ELEY test center

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

#1texan

ELEY test center

Post by #1texan »

I heard a that ELEY was opening a test center somewhere in the US does anybody know anything about it?
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

ha, maby they will in response to Lapuas test facility.

ill keep my eyes open for you
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Yes, Eley is opening a test range in Texas at Dan Killough's place. This was in the planning stages long before Lapua opened their new facility. Eley has also just opened a new test range in Germany. The Texas range is due to open by the end of August or early September.

Eric U
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

That's great and within driveing distance.
Thanks for the info
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Eric U wrote:Yes, Eley is opening a test range in Texas at Dan Killough's place. This was in the planning stages long before Lapua opened their new facility. Eley has also just opened a new test range in Germany. The Texas range is due to open by the end of August or early September.

Eric U
Where in Texas is this place located? It could be a few hours from me or an entire days drive, we are talking about Texas here after all. When I hit the state line on I-10 a sign says Beaumont 45 miles and El Paso 897 miles.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

This is great news ! I just got my (previously untested) eley tenex ammo tested in Munich at the RWS testing range and it performed pretty bad compared to some of their batches of R50. I was planning on switching to R50, but may be I should wait instead until we can test in this new Eley US facility then ?
#1texan

Post by #1texan »

Dan Killough is in Winters Tx about 45 minutes south of Abilene
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Well although I am glad that Eley are opening test facilities outside of the UK, I am very dissapointed in the way they treat their previous loyal customers.
For over 2 years I have been waiting to use the test centre in the UK but have been fobbed off with excuses.
I hope that the people running the facilities in the US get better treatment from Eley than my friend and I have had.

Eley customer relations stink
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

GaryD wrote:Well although I am glad that Eley are opening test facilities outside of the UK, I am very dissapointed in the way they treat their previous loyal customers.
For over 2 years I have been waiting to use the test centre in the UK but have been fobbed off with excuses.
I hope that the people running the facilities in the US get better treatment from Eley than my friend and I have had.

I suspect Eley know that and opening the centres elsewhere should reduce the pressure on the UK facility. They were advertising spaces next week, but very shortly will likely be full up as teams test in the run up to the olympics.

Rob.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Martyn Buttery, the customer range manager at the Eley factory, has just mentioned on Facebook that there are spaces available for this coming week on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

RobStubbs wrote:
GaryD wrote:Well although I am glad that Eley are opening test facilities outside of the UK, I am very dissapointed in the way they treat their previous loyal customers.

I suspect Eley know that and opening the centres elsewhere should reduce the pressure on the UK facility. They were advertising spaces next week, but very shortly will likely be full up as teams test in the run up to the olympics.

Rob.
I agree with what you are saying Rob, but my friend and I had two slots booked but they were early in the morning so I phoned them to ask if we could possibly change them to one in the afternoon to allow us plenty of time to get there.
I spoke to Martyn Buttery who said that he was about to call us to cancel the booking as they did not have enough ammunition there for us to test and that he would also have to put off some Americans that were coming over for the same reason.
I also told him that my friend and I could go there at short notice if neccesary but we havn't heard a thing, this if I remember correctly was at the beginning of the year.

Last year my friend was waiting for a slot for the both of us but got knowwhere with Eley.
So we ended up batch testing at Bisley with RWS.
It seems as if Eley dont want to know about the people who shoot at grass root level, but we buy their ammunition just the same as everybody else, they only seem to care about the Elite Shooters.
The UK Government complain about the lack of manufacturing in this country yet you have a British company (unless it's been taken over) being unable to supply enough product for us to test yet are opening up other places worldwide.
What about the little people who supported them in the past, they dont care about us !!!!
The rant is now over.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

bruce wrote:Martyn Buttery, the customer range manager at the Eley factory, has just mentioned on Facebook that there are spaces available for this coming week on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Thanks Bruce for letting me know about Facebook, I didn't know Eley had a page on there.
Unfortunatly I will be unable to do any testing for about six weeks as I am going to be busy for a while, but thanks for letting me know about it.
Gary
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

GaryD wrote:The UK Government complain about the lack of manufacturing in this country yet you have a British company (unless it's been taken over) being unable to supply enough product for us to test yet are opening up other places worldwide.
What about the little people who supported them in the past, they dont care about us
It would be interesting to know what percentage of their production actually goes to the UK market. I suspect it will be very small, and has been that way for decades.
GOVTMODEL

Eley Customer Range

Post by GOVTMODEL »

A couple of thoughts on this topic. (I haven't been to the Customer Range since it moved.)

The new range has two lanes, rather than three like the old one, so there is a significant loss of capacity. You'll have to ask management why a new facility with less capacity was even considered.

When Bert Brookes was the Range Officer he once told me that nearly 30% of all TENEX was sold through the Customer Range. In that same conversation he noted that the USA was third or fourth in market size.

Lastly, there is/was a formal policy that when inventory got low the Customer Range would be closed to avoid shooters not having an adequate sample population. I don't recall the criteria.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

bruce wrote:Martyn Buttery, the customer range manager at the Eley factory, has just mentioned on Facebook that there are spaces available for this coming week on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Hi Bruce,
I have had a look on Facebook but cannot find the details you described,
could you please post me a link to it.

Gareth
bruce

Post by bruce »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/benchrestshow/

You might have to join the group to see the wall.
GCSInc

.22 Test Ranges?

Post by GCSInc »

What distance are these tests conducted? I have a 10 point, 50m indoor range that could be used. We're 30 miles south of Atlanta GA USA.

Roy
GOVTMODEL

Re: .22 Test Ranges?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

GCSInc wrote:What distance are these tests conducted? I have a 10 point, 50m indoor range that could be used. We're 30 miles south of Atlanta GA USA.

Roy
The Eley Customer Range is a 50 meter range. What makes it special is the inventory of TENEX for testing. When I went there were seventeen (17) batches in inventory.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Does Eley have a specific test procedure that they use for everyone or can the customer "do what they want"? Is there a written test procedure?Is testing done in the stock or just with the barreled action? If in the stock, is there a "normal" procedure to perform bedding screw torque testing or other tuning (e.g. bloop tube tuner)?
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

bruce wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/benchrestshow/

You might have to join the group to see the wall.
Thanks bruce