Need help choosing a good 10M PCP Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Rover wrote:The thing I enjoy about being a "smartass" is that everyone knows what to call me.

I'm going to give you some good advice on your air pistol purchase. Take it or leave it.

There is no way that a guy who (probably) has never shot a match in competition needs an air pistol that costs $2-3 thousand dollars with accessories (or even half that). Toy? OK... Need? No way!

Buy yourself a used IZH 46M or FWB 65 and a case of RWS Basic pellets. When your scores (in competition) are nudging AA or Master class, you may want to consider something more upscale. By then you'll have a better idea of what you need and will have had a chance to examine what the other competitors are using.

Tycho may agree with me (or not).

BTW Tycho, Ich liebte die Fasnacht in Basel. Bier und schnapps fur alles! Ich hatte viele gute Freunde in der Querpfeife und Trommel-Cliquen.
Of course, listen to Rover, he'll provide you with great advice. Granted your wallet will be a little or a lot lighter. But you'll have a great AP to shoot that you likely won't regret buying. Rover recommended a Pardini K58 (to me) some time ago. Until Rover suggested the K58 on this forum

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... hlight=k58

I had never heard of the K58 and would have instead purchased the IZH-46, which I believe that I ultimately would have been unhappy with. It's a boat anchor. Granted, while I never have had a chance to shoot an LP10 - which seems to the everyones first choice - the Pardini K58 certainly served me well and I was starting to shoot surprisingly well with it before having to give up AP after moving back into an Apartment.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Might I suggest that you update your profile and include at least a state, you might actually find someone near by. That is if you are in the US.

Personally I see nothing wrong with getting a top pistol to start off with, if you can afford it then good. Any of the pistols that you mentioned can be adjusted to fit your needs and likes. That said I suggest that once you get it shoot it and don't spend lots of time screwing with adjustments in the hopes of improving your score. It won't, make sure the trigger weight is at least 500 grams and then shoot it (don't worry about the trigger being exactly 500 grams either 525-550 will do just fine). As you shoot and hopefully compete you will learn what you like and what the adjustments do then and only then make adjustments.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The one thing that is hard to tweak after you've spent big bucks on an air pistol is the balance, at least if it is too muzzle heavy. With some pistols, you have the option of getting shorter cylinders. Also, if you can find a factory grip that is at least close to what you want, it takes a lot less work to tune it up. The Steyrs give you more flexibility than most in the grip angle. If I HAD to buy an air pistol sight unseen, I'd probably go with the Steyr just for that reason.
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

I just purchased a Morini 162M, and will also have a Steyr as soon as the model I want is back in stock at Pilkguns.Both guns are new ! I want to have two different guns to see how each performs, I know they will both outshoot me.
Also, if I have friends over we have two pistols to shoot.
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's great! Both superb choices. Now ask us what kind of pellets to use.
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

No, because you will tell me the ones that shoot the best !
The shame on you, shame on me rule applies on this forum correct ?
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

bzizzi373 wrote: No, because you will tell me the ones that shoot the best !
The shame on you, shame on me rule applies on this forum correct ?
You are correct that that rule applies. However, you will get two answers:

1) Use the ones that shoot the best.
2) It doesn't matter as long as it is a quality pellet.

Personally, I believe 2) applies until you are shooting at the very top level. And even then, some will say that it is more a matter of confidence than actual performance.

Welcome to the club!

Roger
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

A nice quality pellets will shoot 5 shots in a hole that is so small that you can place a 6th pellet in the hole without it falling through. Use a wise to set up the gun and adjust the f/s so that pellet you use perform its best.
Then test the cheapest pellets you can find see how small the difference is.....
Remember also that a perfect pellet choice will ALWAYS give you a 9 if you shoot a 9,6 but a "normal" pellet will sometime "give" you an 10 and never a 8 so why bother in the first place :-) The 9 is larger than the 10!
a wise guy
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

So, what are the pellets of choice, geve me at least three or four to try please.
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

Go for

RWS Hobby, RWS R10 and H&N Finale Match. That should be enough for a first time try out. chances are you will not see any difference in grouping even thought they vary in cost.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't forget JSB (four types), RWS Basic or Club (cheap), Vogel (three types), and the new Chinese pellets.

Since you're not shooting in competition, you could also try all the round nose pells.

Don't forget that most of the match pellets come in different diameters. You may wish to experiment with those.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Just for grins, you might want to have a look at this page. The section at the bottom has a paragraph on pellets and some interesting pics:

http://www.pilkguns.com/buildrange.shtml

Basically, you can buy a few tins of quality pellets and learn to shoot or you could buy good gun rest and a tin of every pellet you can find (don't forget the Chinese pellets) and spend the next 6 months or so punching targets and taking notes.

Roger
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

This Pistol is amazing, don't think I will be ordering another one any time soon.
8 shot group @ 10 meters in basement.
Other targets look similar !
Off hand no practice, did not make any adjustments to gun other than move bottom shelf down so my hand would fit in grip. Ordered Med grip, exchanging for large.
Attachments
IMG_3296.JPG
bzizzi373

Post by bzizzi373 »

So, explain how 10 meter pistol comp works, scoring, number of shots ??
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's simple. You have 105 minutes to shoot 60 shots with one hand. You can also shoot all the "sighters" you want in that time, but they must be shot before the first shot for score. Most matches shoot one, two, three, or five shots per numbered target (that's so you can't shoot a bad target and replace it). You also get a couple of sighter targets.

If a shot touches a higher value scoring ring you get the higher value. Ignore the small ring inside the 10 ring.

To compete in a Registered match you must be a member of USA Shooting. They will also issue you a classification after a few matches.

The shooter that holds his mouth right wins.
chubskee

Post by chubskee »

joe1347 wrote:Recommend ignoring Tycho given your interest in a new or newer model air pistol.

Granted, if you were looking for a used older model - then yes - reviewing older threads is certainly relevant and Tycho is correct. However, air pistol (AP) manufacturers clearly have come out with quite a few new and interesting models quite recently - especially electronic trigger variants - and a 5 year old review of the best AP that was only available with a mechanical trigger may longer be relevant.

With than in mind, I suspect that some of us are curious to hear the LATEST opinions on the newer air pistols with electronic triggers and whether (or not) they are worth the price premium to the 'basement' shooter (LP10 vs. LP10E).
hi so LP10 vs. LP10E was a both good ahm... need some i deas
^_^ thanks..