Freeland Rear Tube Sight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NMC_EXP

Freeland Rear Tube Sight

Post by NMC_EXP »

Freeland made a rear tube sight. It was approximately 6 inches long and .75 inches in diameter. It was mounted in Unertl rings/bases.

If anyone is familar with this sight, I have some questions:

1. What was used for the rear aperture? Was the rear of the tube threaded for a Merit adjustable aperture or something similar?

2. Were actual Unertl rings/bases used or were they copies?

3. Was it a decent sight? Advantages/disadvantages?

Asking because I may bid on a rifle equipped with this sight.

Thanks and best regards.

Jim
WSmith

Freeland Rear Tube Sight

Post by WSmith »

The Al Freeland rear tube sight was actually a 1" diameter tube the was mounted in actual Unertl 1" mounts. It can be found threaded for both the Merit/Redfield disc systems, as well as larger threads for European style eye pieces.

The Freeland sight was meant to be teamed up with his front sight. For small bore, the sight was about 6.5" long, used 1" discs, and was meant to be mounted so that it hung out over the muzzle of the barrel. Freeland also manufactured a shorter version for center fire rifles that was not subjected to the effects of muzzle flash. Both versions required a Freeland unique and rifle specific front mounting block that had a groove cut across the block for the cross mounting bolt. The Freeland sighting system was available - and popular - for years, first seen in his 1951
shooting equipment catalog.

The main drawback to the system is that as the rear mount is adjusted for elevation, the front and rear tubes are not concentric. Though popular in their day, these sights are rarely used today, and are usually found on
"vintage" target rifles front the 1950's and 1960's, ... BSA Martinis, Winchester Model 52, etc.

Its' real value today is with sight collectors who are just beginning to consider equipment from this period. Depending on condition, they can range in price up to $285. Unfortunately, the Unertl 1" rings are not nearly as desireable as the 3/4" rings that came with most of their scopes, and if they are "dehorned" posa mount rings can be worth even less
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

I remember having 2 front sights. One for 100yd and the other for 50.
WSmith

Freeland tube sight

Post by WSmith »

That's right. The front sights could actually be purchased individually or as a set, each identical tube having a different base height.
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

WSmith

I appreciate the information.

I guessed at the 3/4" diameter having only seen photos of the rifle & sights.

The front sight does extend well past the muzzle. A precursor to bloop tubes used to extend sight radius it seems.

Regards

Jim
mobarron

freeland tube sight

Post by mobarron »

The idea of the tube sight was to limit the amount of stray light reaching your eye and so provide a clearer sight picture. I haven't seen a Freeland tube in years but I don't remember that it had any baffles like the Unertl tube sight. The Unertls had either two or three baffles inside the tube and probably did a better job of blocking the stray light. But both had the problem of an offset front sight as rear elevation was changed. I don't remember that it was a problem but it was distracting and today when we are used to putting the front sight in the center of our rear aperture, it's tough to get used to. I never tried it but I always thought that if I had an adjustable mount for the front end of the tube I could make it work. Mike Barron