Recoil buffers?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Bullseye58

Recoil buffers?

Post by Bullseye58 »

I am curious what our experienced bullseye/ EIC competitors think about the use/necessity of recoil buffers in the .45 service pistol? Thanks.
yana

Post by yana »

I had a guide rod with integrated buffer in my Taurus. Ok, it was a 9mm, but besides that, I didnt like it.
Recoil felt very awkward, felt like it bounced, it was harsher, and it had some failures during shooting which it normally néver had.
So I ditched it. What I do nów, is simply exchange the original recoil spring regularly. Maybe slightly tougher spring if its know to be weak.
(and exchange any factory buffers ofcourse).
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

If you need a buffer with bullseye loads your recoil spring is too weak, change it to a higher rate one pound at a time till it fails to cycle properly then go back down to the one that cycles the gun 100% with your load. buffers are for full on factory loads that can batter a frame even with the strongest spring.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Got one on my hardball gun, it takes out the sharp slap of the slide hitting the frame, paired it with a 20 pound Wolff spring.
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

A buffer can help with the felt shock of recoil in a target gun. You just need to monitor it so it doesn't shred or degrade which can bind up the gun.
I got a load from NSK that is only a little more felt recoil than a wadcutter load.

Zero 230g or Sierra 230g FMJ over 4.2g VV N310. 2 inch, 5 shot groups at 50 yds.

Using a 20 lb recoil spring is way too heavy, the standard 16lb spring is fine, a heavier spring puts stress on the frame and slide going into battery. It's slamming the slide forward.

A standard 23 lb mainspring aka hammer spring can help if yours is lighter.
Art
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

No, I went through several springs before going with the 20 pound spring. It was recommended by a veteran BE shooter who is DD.
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

ghillieman,
sounds like you got a set-up that works for you.

The size of the radius/bevel on the firing pin stop (FPS) also has an effect on the felt recoil. I've fitted an EGW oversize FPS with very small radius on my ball gun and a Colt I use for full power loads. I could detect a difference but it was slight.

Here's a thead on it:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t ... fps+recoil
haresdehan

Post by haresdehan »

A recoil buffer is a factory-installed or aftermarket component of firearms which serves to reduce the velocity and/or cushion the impact of recoilling parts of a firearm.

soccer jersey | kids jersey
Last edited by haresdehan on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Recoil buffers have been around for a while, they came out before the debut of the recoil spring selection we now have. The 1/8th inch you lose in slide travel can be an issue and the eventual break down of the rubber can cause a jam. They are not needed, but like the FLGR if you feel better with it, use it.
keith

Post by keith »

I use one in my wad gun ...not that its really needed but it cant hurt anything.....In my carry .45 I will use one at the range when shooting full house defensive ammo ...but when I carry I dont have one in the gun...