Replacing Firing Pin on Pardini SP22

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mass Shooter

Replacing Firing Pin on Pardini SP22

Post by Mass Shooter »

Hi all- been experiencing an issue on my Pardini SP22 concerning "light strikes" This has only happend 4-5 times, thankfully only during practice sessions (league season finished) but it now has my attention to investigate deeper.

As general maintenance I've already & recently replaced the long "Recoil Spring" and replaced the "Main Spring".

I'll be replacing the Firing Pin & Firing Pin Spring in the next day or so.

I presume it's a straight-forward process or anything I may need to know before I dive in?
Chris

Post by Chris »

If I remember correctly there is a roll pin you have to push out from the top or bottom of the bolt to remove the firing pin. It is very easy to do.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Chris wrote:If I remember correctly there is a roll pin you have to push out from the top or bottom of the bolt to remove the firing pin. It is very easy to do.
Well, it was a piece o cake project to replace the firing pin. No hidden surprises. Simply tapped out the locating pin with a correct size punch and the firing pin and spring was easily removed and replaced with new.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hiya,

While you had the pin/spring out of the bolt you cleaned the firing pin hole with solvent and a Q-tip to remove the gunk that builds up and blocks the pin from going forward and striking the rim, right?

Tom
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Tom wrote:Hiya,

While you had the pin/spring out of the bolt you cleaned the firing pin hole with solvent and a Q-tip to remove the gunk that builds up and blocks the pin from going forward and striking the rim, right?

Tom
Hi Tom, yes sir most certainly did. Thanks for pointing that out so others won't forget. ... Brings up a good point about how handy those cotton tipped swabs are for reaching into inaccessable areas for cleaning.
I fill a small ziploc bag and keep a supply of Q-tips in my range bag as well. .... I might as well add that one of those handy Gunsmith multi-bit kits works out real well as it contains the perfect size mandrel for punching out the dowell pin. ... I have the Wheeler brand.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Was the firing pin change a cure for your malfunctions?
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Greg Derr wrote:Was the firing pin change a cure for your malfunctions?
Hi Greg, ... thanks for asking.

The original pin was somewhat blunted at the tip, looked well worn, but certainly wasn't broken. On the opposite radiused end had a worn flattened spot. ... The new pin has a much crisper chisled edge and a smooth radius on the opposite end. (as expected)

After completing the replacement of firing pin, I took it to our club and was able to successfully put through 150 rnds. of CCI SV and no hiccups. I only used (1) magazine in order to keep an eye on that variable too.

Will be practicing again this evening, will try to put through another sleeve of CCI through it as well.

Any tricks or thougths you can add?
Coastwatcher

Post by Coastwatcher »

Pardini magazines are sensitive to the length of the round. CCI SV is manufactured at the maximum SAAMI length so you have to watch that the rounds don't hang up in the mag. A simple check is to pull the mag follower button on a loaded mag down with your thumb and if the rounds fall freely and snap back up when you release the button you are good to go. If any of the rounds are too long they will hang up when you release the follower.

Apart from the length CCI SV is great. We have down a lot of testing and it was as accurate as a lot of more expensive ammo.
networkguy3

CCI SV in an SP

Post by networkguy3 »

Coastwatcher wrote:Pardini magazines are sensitive to the length of the round. CCI SV is manufactured at the maximum SAAMI length so you have to watch that the rounds don't hang up in the mag. A simple check is to pull the mag follower button on a loaded mag down with your thumb and if the rounds fall freely and snap back up when you release the button you are good to go. If any of the rounds are too long they will hang up when you release the follower.
Actually after over 10,00 rounds through my SP, I have never found a round that would not move freely in the magazine if loaded carefully. I have just developed the habit of pushing the follower button down just to make sure I have not allowed the rounds to come too far forward when loading. Even with that problem, I've had less than 10 FTE / FTF with CCI. I'd call that pretty reliable.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It can be very lot dependent. CCI uses a waxy lube, and they appear to let the stuff harden with the cartridges bullet end down. This can result in a blob of lube on the nose of the bullet, My Pardini has no trouble with CCI, but occasionally I will get a round with a little extra wax that makes the rounds a little less free in the magazine. If you pistol is fussy about this & you run into a heavily lubed box of ammo, it isn't a big deal to wipe the extra lube off the nose of the bullets with a towel.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

My Pardini Sp has had enough feeding issues with CCI SV so I use either Aguilla SE SV or Wolf MT.