music

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Peakconti

music

Post by Peakconti »

I had a question, one of my new shooters a doctor was using a MP3 player while shooting, it really kept him focused. Granted he is a new shooter, and shoots like one. He has a ways to go, but he seemed to enjoy listening to the music and it relaxed him.

It got me to thinking, can you do that? are their any rules against that? I would immagine that depending on the type of music it could be relaxing, hard core rock could get you a little to excited I would guess. But I was thinking that perhaps it could be a good thing. My guess is since you do not see anyone do it, olympics and so on, their must be a rule a against it. Or perhaps studies show its distracting to your concentration. Safty wise I can see someone raising a concern, because you are really in your own world, do not hear anyone else. So I do not think you would hear a cease fire.

When I shoot air rifle at home in my gararge I usually have the radio on. I actually tried it out tonight while practicing, listened to some melow clasic rock, I liked it, did not have to listen to the other shooters moan when they took a bad shot.

What are your thoughts? My guess is its against some rule.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ISSF Rule 6.2.5
Sound Producing Equipment
Only sound reducing devices may be used. Radios, tape recorders, or any type of sound producing or communication systems are prohibited during competitions and any training.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

David Levene wrote:ISSF Rule 6.2.5
Only sound reducing devices may be used. Radios, tape recorders, or any type of sound producing or communication systems are prohibited during competitions and any training.
out of curiosity, are active(uses a battery) noise cancelling headphones legal for ISSF competitions?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Jordan1s wrote:
out of curiosity, are active(uses a battery) noise cancelling headphones legal for ISSF competitions?
My understanding is that normal electronic ear defenders, where high volume sounds are reduced, are fine.

If however you are talking about the type of headphone where an inverse of the ambient noise is applied, I think that you would be skating on thin ice. I haven't heard of any ruling on those from the ISSF so it would probably be a Jury decision.

I do wonder how effective they would be with high volume sound. I have a pair of Bose noise cancellers that I must remember to try on a range.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

David Levene wrote:
Jordan1s wrote:
My understanding is that normal electronic ear defenders, where high volume sounds are reduced, are fine.

If however you are talking about the type of headphone where an inverse of the ambient noise is applied, I think that you would be skating on thin ice. I haven't heard of any ruling on those from the ISSF so it would probably be a Jury decision.

I do wonder how effective they would be with high volume sound. I have a pair of Bose noise cancellers that I must remember to try on a range.
That's the exact headphone I was referencing to! I mainly use mine on the bus or on airlines, but, if they're legal, I'll use them for shooting as well. Right now, I use standard earplugs, but i figure the noise cancelling headphones will be much more effective.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Jordan1s wrote:
David Levene wrote:
Jordan1s wrote:out of curiosity, are active(uses a battery) noise cancelling headphones legal for ISSF competitions?

That's the exact headphone I was referencing to! I mainly use mine on the bus or on airlines, but, if they're legal, I'll use them for shooting as well. Right now, I use standard earplugs, but i figure the noise cancelling headphones will be much more effective.
I wouldn't use them in a match without checking with the Jury first. Because of that, I wouldn't use them in training either.

(Whilst they are brilliant for travelling, I mainly use mine when doing grocery shopping; it's almost pleasureable without the noise of screaming kids)
Peakconti

Post by Peakconti »

Thanks, so music is out. Oh well.

Odd that it mentions training too. While I think you should train in the same conditions that you shoot your match (most of the time), I think it should be none of their bussiness how you decide to train, on your own time, perhaps in your own home. How they would ever enforce such a rule is behond me.

I actually shoot in an indoor winter league that uses NRA Rules so I guess it would be fine for that, then again I use the league as a way to stay sharp and train for the ISSF type matches so that would be training I guess too??

Bottom line I undestand the reason for not being allowed to use it in a match and therefor would prefer to train that way, so that fine, it just goes against my conservative mind to be told what to do in my own house.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Peakconti wrote:Odd that it mentions training too. While I think you should train in the same conditions that you shoot your match (most of the time), I think it should be none of their bussiness how you decide to train, on your own time, perhaps in your own home. How they would ever enforce such a rule is behond me.
They are talking about the training allowed at matches they have control over.

At other matches it is down to the organisers whether they want to apply the rules fully. In your own home, do what you want.
Peakconti wrote:I actually shoot in an indoor winter league that uses NRA Rules so I guess it would be fine for that, then again I use the league as a way to stay sharp and train for the ISSF type matches so that would be training I guess too??
I've no idea what NRA rules allow.
andrea

Post by andrea »

While I agree that training conditions should reflect the conditions one will find in a match, I think that some exercises can e done differently, as long as they can set you in the best phisical and mental condition and as long as you can "recall" them in a match.

For instance I often do my training shooting sessions barefoot to feel better my stance and weight distribution. I don't know if I would do during a match (I never bothered to check if this would be allowed, actually).

So, music could, in my opinion, be used as a "mental state" inducing tool (sorry I don't know how to express it in other words, after all English isn't my first language), only during matches the shooter must rely in "music from inside".

Andrea
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The reason that they are not allowed during official training is that it is required that the shooters be able to hear any range commands that happen to be given during training and/or the match.

Many juries allow during a match setup up to prep time when you are officially under control of the range officers.

Sorta along that line as well:
6.3.6.6 The use of mobile telephones, walkie-talkies, pagers or similar devices by competitors, coaches and team officials while within the competition area is prohibited. All mobile telephones etc. must be switched OFF.
6.3.6.6.1 Notices must be displayed to indicate to spectators that mobile phones must be switched OFF and flash photography is prohibited until all competition is completed.
This means iPads, iPhones, etc cannot be used as personal timers.
muldoon9

Training with music

Post by muldoon9 »

How does your coach feel about it ?
M-
Last edited by muldoon9 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Music you like I think could be counter productive for training, when we shoot and train on our range as long as there are not those present who don't think like us then we usualy have a radio on, on any station, usualy a speaking one, which we use as a concentration aid. Two radio's on different stations work even better! Two many people train or shoot in their own clubs in total silence, you get the death stare from the old fart in the corner if a pin drops, and then they go to a match with background noise which is common and they get flustered by it.
Good shooting
Robin
muldoon9

Post by muldoon9 »

LOL.
Quiet clubs can be funny when a noise does happen.
M-