C would beat out any and all comers. I still use that same rifle today, more than half a century later.
Our PBC club had several Remington Targetmaster rifles that were quite nice. I'm also having a flashback to the government discounted ammo we used to get from a Canadian supplier. The brand name was Canuck and it was greasy stuff. We used to joke that the rounds were coated in duck fat.
anna

Post by anna »

I want to know more purchasing 308 based AR manufacturing supplies and about it’s working for its operation in different areas. AR type rifles come in very terrific designs.

308 ar manufacturers