Pistiol ??

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

firefirst

Pistiol ??

Post by firefirst »

I have a MKIII target/competition, with the works done to it for bullseye shooting and it is a darn good shooter! I am shooting in the upper 80's. I have had this gun for a year and I think in about another year I think I should be time to move up to the next step in pistols. Dont want to but Will this ruger get me good enought scores to stay with the big boys or will I have to move to a new gun and if so what would be the next step up thanks
bullseyeny

Post by bullseyeny »

Consider a test. If the gun, on a sand bag, with you pulling the trigger can shoot all tens then the gun is not the issue. That does not represent the fact that some gun are more adjustable and point better for folks than others. You must find something that fits and feels right for natural point of aim and the like. I shoot with several folks using Rugers that that shoot very consistent 95s. I love new equipment as much as the next guy and if the pyschological impact of you having new better equipment will help you shoot better then go for it. But what I realized when sandbagging my gun was that it and the cheapest target ammo I can buy shoot better than me. FWIW
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Are you shooting Center fire and 45 yet? If not, do you have any desire to? I would hold off on a new rim fire gun unless rim fire is all you are going to shoot, and you just really want a new gun.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

I am currently shooting one of the same guns. I made expert with it and I am pushing master with the it. It is insanely accurate. I get sub 1" groups with it at 50yds off of bags. If it you can shoot it well enough why change it??? Just my 2cents.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The gun is fine! Think about spending money on Olympic style grips and prescription shooting glasses (and ammo). These things will pay off far more than a new gun.

Many Bullseye shooteres are discovering the virtue of match air pistols for training at home and for matches in their own right. You might want to spend your money there. (See the Olympic Pistol section for info on these.)
firefirst

Post by firefirst »

Thanks that what I wanted to hear get an air gun (IZH) shoot a lot of pellets, and do the grip thing glass are the next on the list thanks again
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

That ruger is capable of X ring groups at 50 yards, the only reason to change guns is for better ergonomics. If its not shooting that good, spend your money on better ammo.
tuj

Post by tuj »

The gun is fine, use some CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Sport.
Rover

Post by Rover »

BTW ALL the BEST Bullseye shooters at Phoenix R&G have and use air pistols ( and some not so good).
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Your Ruger is capable of getting you to Perry and be competitive. I'm not sure your Ruger is military gripped with the same angle as a Colt 45, but I shoot 45 style grip angles in all my guns. I am thinking of purchasing an air pistol, but it would do less good if I bought a European style grip with a tremendous amount of wrist bending that permeates these guns. I may be totally wrong, but the hardest gun to master is the 45 and I know that Pardini makes a 45 which might make sense if you shoot better with a cocked wrist. I will be shooting a Colt angled clone in air pistol. Not sure what model is out there, but I will be looking. I just don't want to devolve into two shooting styles of bullseye. Does this make any sense at all?
Chris
Rover

Post by Rover »

For pure Bullseye training, it would be had to beat an old FWB 65.

It is cheap (but well made), it has a recoil simulator (or recoilless), heavy and light trigger selector, extraordinary accuracy, and the grips are not too extreme.

It requires nothing more than a tin of pellets and a box of rags to get in some serious training. It is competent enough to win if you wanted to compete in an AP match.

I bought my first one after a Camp Perry "wake-up call".