centra rear sight?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Thedrifter

centra rear sight?

Post by Thedrifter »

My question is to those that have and use the centra rear sight,
What do you think of it?
Is it 10 or 20 click
Have you found it to be reliable in your adjustments?

My current rear sight is having, technical difficulties and I need to replace it.
My first choice is more towards the anschutz 7002 but it is pricy
Second is the anschutz 68something I forget right now, but the older design.

Should I just go with the anschutz sights?

I really don't have much can't right now so that feature would be unneeded unless I change my position.

I am more worried about quality than price but still want to save where I can.
So does this just cone down to a Ford vs Chevy issue?
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

The Centra 10-50 sight is what you want for smallbore applications. The long range version, which is what US vendors typically keep in stock, has coarser clicks. Unfortunately, 10-50 seems to be harder to get in the US. I bought mine from Intershoot.

The Centra 10-50 moves 0.02mm per click (at the sight, not the target), the same as my MEC Free Sight. I haven't used it a lot but it looks very robust. It has bronze bushings, unlike the Anschutz 7002, which has plastic bushings.

The nice thing about this sight is that it is very small in profile and allows you to see more of the conditions, especially when coupled with a small profile iris like Centra Tiny.

However, only 7002 can be adjusted for cant. I guess that's why they are so popular.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Spend the money for the Centra or a Warner rear sight. Anschutz sights are only marginally less expensive but are a fraction of the quality, precision and durability.

A quality rear sight will literally last a lifetime and not require regular rebuilds. It also give the confidence that when you make an adjustment in the middle of a string that the sight will actually move and not experience backlash issues.

The only reason that Anschutz sights are popular is that they are easy to order along with a rifle. The ability to cant the sight is a nice feature, but not mandatory to shoot world class scores.
-ken
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Marcus at Center shot sports, and Neal Stepp at ISS carry this rearsight if you want to buy it from someone in the US. Just give 'em a call and I'm sure they can answer your questions.
woody_rod

Post by woody_rod »

The Centra long range (10-50) sight system is a good one. I had the first one in AUstralia, and have used it since - about 4 years now. The threads are ground, and run on pretensioned ball bearings. They are super smooth and made to last a lifetime.

I also use the Centra matching 22mm front sight, also a superb piece of gear.

Neither are idiot proof, based on what I have seen some people do to them....but if you are careful with your gear, they will outlast any shooter.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Woody, one correction: the 10-50 and Long Range are different sights. The 10-50 is for use in smallbore and 300m shooting, and has much finer adjustments (1.25mm per click @ 50m or about 0.086 MOA).
Martin Catley

FYO

Post by Martin Catley »

The Long Range which quite a few Smallbore shooters do use including Warren Potent, have a look at ISSF films, is available with an option of 'clicks". I personally use a "8" clicker with a long tube which takes it out a bit and have heard they can come finer. They are similar to what I gather a lot of USA shooters use in the (Weeks or Wilkes? not sure of names). A good solid sight which will last a lifetime.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Well, just checked the Centra catalog, and it appears that the Long Range and 10-50 are basically the same sights except one is marketed toward US/Commonwealth shooters, and the other exclusively toward European shooters. The differences are:

- 10-50 is available with only one thread pitch: 1.25mm @ 50m (about 1/12MOA); the LR is available in three thread pitches, and denoted in the US-friendly units of 1/4, 1/8, and 1/12 MOA.
- 10-50 is available with Ans, FWB, Walther, and Redfield mounts. LR is available with Ans, Weaver, Paramount, and Redfield mounts.
- 10-50 is available with the traditional European knobs that turn CW for moving POI left and down. The LR is available with both "match rifle" and "service rifle" turn directions.

I have both the Phoenix Precision rear sight and 10-50. While both are excellent sights, the 10-50 is lighter and less bulky.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I went with the anschutz 7020 sight set I found a deal that was hard to walk away from.