practice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Wow- Russ, I think you could learn from both Gerard and John. They seem to have a good grasp of things in their professional life and sports life.

I know you said you were in real estate sales, in a down economy that must be tough. So I can see travel to some matches is not possible. I have been there too.

Think small for now and focus on shooting as a hobby if you must, but stick with it please.

You are a good student.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

And those Russians who won 4 silver medals and 2 gold medals in London a couple of weekends ago... you still haven't answered my question from several pages ago, where Greg Derr asked whether you had coached them:
Greg Derr wrote: Did you coach any of the shooters?
And you answered him with:
Russ wrote: Yes, I do consulting.
After which you switched to the attack, asking me:
Russ wrote: What makes you worry about London today, my friend, you have no guts to come to your own National...
How about it Russ? No names of star shooters, no "facts"? You recently went on with this tack, claiming full credit for John's performance:
Russ wrote: Who can repeat what I did with Mr. John Robinson?
Please tell us names, scores and medals won by your students, won during or immediately following their time with you as a consultant, not after they have sought coaching elsewhere and furthered their private studies and training well beyond your time with them, as taking credit for this is lazy, Russ. As Greg said to me privately, and has said in a different way in this discussion, Don Hamilton would never take credit for Greg's results as a competitor - and he wishes he could give 100% credit to Don, in turn, for his generous contribution to Greg's advancement.

These are not secrets things Russ, there is no secret ammunition you can use against people who wish to be open and honest with eachother in this place. Your spam sent to John is not privileged information unless you added a paragraph saying so in the footer of the email, as is standard practice going back decades of email use for business purposes. If you behaved in an unprofessional way in sending that email, please do not blame the recipient for exposing it publicly, which only further insults the man whose skill is so obviously solid.
Russ

Post by Russ »

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... c&start=80
page#5
"Did you coach any of the shooters?"
It is general question. It is First.
Second, left Russia in 1998. Visited onece since that time.
Third, there no need for coaches there! Each athelet has at least two coaches in Russia. This is why they did so well!
Fourth, I refrased the question. To help you undestand .
I do not do traditional coaching! I do consulting.
8 hours of my time, in two days, and support. This is not traditional coaching format,(thanks for John Robinson I do not need to explain impotance of this method).
I hope it is clear now.
Last edited by Russ on Wed May 02, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

It's ok, it's ok. We all have some small self indulgent boasts. I once thought I could fly(I was five). But these dreams inspire us to make them real. I went on to pilot a few things.
If someone dreams of helping a special athlete, it may happen someday.

In shooting a good self image will help you perform better, after all if you do not think you will hit the center of the target, you decrease the likelyhood that you will do it. Right?

Lanny Bassham speaks about this a lot in his book "With Shooting in Mind". I also think he offers a set of audio recorders in a few formats. I have lost touch with him, but he has a great book. If anyone has a link maybe they could post it here please.

Look ahead. ;)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Russ, did you really mean to say IMPOTENCE or importance in your last post. Please we are taking shooting performance here.

Work hard :) LOL
Russ

Post by Russ »

zuckerman wrote:
Russ wrote:
zuckerman wrote:Hey Russ where did your targets go, the ones you had posted a couple of days ago? I wanted to comment on them..
Russ wrote:You forwarded my e-mails to someone else and by accident you send it to me. Would you like to have I back? :)
It is about integrity. You cannot steal it from me, you can have it only if you intention is honest. Good luck!
lets see now, what Privileged Information did I forward that has russ calling me dishonest,, lets see now.. what was it?.. oh yes I found it,,, an ADVERTISEMENT from russ, wow! what a surprise! although I'm at a loss, I was unaware that advertisements for a business were privileged information, why are you calling me dishonest?

excerpt from "russ" forwarded email ad: I would like you to choose smart and sign up for the advanced class for the initial price I offered to you in 2011.

no thank you...
Thank you, John Robinson!
It is nice of you, to take care of my targets. ;)
Russ

It is the big difference

Post by Russ »

