Gun/scope box evolution

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kel P

Gun/scope box evolution

Post by Kel P »

Hello all,

Forgive me if this topic has been covered - I did what I considered to be a very thorough archive search!

Now that I either have or will be purchasing something akin to a collection of "stuff" (free pistol, cleaning supplies, scope, spare parts, ammo, ears, eyes/iris...), the various pieces are starting to look like a camping trip. Way back when, our shooting team used gun boxes that doubled nicely as scope stands on the shooting bench. From the archives, it looks like Pachmayr is no longer in production but shows up on EBay, and then there's Gun Ho and Strong Case. If memory serves, this style of gun box was great for local and driving matches, but had less purpose when flying -- we still sent the boxes, but they shipped empty, except for maybe a scope rolled up in bubble wrap.

It's hard to believe that in 25 years, there isn't a better strategy? I'm envisioning a Pelican-like case, highly shippable and secure for gun(s) and scope, but still nicely suitable for opening on the shooting bench and stably supporting a scope on a Hebard arm. And since I'm so much older now, how about some inline skate wheels like on my Tumi rollaway. Anyone have something like this?

The Pelican cases I've surveyed are not very rigid in the open position like the old Pachmayr wooden boxes. Plus, maybe it's not a great idea to roll a pistol box across the asphalt, as I can see screws working loose... although that surely will happen on an airliner flight (had to replace every bolt on my Tumi with Loctite). But such an integrated box would simplify life, unless I'm missing something.

Thoughts, guidance, anything that would bring me Back to the Future would be thoroughly appreciated!

Kel
Misny

Post by Misny »

The Army shooting teams have been using the Pelican gun cases for many years. They mounted a Gil Hebard scope mount and custom cut the foam for their equipment. It reportedly protects the equipment very well during travel. Pelican now makes a case with wheels and an extendable luggage like handle. The only drawback that I can see, is that the inside of the case looks like unburned powder, etc. would accumulate and might be hard to clean. Another problem might be when shooting where the rain got to the inside of the case. I would think it would be very hard to dry out and if one didn't get it totally dry, the expensive guns would suffer from the moisture.
lastman

Post by lastman »

1 problem I always found with using a box that doubles as a scope stand is that it was common to go to ranges where the benches could not accommodate the box.

I find a lightweight and compact scope and stand to be the most effective way.

Good luck