New IZH 46M Owner with Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
arjuna70

New IZH 46M Owner with Questions

Post by arjuna70 »

I just purchased a Izzy to take to Canada for my vacation coming up. I do have a Morini 162EI but it is considered a restricted firearm and a huge hassle to bring into Canada. Fortunately, the Izzy is not per the RCMP since it is slower than 500 fps.

It's a beautful pistol. I really like it. I didn't have high hopes for it but I was wrong. Some time on the grip with a dremmel tool and Quickwood and I was shooting it as well as the Morini. Not to mention that you can dry fire to your hearts content. Great great pistol, wish I got one sooner.

A few questions....

First, can anyone identify these part for me in the picture below. The one on the far right is a multi-tool but I'm not sure the purpose of all the sides. The punch I assume is a punch, just not sure what pins you would ever want to punch out. Its the 4 parts from the left I can't figure out. I can't find them in the manual. Any help?

Second, how can you get replacement seals for the flip up mechanism. I would like to have a couple handy incase the other two flip out or get damaged.

Third, any suggestion on how to loosen the trigger screw. Its very tight and I don't want to rip the thread off. Any idea the size so I could get an easier to turn replacement screw. The thread is wide and hard to turn.

Thanks for the help.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Left 2 are different sized front sight inserts, next is the main piston seal (replacement), and 4th from the left is different width rear sight saddles (the one on the gun has 2 options as well). I like the widest front/rear combo myself and never really change, but you have options.

They used to come with a full compliment of replacement seals as new. You can buy them through Pyramyd Air or their proxy of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/IZH-46M-Seal-O-Ri ... B001BR6M0S

As for the screw, I'm not sure why this is such a secret, but force is cumulative. So if you hold on the screw with just enough force that you don't cam out (start to strip), and HOLD it there for awhile, the force will build up and the screw will loosen. It'll be easy to turn once you break it free of the initial over-tightened situation.

This might come in handy as you set the trigger to your liking:

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spizh46.htm
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

Thanks so much for the help. You really cleared things up for me. I can't believe I couldn't figure out that they were front and rear sights!

How about the multi-tool and the punch. What are all the sides for aside from the two flat head shaped screwdrivers. And the punch, is there some reason why they provide it with the pistol.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

arjuna70 wrote:How about the multi-tool and the punch. What are all the sides for aside from the two flat head shaped screwdrivers. And the punch, is there some reason why they provide it with the pistol.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
No idea, I tossed them in my "junk" box and use higher quality tools. Too much time as a motorcycle mechanic, knowing the value of quality tools (and how much poor tools cost in terms of replacement fasteners) I suppose.

Looks like 3 screwdriver points and some sort of spanner.
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

Good advice. I appreciate the help.
Packrat1947

Those tight trigger adjustment screws

Post by Packrat1947 »

I too am a new owner.

Upon adjusting those screws, I found them extremely hard to turn. I felt that the head would surely break before they started moving. The "class fit" (thread fit) is beyond what I'm accustomed too. There is no need for it.

Heck, Remington used to seal their trigger screws with clear nail polish. It worked very well and broke loose when you wanted it to.

Packrat1947

www.pbase.com/packrat
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

It's been a while (and I'm not at home to confirm) but I seem to remember that the screws for the rear sight inserts have a reverse thread on them.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Reverse thread is one way of looking at it. Another is that the heads of those bolts are flat and the drive slots are at the tip end. They are conventional right hand threads, just slotted at the opposite end compared to the usual way bolts work.
markbrumbaugh

Post by markbrumbaugh »

To move the trigger, compress the trigger (its slotted) with tape wrapped needle nose vise grips. That will take some pressure off. The distributor will be glad to send you a new screw if you mess it up.