In traditional coaching format: student will come to the club.
In consulting format: student will choose the coach, or mentor. (It is the big difference!)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

zuckerman wrote:Hey Russ where did your targets go, the ones you had posted a couple of days ago? I wanted to comment on them..
Since Russ still hasn't answered this question, in spite of many posts from him since, here's the link to the thread containing his picture of a couple of 10 shot targets:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=34490
Here's the link to the one image:
http://www.targettalk.org/download.php?id=6160
I recall seeing 8 x 5-shot targets as well, but they don't seem to exist here any longer. One of Russ' many edits no doubt.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I did not tuch any of my 5 images.
What are you trying to find?
Can I help you at this time?
You guys, are funny.
;)

Gerard you are THE MAN!
Great help for me at the last two years!
Good job!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I just did an experiment with the first target of the day. Put a few pellets in my pocket, put on the glasses, settled into my stance, and started shooting, trying to shoot 10's quite consciously. Disaster. Here's the result of those very shakey, too-long-held (average about 5 seconds each) shots:
7.6, 7.6, 8.2, 8.3, 8.3, 8.5, 8.6, 9.2

Then I walked into the kitchen and ate a veggie pattie which was done warming up in a dry frying pan, enjoyed that a lot, thought about how wrong everything had felt during those 8 shots, with stance and mental attitude being glaringly uncomfortable, washed my hands and went back to the pistol. I shot 5 shots at the same target - as hey, the 9 and 10 were almost clear anyway so why put up a new one - but this time completely changed my approach. I stood without thinking about exact stance, just turned approximately in the right direction, raised the pistol and focused my eye on the 10 at the same moment, then let go each of the next 5 shots within 1 second of feeling like I had a good look at the 10 and that the sights were at least getting near enough. The result:
9.6, 10.4, 10.5, 10.5, 10.8

A nice little curving line from the upper-left of the 10 down into almost the middle. Felt natural, like the way I shot as a child with a couple of pellet rifles or even with my first BB rifle when I was 7. I never held for ages then, just excitedly spotted a target and raised the gun, made sure my eye was focused on a spot I wished to hit, then fired without hesitation, eager not to miss an opportunity for a good shot. With the 4-5 second holds I'm probably touching on the 10 at least 3 times, often as many as 5, getting less and less secure with each pass.

It's recently been described - ah yes, it was tleddy on page 2 of this thread: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=31722 - in these forums how humans are incapable of reacting to visual stimuli in less than about 1/3 of a second, as the rate of nerve impulses simply isn't adequate for a faster response. And even if a 1/10th of a second reaction were possible - faster than the many times measured reaction time of Muhammad Ali who was one of the fastest recorded athletes, of even faster than Bruce Lee's amazing hands - it would not be adequate for pulling a trigger fast enough to get the pellet/bullet gone out of the barrel before the 10 was out of the sights. Even the very top shooters cannot hold the 10 consistently as evidenced by SCATT demonstrations, 'arc of movement' is the rule.

I've been back and forth quite a bit over the past year around hold times. It is tempting, often, to fall back into too long a hold, as it reassures the ego, demonstrates to myself that I am putting in 'more effort' and 'earning' my scores. But as I'm being reminded more and more in my training, trust is the core issue. Trust in the study time, trust in the training time and method, trust in my eye and hand.

Tonight's weekly visit to the club will be an interesting test to see if I can maintain this approach.

(sorry for the off-topic-ish return to the topic, I know it might be a bit of a shock for some)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:I did not tuch any of my 5 images.
What are you trying to find?
Can I help you at this time?
You guys, are funny.
;)

Gerard you are THE MAN!
Great help for me at the last two years!
Good job!
A night class in refined methods of wit and sarcasm might be in order, Russ, you just aren't a very funny person.

