USA Shooting National Championships @ Fort Benning???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

oddsonjjf

USA Shooting National Championships @ Fort Benning???

Post by oddsonjjf »

Good Morning all,

Have a few junior shooters that are going to be attending this shoot for the 1st time. Just putting out a shout for advice regarding this event as well as helpful hints..pros...cons regarding prep, set up, food, lodging etc.... Just trying to cover all the bases so to speak!! Thanks!!!
randy1952

Re: USA Shooting National Championships @ Fort Benning???

Post by randy1952 »

oddsonjjf wrote:Good Morning all,

Have a few junior shooters that are going to be attending this shoot for the 1st time. Just putting out a shout for advice regarding this event as well as helpful hints..pros...cons regarding prep, set up, food, lodging etc.... Just trying to cover all the bases so to speak!! Thanks!!!
This is not a cheap event to attend. If your flying then Atlanta is probably the least expensive, but then you have to rent or catch a shuttle from the airport, which is a little cheaper then renting. You could fly into Columbus, but that is generally much more expensive. The Hotels around Benning I guess are about average price.

You will need to get forms from USAS to get your guns through the front gate and a pass for car. The car pass can be gotten at the gate. The targets will all be electronic so you won't need a spotting scope. They usually have BBQ on one of those days, but everything else you are on your own. It is usually hot so drink lots of water. The airgun range is the only range that has any air conditioning (when it works). The smallbore and pistol range are like ovens by midday, so if you can find away to condition yourself to the heat do it and bring lots of water. I have seen a few competitors pass out because of the heat and just from dehydration.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

I would agree with the previous post. The range usually gets very hot, and even worse when you have to go on the second relay (around 1 or 2 PM). Do hydrate you athletes very well before and during the match.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Guy I know looking for a roommate. Save a few bucks?

viewtopic.php?t=34571
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

When we were at Benning in March for the NRA Collegiate Championships they were no longer requiring visitor's passes and the visitor's check-in building at the main gate was closed. Everyone (not just the driver) in each car just needed to show a picture ID to get through.
randy1952

Water

Post by randy1952 »

guidolastra wrote:I would agree with the previous post. The range usually gets very hot, and even worse when you have to go on the second relay (around 1 or 2 PM). Do hydrate you athletes very well before and during the match.
One thing that can help you keep cool is that they sell these things that are filled with beads or something that is dipped in water and then you it wrap in around your neck. I have used them during the summer trap competitions and surprisingly they work quite well in keeping your brain from over heating. The top of your shirt will get a little wet, but it will help you keep your focus, which is a small price to pay. You can even make you own they are simple to make, but I have seen some commercial versions.
justadude

Post by justadude »

With some luck, one of the AMU shooters on this site can post a few more pointers to surviving the environment.

While flying in was mentioned I drove down from central Maryland last summer. This saved on air fare and transportation cost once there, the penalty of course was about 12hr in the car each way. This also eliminates the chance of having equipment lost or damaged by the airline.

The form for taking firearms and ammunition on post is no big deal. Even if you don't get one from USAS they have them at the gates. You simply write down what types of firearms and how much ammo you have. This seems to be mostly so there is a written record if something should get stolen or turn up missing.

What events are you planning on? Since your post is in the rifle section I assume all of the long gun events, prone, air rifle and 3P. With 3 days of most events this year you would spend a week and a half there if you had shooters in all events. You may do well to focus, likely on the 3P events. Even that could be an adventure as the women's 3p and men's 3p are on different days.

Bring your laptop or make sure you have computer access. You shoot on a different point each day and USAS makes a concerted effort to get the squadding for the next day posted online the night before. Is this absolutely essential?... no, but if you are working with a number of juniors it could reduce your stress level in the mornings.

You may want to do some planning ahead for things to do with the juniors in the evening. Again, this might be a place where some AMU members might have suggestions about places to take juniors in the evening when they start to get restless.

BTW, last schedule I saw had the BBQ in the afternoon of June 3rd. This is not just a social event but they have some general announcements about things going on in USAS and where some programs are headed. About the only place you will get some of this information so if you are there early enough it is well worth attending.

OK, that is all I have.

Good Luck and have fun!!!

'Dude
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Home court advantage for the AMU. When not shooting, they will be bunkered up in the air conditioned offices in the middle of the range. Rank, so to speak, has its privilege. However, a match doesn't really last that long anyway so the heat is really nothing to sweat over. Air pistol and air rifle also in nice cool building next door.

DL
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

When I shot there for the NRA Intercollegiate Championships back in March the humidity was killing me, now keep in mind back in Wisconsin it was 45 in Fort Benning it was 80 and humid. However if you keep yourself hydrated you should be fine. Also with around 50 people wearing full shooting suits it got really, really hot in there.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

out of curiosity, is this a yearly event? If so, I would like to attend if there's one next year!
justadude

Post by justadude »

Jordan,

Yes, the USA Shooting National Championships is an annual event. Usually held in early June although it can move around a bit to accommodate the schedule of other international shooting events.

The program is available on the USA Shooting website.

'Dude
Abi

equipment check

Post by Abi »

I see equipment check listed as May 30th and June 2...anyone know if this is the only time to check in? Seems like I'd have a whole lot of time on my hands if I was only shooting WAR...
justadude

Post by justadude »

During the first days, Equipment Control is staffed pretty much full time. Later, after most shooters have checked in, Equipment Control is typically staffed only for an hour or two each day or by appointment.

While I am just guessing, they likely expect that before certain events starting later in the Championships they will need to ramp up staffing in EC.

'Dude
litz10x

My .02 . . .ok, .05

Post by litz10x »

Hello everyone!

1). Someone else posted correctly that visitors are no longer required to check in and register the vehicle. When coming in via I-185, be sure to stay in the far left lane as that is the visitor lane. All vehicles will be stopped at the gates. Drivers and passengers should be prepared to present identification. Children 15 and younger are exempt.

2). Be very aware of the speed limits around post and adhere to them. Speed Limit -- The Speed Limit on-post is 30 MPH unless otherwise posted. 15MPH during Physical Training, 6-7:30 am Mon-Fri (10MPH whenever passing troops). After you pass through the check-in gate you go back up to 55 and then back down to 45 on Dixie Rd.

3). Also, drivers are prohibited from using cellular phones unless they are using a hands-free device.

4). The following link will take you to maps of the various sections of post: http://www.benningmwr.com/maps.php

5). Humidity = Georgia in June can be a bear but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't <haha>. If you want to prep for it, turn your shower on, let it run for a bit, push the water off to the side, and then stand there fully dressed to get a sampling of the sauna-like humidity we could be in for come early June.

I live in Columbus so if any of y'all have questions about the locations of hotels or anything else, please drop me a line. Also, be sure to find the time to visit the National Infantry Museum which is also located on post. The admission is free and it is well worth the trip.

Take care and I'll see you on the range,
Steph
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I found the humidity to be unbearable in March, I can't imagine what it will be like in June.
ABoyd57946

Post by ABoyd57946 »

Hello.
Just my thoughts re heat from my 2009 Benning Nationals experience. The following came from an Army friend of mine. Get a few jugs of Pedialite, and mix it 50/50 in a sports bottle with cool water. Drink the day before and day of the match. This keeps electrolytes up so you don't get heat exhaustion. I did this in men's prone and it saved my neck. I now do this in all my outdoor matches and did at Perry last year. Just wanted to share. Good luck! ABoyd57946