KK300 misfire

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bntarrw

KK300 misfire

Post by Bntarrw »

Hello to all the KK 300 shooters. I cleaned the the rifle and bolt for my son for a match. I test fired the rifle with only a couple of shots. Packed the rifle up and off to the outdoor match. He started on his sighters targets and after his 3rd sighter the rifle wouldn't fire every time. But it would fire on the second attempt. We tired several different ammo. The only ammo not affected as much was federal . (he never had a issue prior to the cleaning). We completely disassembled the bolt cleaned and reassembled and it did better but it still had some miss fires. Kevin or Robin I would really like to know if you have had any issues

Thanks
randy1952

Re: KK300 misfire

Post by randy1952 »

Bntarrw wrote:Hello to all the KK 300 shooters. I cleaned the the rifle and bolt for my son for a match. I test fired the rifle with only a couple of shots. Packed the rifle up and off to the outdoor match. He started on his sighters targets and after his 3rd sighter the rifle wouldn't fire every time. But it would fire on the second attempt. We tired several different ammo. The only ammo not affected as much was federal . (he never had a issue prior to the cleaning). We completely disassembled the bolt cleaned and reassembled and it did better but it still had some miss fires. Kevin or Robin I would really like to know if you have had any issues

Thanks
Try checking the firing pin and the head spacing.
TennJay

Post by TennJay »

My problem was that I had reassembled the bolt incorrectly which ended up causing my firing pin to break after a few shots. That is the only misfire problem that I have ever had.

When decocked, my firing pin is just shy of being even with the leading edge of the bolt face. It looks level, but I can't feel it when I drag my finger across it.

I can send a photo or 2 later tonight if need be.

Jay
bugman1955

misfire

Post by bugman1955 »

In my case, I moved the trigger assembly back and had no more misfires.
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

Jay I checked his bolt and his firing pin is just below the bolt face. I can't get he image to come up as a attachment[/img]
randy1952

misfire

Post by randy1952 »

Bntarrw wrote:Jay I checked his bolt and his firing pin is just below the bolt face. I can't get he image to come up as a attachment[/img]
You can also check the shell casing on the misfires and see what kind of hits are on the primers. I think you've already narrowed down to the firing pin and head space.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Bntarrw wrote:Hello to all the KK 300 shooters. I cleaned the the rifle and bolt for my son for a match. I test fired the rifle with only a couple of shots. Packed the rifle up and off to the outdoor match. He started on his sighters targets and after his 3rd sighter the rifle wouldn't fire every time. But it would fire on the second attempt. We tired several different ammo. The only ammo not affected as much was federal . (he never had a issue prior to the cleaning). We completely disassembled the bolt cleaned and reassembled and it did better but it still had some miss fires. Kevin or Robin I would really like to know if you have had any issues

Thanks
Hi
I've not had any issues with either of ours. It does sound like a bolt problem, even if you dismantled the bolt when cleaning, its so simple I can't really see how you could reassemble it wrongly. I don't dismantle mine to clean them, just use a denture brush.
The problem is in the bolt. Has he been doing dry firing with out an empty or a snap cap between the last shoot and this? This can break the pin, and it can be either the first time or after years of dry firing, but at some time it will break! I think you've broken something and the most likely is the firing pin, or the spring but I think the spring would be obvious, I bet there is a chip off the firing pin, have a look with a good magnifying glass. It was probably a coincidence that it became obvious after a clean.
Best of Luck.
Robin
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

Hi
I've not had any issues with either of ours. It does sound like a bolt problem, even if you dismantled the bolt when cleaning, its so simple I can't really see how you could reassemble it wrongly. I don't dismantle mine to clean them, just use a denture brush.
The problem is in the bolt. Has he been doing dry firing with out an empty or a snap cap between the last shoot and this? This can break the pin, and it can be either the first time or after years of dry firing, but at some time it will break! I think you've broken something and the most likely is the firing pin, or the spring but I think the spring would be obvious, I bet there is a chip off the firing pin, have a look with a good magnifying glass. It was probably a coincidence that it became obvious after a clean.
Best of Luck.
Robin[/quote]

I have had to disassemble my KK200 bolt it had so much crap built up after many years that it was interfering with the firing pin.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Randy
Michael only bought his new this year so its most unlikely to be crap holding back the pin. But, it would still be a good move to strip the bolt now, flush out the inside carefully and inspect the pin with a glass, my money is on a damaged pin unless it is some flooky crap thats got in and stuck itself to the inside stopping the pin going all the way forward.
Let us know when you solve it Michael.
Best of Luck
Robin
randy1952

Pin

Post by randy1952 »

RobinC wrote:Randy
Michael only bought his new this year so its most unlikely to be crap holding back the pin. But, it would still be a good move to strip the bolt now, flush out the inside carefully and inspect the pin with a glass, my money is on a damaged pin unless it is some flooky crap thats got in and stuck itself to the inside stopping the pin going all the way forward.
Let us know when you solve it Michael.
Best of Luck
Robin
I would agree that the pin is probably damaged. I had a friend of mine who had a bur on his firing pin and if your dry firing without protection like a dummy round or a number 4 dry wall socket. The pin could get damaged.
stacker10x

Post by stacker10x »

Thanks
stacker10x

Post by stacker10x »

Thanks
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

Well, put a new firing pin no help, removed triggers assembly to see if anything was in it causing interferance. Nothing!!! We tried different ammo Wolf (from two lot numbers.) R50, and federals. About every other shot it won't fire. IT has be boxed and shipped back to CC ITs still under warrnty!!! We have a shoot in a week and half I dont know if it will be done in time. Another bit of info is the bolt would not remove a LIVE round once it was loaded. But it would remove the spent rounds.
justadude

Post by justadude »

A target rifle that will not extract a live round is not all that unusual. It is a sign of a tight throat at the entrance to the rifled part of the barrel. A few of my rifles do this.

When the bolt closes the band on the actual bullet is forced into the lands of the barrel. On some barrels this can put quite a grip on the bullet and the extractor claws do not have enough tension in their springs to hold the shell casing and pull the bullet back if you wish to unload the rifle.

Not a big deal and not the source of your misfire problem.

Cheers
'Dude
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Michael
Ours will rarely extract a live round thats no problem. Before you box it off and send it pick up the phone (get your German times right though!!) a ring them at the factory, they may be able to talk you through what to check. I'll PM you a direct number and contact who will help or find some one who can.
best regards
Robin
BJ

Post by BJ »

If the firing pin is not the problem and you took the trigger assembly off then you have a trigger timing problem. I have seen this exact problem happen to numerous people that took their triggers off and didn’t know the correct way to put them back on. What’s happening is the sear and the firing pin isn’t aligned correctly. When you close the bolt, the firing pin isn’t catching like its supposed to every time. Sometimes its catching but has slipped slightly forward such that when you pull the trigger the cartridge isn’t receiving a hard strike like it should. Other times it catches in the right place and strikes with full force igniting the round.

Brian
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

PROBLEM SOLVED' My sons bolt was missing one of two springs. Champions choice fixed it up and got it back to us just in time for my sons next shoot.