Beginner Level PCP Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ON_THE_EDGE

Beginner Level PCP Pistol

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I have a 46M that I have been plinking with for over a year now and I am thinking about upgrading to PCP.

I do not compete but I am VERY serious about my plinking. My plinking rifle is a FWB 601.

What would be a good quality entry level 10 meter pistol that I should consider?

Thanks Pilkington for this forum!

Burke
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

What do you want out of a different pistol? What's your list of flaws you'd like to correct, or specific improvements you'd like to obtain. And how much do you want to spend on those changes?

If you think that you'll find a pistol that will be More accurate than the IZH for you, erase that belief right now. The pistol, in competent hands, has shot scores that would land you in AP finals in 9 out of 10 international events. It's plenty accurate.
Rover

Post by Rover »

C'mon, the guy wants a new toy!

Buy yourself a Steyr LP10; Pilk is selling a nice used one right now (check the Buy, Sell page). There is nothing else that will satisfy you.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

As Brian M pointed out, you already have one of the best available entry level 10M pistols. I don't know what other gear you have, but shooting glasses will make a bigger difference in your scoring than just getting a new gun. And an investment in targets and the time to perforate them will also have a bigger payoff.

If, on the other hand, you are just yearning for a cool new toy (and I can definitely relate) then get a close look at your budget. A used PCP that would be a step up will likely set you back somewhere north of $900 - I don't know that guns like the Alpha Proj would actually be a step up - and be sure to figure in the cost of a scuba tank. Pumps are nice, but from what I've read they are best used as a top-up as your scuba tank runs low and you don't want to use one as your sole source.

Unless there is some way to try out the models available, your best bet may be to watch this forum and others for a good used one that falls in your price range and have a go. If you don't like it, sell it - you only paid the "used" price for it and you should be able to recover that - and buy something else.

I am in the same category of serious plinker and fell into a Morini CM 64 EI a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is the best possible gun for me, but it is a lot of fun and a damn nice piece of equipment. If I get to the point that punching out one more "X" means something to me, then maybe I'll look at others to see if something suits better, but for now I'm happy and would probably be just as happy if I had bought a Morini with a mechanical trigger or if I had lucked into a FWB or Steyr instead.

Roger
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I have an Alfa Proj CO2 Sport and I find it to be far more accurate than myself. Although this is likely to me being a rifle shooter. :)
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

As was pointed out, the 46M will exceed my abilities for years to come. It is pretty much an urge for a new toy for the most part, but also a friend of mine has a son who is competing through 4H and I was thinking of loaning him my 46M. I also have a grandson that in a few years might take a shining to it and then I definitately will need another something.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

ON_THE_EDGE wrote:It is pretty much an urge for a new toy for the most part...
That's it most of the time, no matter what one may be talking about. I'm an avid motorcyclist and happen to be a fan of 250cc bikes. They do everything NEEDED, but more people own larger CC bikes because that's what they want.

Anyway, what's on the "want" list. For me, it was an adjustable grip ~ that was the biggest complaint I had with my IZH. The Steyr LP10 had the best grip adjustment (might still, I stopped researching that kind of stuff). Others go all weak in the knees for electronic triggers. Maybe you want something a little lighter, or a LOT lighter (I seem to remember one of the lighter PCP's being close to 2/3rd the weight of the IZH). Anyway, all sorts of things you can tailor to suit you if you're going to buy a new pistol. Obviously, budget will play a MAJOR roll as you can go between $1000 and $2500.
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I dream of a LP10, but my budget says no. An Alpha Proj is more than likely a realistic goal unless someone offers me a great deal on something else.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Keep looking. You don't want an Alpha Proj; you can buy a good used gun for the price of one of them. Did you make an offer on Pilk's LP1?
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Heck, there's an LP@ in the classifieds right now for a reasonable price too (I'd offer less and see where it went). Not really going to get much cheaper for a PCP, and it's essentially the same as a Steyr LP2. Only difference from the LP10 (if I remember correctly) is the lack of the recoil system. Having shot my LP10 with a non-functional recoil system for awhile, it makes no difference on good shots and only a little difference on bad shots.
Rover

Post by Rover »

An LP1 and a Walther 300 went for about $800 on here a week or so ago.

What makes you think you need a PCP anyway?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

What's need got to do with it?

As you said earlier, he wants a new toy. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize you are not going to buy points.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I agree you can't buy points but sometimes the more expensive weapon is more customizable making it fit better and allowing you to shoot better.
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

I was thinking of making a reasonable offer for the Steyr, but yesterday I decided to buy my wife something nice for Mother's Day and now I do not have enough to make a reasonable offer on anything. I guess I will just have to be patient a little longer or sell some of my other toys.

If any of you have a pistol that has been sitting around for a long time not being used, keep me in mind. Maybe we can work something out.
yana

Post by yana »

Feel and try for yrself. Only ánd best way. What wé like doesnt necessarily be what yóu like.
There are LOADS of brands, familiar one's and less familiar one's.
When you buy sechand, a reminder that the cilinders are probably out of date.
v76

Post by v76 »

A year seems like the standard amount of time before wanting a new toy. There are always deals to be had, so I'd be patient.

You have a fantastic training tool in the 46M so I'd continue to go forward with it. Only thing that made me switch is the nose-heavy weight which hurt my wrist during long and even short training sessions - counter-productive.

I eventually got to shoot better scores with my PCP but I'd attribute them to my much improved outlook on training, better drills, better comprehension of the mental facets of the sport, etc. In short, I train smarter. (And longer!) I'd still shoot the same scores with the 46M.
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

Just so everybody knows exactly where I am coming from, I do not ever see me competing. I am just a VERY serious plinker. About the only time I "compete" is when my son-in-law comes over.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

ON_THE_EDGE wrote: Just so everybody knows exactly where I am coming from, I do not ever see me competing. I am just a VERY serious plinker. About the only time I "compete" is when my son-in-law comes over.
Oh, so it's a blood sport. Get the best gun you can afford and take no prisoners.

Roger
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

ON_THE_EDGE wrote:

I am just a VERY serious plinker.
I am also into pistols, but when it comes to plinking I enjoy shooting the finer guns that I have. If you think that by buying an Alpha Proj or another economical brand will save you a few hundred dollars, it's O.K.

I don't regret having spending $1.000 or more for each of my FWB and Steyr pistols. In my opinion, quality and pride of ownership will endure and the expense of the gun will be of second importance...
ON_THE_EDGE

Post by ON_THE_EDGE »

My plinking rifle is a FWB 601. My wife about lost it when I told her how much it cost.

I too want top shelf quality and usually do spend the extra to get it. The problem with 10 meter rifles and pistols is that the new ones cost SOOO much that it is keeping the value of the used ones high. And when you find one that is almost affordable, the tanks are out of date (not that I would likely care).

But this is one of the reasons I enjoy this whole forum. This discussion began because I saw an Aeron Spyder for sale at what is an extremely low price for a PCP pistol. I almost bought it, but had the thought to check here first as to what others thought of it. I am probably better off now for it.