Regarding the pictures; zuckerman asked specifically about your target pictures, the ones you posted showing a series of 5-shot results, all 9's and 10's. 4 of those 5 pictures you mention are of the club and its sign by the road and your equipment, only one is of targets, and they are 2 x 10-shot targets, not the ones which you posted the other day showing 40 shots on 8 targets total, to which Greg has also referred in this thread. Took them down, did you? I don't know why.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Yesterday.
Last edited by Greg Derr on Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear Gerard, you are just confused with my discussion with Greg. He found some slighters (shots ) of my new Morini AP, (my recent purchase from TT). Please do not expect to find anything unusual in my performance.
The nature of my class is specific knowledge that I develop of rapid elevation in training during my career.
Are we having good time so far?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Dear Gerard,you are just confused with my discussion with Greg. He found some slighters (shots ) of my new Morini AP, (my recent purchase from TT). Please do not expect to find anything unusual in my performance.
The nature of my class is specific knowledge that I develop of rapid elevation in training during my career.
Are we having good time so far?
I was not looking for anything in those targets Russ, I was only updating the much earlier asked question, from zuckerman, as to where your targets have gone. You haven't answered that, that's all. Am I being clear enough? Is my English so bad you cannot answer a simple question? And sure, I'm having fun. That's the only reason I ever respond to you Russ. The rest of my participation here is about learning to be a better shooter, and fortunately the forum has many members who are willing to share their thoughts, both expert and not. That's fun too, but much more useful than talking to someone such as yourself. You do an excellent impersonation of a wall Russ, and are about as useful to talk to. Still, the echoes can be fun.
Russ

Post by Russ »

You guys talking a lot of positive attitude, hard work and self-image.
Take any padlock and try to use all those qualities to open it.
In order to open it what you need is the code, do you like it or not. Any emotional approach, positive attitude or negative attitude will not help to solve this issue.
Attachments
padlock.jpg
padlock.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

But the right pistol might solve it, correct Russ? Which reminds me... I wanted to congratulate you on the purchase of the Morini 162EI. My friend V76 has used one for some time and enjoys the fine trigger very much. Edmond Lee, who has shot 570+ in competition and shoots on the line at my club every week, also uses this pistol, and he coaxed me to try it a few weeks before I purchased the Pardini K10 this spring. I liked the trigger also, it's very crisp and consistent, but the light weight and odd geometry of the pistol didn't seem to be a good fit for me. So I decided on the Pardini, which our local Pardini rep John Berta (also an excellent marksman, though more specialized in firearms than in AP - he's shot a 576 with this particular K10) was looking to sell after about a year of use. He's upgrading to the K12 as that's his business, to know the latest machines from Pardini so he can be a better representative for their products. He gave me a very fair price on the pistol and a Rink grip, and I've modified the pistol to suit me so things are progressing nicely. I'm sure that should you ever decide to actually use that Morini in competition, not just have it around to 'test' on a few targets, it will serve you well. Each of us must find a tool which works well for our hands and methods.

I do hope you aren't wasting that fine pistol, just having it for the sake of having an expensive AP! That would be... a contradiction, wouldn't it? Considering all the times you've lectured here in so many threads regarding people buying expensive and unnecessary air pistols I mean. But that's something you do all the time, contradicting yourself, so whatever, right?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

hard to imagine
Last edited by Greg Derr on Fri May 04, 2012 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Gerard wrote:
Russ wrote:Well, surpise me with your competive score records.
I've only shot two competitions so far, but have scored at least 1% above my practice average at both, shooting along side the likes of Olympian Dorothy Ludwig, and Allan Harding who's about to shoot in Milan and Munich at World Cup matches. These folks, like Greg Derr, John Robinson, V76 here in the forum, and many others, are more than happy to share their experience and resources, and for this I am deeply grateful as I would be on a much slower path without them. Russ, on the other hand... well, whatever.
Gerard, initially I did not anticipate your real value. I think that your post #240 will have superior impact for our community.
You did well!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote: Gerard, initially I did not anticipate your real value. I think that your post #240 will have superior impact for our community.
You did well!
Russ, your posting count has gone from 696 to 766 in 2 days! CONGRATULATIONS! Perhaps the typewriter time is working, and soon you'll be typing Shakespeare.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Dear Gerard, Greg is writing for you, please read it. You have to learn to see outside the box.
Your assumption is wrong about the pistol; I bought it for different reason.
I do consulting, sometimes I need different tools. If price is right, I can buy it. What the point of your emotional attachment to the tool?
Do you have tools to do your job?
Last edited by Russ on Thu May 03, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.