Advice on involuntary blinking

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tleddy

Advice on involuntary blinking

Post by tleddy »

I have finally figured out that my aiming eye is blinking at the end of the shot release. I discovered that I am not seeing the gun go in to recoil.

When I consciously force the eye not to blink, the thought interferes with the trigger control... that is, thinking about something else than the release.
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's called a "flinch". They occur in varying degrees with some different shooters.

I'm a believer in dry firing and air pistol training.
Isabel1130

Re: Advice on involuntary blinking

Post by Isabel1130 »

tleddy wrote:I have finally figured out that my aiming eye is blinking at the end of the shot release. I discovered that I am not seeing the gun go in to recoil.

When I consciously force the eye not to blink, the thought interferes with the trigger control... that is, thinking about something else than the release.

Blinking'in an involuntary reflex that occurs frequently for most people. Do you cover or blur out one eye when you shoot? If you do, try closing your non shooting eye instead. You may find it more difficult to blink with one of your eyes already closed. Also try to start your triggering sooner. It should take you no more than a second or two from the start of your triggering until the shot breaks. Holding the gun up too long will almost guarantee that you will blink as the gun fires or shortly after.
Rover

Post by Rover »

When he blinks at the same point every time in the shot cycle, it has become a conditioned reflex.

That reflex must be subdued. As I said, dry fire and AP until it's mastered.

I'm fairly certain of this, because it happens to me once in a while. I would also bet that it is accompanied by a less than great trigger release.
Last edited by Rover on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tleddy

Blink...

Post by tleddy »

The blinking does not happen all of the time - rather, once in a while. I see the results on the target - Blink=horrible result.

I can hold 8-ring or better at 50 yards and 9 ring at 25 yards. Anything outside of those is the result of the blink, which may be a symptom of a flinch, anticipating the shot.

There is no reason, other than flinch, to back up an 88 slow fire with a 65! Ditto at Time Fire a 98-7X followed by an 85 - 1X.

I have just switched my dry fire from iron sights to dot. I can easily see any trigger release error with the dot, while the irons can be difficult to determine. BTW - I prefer to shoot with irons... just old habit, I guess, from the 1960s.