Commonwealth Games - Shooting Disciplines

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alexander

Post by Alexander »

David Levene wrote:The programme is correct. They are now the only shooting events in the Commonwealth Games.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. So they now dropped 25 metres centrefire pistol (men) ?

Alexander
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:
David Levene wrote:The programme is correct. They are now the only shooting events in the Commonwealth Games.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. So they now dropped 25 metres centrefire pistol (men) ?
Yes, and Standard Pistol.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thank you for the clarification. Well. At least there _are_ cartridge pistol disciplines being shot on main British (Scottish) soil again; which in and by itself is good. The more the merrier.

Alexander
j-team

Post by j-team »

David Levene wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Yes, and Standard Pistol.
I have heard that they will be back for the 2018 CWGs on the Gold Coast Aus.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The list of all Section 5 Authorities by "The Scottish Ministers" (that's how the issuing authority is called up there) is online (heavily anonymized though). Cut-off-date is 2010 or 2011.
What I found interesting, is that there were absolutely no licences for the purpose of sport shooting visible, not one. Maybe that will change in view of the Commonwealth Games. I always thought that Kristian Callaghan (e.g.) were a Scotsman?

Alexander
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Alexander wrote:I always thought that Kristian Callaghan (e.g.) were a Scotsman?
No, he's English.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Ah. Thank you for helping me with that. It was my impression that he is the best British pistol shooter presently.
(Of course he has attracted less media attention than the three ladies.)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Alexander wrote:Ah. Thank you for helping me with that. It was my impression that he is the best British pistol shooter presently.
(Of course he has attracted less media attention than the three ladies.)
He's certainly the best junior pistol shooter, and is up amongst the best male pistol shooters. Shooting air and rapid fire make for a slightly unusual combination, but it works well for him (and some others). Given the problems with cartridge pistol shooting in the UK, his acheivments in RF are very impressive !

Rob.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

1. Thank you for helping me with a more balanced relative assessment; I have duly noted your careful formulation.

2. His ISSF results (in the shooters' database) must be seen in context with his national results (as e.g. can be gleaned from the lists of the British Pistol Club - the other competitions are simply too hidden and inaccessible in the dysfunctional and fractionalised mess that British shooting organisations and their websites are). I understand that NSRA would nominally be the governing body for the smallbore pistole disciplines. The strange competing role of ESSU / TENS etc. in this field is too silly for me to even _try_ to understand.

3. Section 5 authorities have been one (very tedious, slow and toilsome) way of re-introducing cartridge pistol shooting for a selected few. I wonder whether juniors can also benefit from this option; e.g. Anna Rehfisch.
Another way is the admission of a few civilian ranges for cartridge pistol training (and not just MOD ranges), as e.g. the "Tunnel" now apparently is?
And lastly, there is the on-going e-petition that strives to re-classify .22 sport pistols as Section 1 firearms, which is very sensible.

4. Did the defunct National Pistol Association commit voluntary suicide immediately after Dunblane (as I recall, the captain of that ship jumped into the lifeboat as the very first, and quickly rowed away, leaving the others where they were), or did it cling to life for a bit longer? Just curious...

Regards,
Alexander