Excellent teaching video Uwe Potteck

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Excellent teaching video Uwe Potteck

Post by seamaster »

Great video on pistol shooting

Look under google video

Uwe Potteck (Germany)

Part 1-5
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

doughert@ptd.net

Video

Post by doughert@ptd.net »

That is indeed the best training video I've ever seen too. There is a version of it with English narration in VHS format that an International coach from Oregon was selling in the mid 90's. I think it was produced in the UK. I've searched for a DVD version and have not found it...
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I have a copy of this tape on VHS with English narrative.

I would be willing to provide it to a group of people who are willing to transfer it to a DVD and provide me with a copy and make copies available to others. Maybe Pilkguns would be willing to market it.

It was originally produced by Dynamite Nobel as an advertisement for RWS. I have no copyright information about the product.

It covers air and firearm international pistol shooting with tidbits about grip design and ammunition testing.
arnie19

Post by arnie19 »

If you have a vcr and dvd burner combo you should be able to make a digital dvd copy and then put the dvd in the computer and burn copies very fast . Arnie19
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Is anyone working on this conversion?
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I'm sending my copy to Pilkguns. They will pursue making it available.
HP98

Post by HP98 »

Awesome video. Helpful! Thanks
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

...about the direction of the pistols in some parts of this video...
what coach or range official could allow this?

Coaches HAVE a responsibility for safety and allowing their shooter/s to wave their pistols about in this manner is TOTALLY irresponsible!

How unfortunate that poor pistol handling has been included in this video.

Spencer
(coach and official)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Yeah, I caught a couple of instances of reckless pistol pointing in the videos and felt a chill as I recalled being caught doing something similar on my first ever visit to a shooting club this past summer. A long-standing member (and retired RCMP officer no less) jumped out of his chair when I was first cocking my IZH-46m... in the way I had been doing at home in a narrow doorway where it was the most comfortable way to do it; right in front of my chest with the barrel pointing back towards my left side as it swept through the motion. Of course there was zero danger of an accidental discharge in that direction, with the breech open and no pellet in the barrel. But that's not the point with basic safety issues, and I was profoundly embarrassed at the time for my lack of insight in a group situation. Haven't made that mistake again. Seeing this sort of wagging around of the business ends of guns made me nervous, even though the video is ancient.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a common theme in Germany. Recently in these forums someone mentioned that in trigger testing the spring-air FWB pistols for German competitions the old habit was to place a thumb firmly onto the end of the muzzle when yanking the pistol upwards to pull the trigger. Struck me as beyond odd and into foolish territory, but apparently this was the 'rule of thumb' for years in Germany.

And when I mentioned this to the pistol check guy at the Richmond Hibernation Match this past weekend he related a story of his own experience of German AP range fun and games. He was visiting many years ago at a large range and practicing alone on the line, when a maintenance worker walked in from the left side and came within 4 targets of his own target. He de-cocked his pistol and laid it down, then went looking for the range officer and complained that there was a man down-range. The officer went over and took a look... then said something to the effect of 'Oh it's okay, I see you're shooting quite well. You won't hit him.' The long-experienced shooter was shocked, and of course did nothing of the kind, instead tried to convey the reasons for such basic safety practices. Nothing. Got nowhere at all, as though the officer simply did not understand what the big deal was.

Are Germans generally not taking air pistols seriously, could that be it? Or are these just a few anomalous events and nothing to do with generally safe practices in Germany?
evasm9901

videos

Post by evasm9901 »

I agree that this is one of the better training videos out there. I think videos are a great way to train. Not too many people want to sit down and read an entire manual, but many are willing to watch a video. Videos also show how to do something rather than just describe it. What video production companies do you guys use in this sort of thing?
Last edited by evasm9901 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trinity

Post by trinity »

Bob LeDoux wrote:I'm sending my copy to Pilkguns. They will pursue making it available.
An English voice-over-ed version would be very interesting, any update on how this is going?

Thanks!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Three things came to my notice:
1) The guy in the finals with a red shirt (6?) was shooting a 100 series FWB SSP. I guess some folks still like 'em.
2) Both demo shooters faced partially to the target, not 90 degrees that some lately like.
3) Both shooters were not "shooting down their arm". Their pistols were held at a slight angle in their grip.

All of the above makes sense to me, but I guess these things tend to be trendy.
trinity

Post by trinity »

What's impressive is, if you look at the score board, he shot that single stroke SSP, and shot a 575 (I believe). I haven't tried that pistol personally, but it probably doesn't have any of the fancy stuff today's air pistols have. Truly shows it's the athlete and not the equipment.

About #2, I think the slightly opened stance is fairly common. Very few people today are truly perpendicular to the firing line. Most people have a slight angle.

As for #3, I think that comes from #2. The more open you are in the stance, the more angle you must have in your wrist to compensate for the angle between your eye and your arm. The only way you look straight down your arm is if you are purely perpendicular to the firing line.

Interesting anecdote about #1, I know someone who won the nationals with a single stroke IZH. But then, switched to a Steyr LP10, and then tried the MG. And they haven't won a nationals since.

-trinity
Rover wrote:Three things came to my notice:
1) The guy in the finals with a red shirt (6?) was shooting a 100 series FWB SSP. I guess some folks still like 'em.
2) Both demo shooters faced partially to the target, not 90 degrees that some lately like.
3) Both shooters were not "shooting down their arm". Their pistols were held at a slight angle in their grip.

All of the above makes sense to me, but I guess these things tend to be trendy.
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

I think it was produced in the UK. I've searched for a DVD version and have not found it...
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

The VHS video used to be sold with English commentary back in the mid to late 1990's and was commissioned by the NSRA. Maybe they still have some of the originals in stock.
The video lasts for about 1hour 20 minutes and features Air Pistol, Free Pistol, Sport Pistol and Rapid Fire in both .22 and .32.
A very good instructive video despite the observed safety concerns.
DM613

Post by DM613 »

I would be willing to give him a group of people who are willing to donate to a DVD and send me a copy and the copy available to others. Perhaps Pilkguns would be willing to sell it.
Jetter55

Post by Jetter55 »

Does anyone know what's going on with this video? Last I heard, Pilkguns was going to produce DVDs.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Excellent video tutorial.
ModestoPete

DVD?

Post by ModestoPete »

I certainly would be willing to purchase one.