Thumb up versus full pistol grip

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cumbrian

Thumb up versus full pistol grip

Post by Cumbrian »

I have been experimenting with a thumb up position on a modern alloy stock that is really designed only for the full pistol grip that is integral with the stock. The results are a bit mixed, especially as I am liable to errors in all sorts of other respects, so I would be very glad of the opinions and experiences of more experienced and more skilful shooters about the merits or other wise of the thumb up position on such a stock and also on a traditional wooden Anschutz that makes specific provision for such a position. (I have an Anschutz Supermatch stock that I could use as an alternative. This stock of course offers both options.) My own inexpert view is that the thumb up position is more relaxed but perhaps the full pistol grip gives more control, albeit at the risk of excessive unintentional muscular tension. What do others think?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

I've found that thumb up actually tenses the muscles in the palm of my hand (more specifically around the base of the thumb), and gave me less stability. In positions other than prone, a slightly more firm grip improved my hold and recoil control, so no thumbs up for me.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I adopted a Thumb Up grip to counter a triggering problem I was having.

It seemed like the trigger weight was varying from shot to shot but every time I tested it, the trigger was working perfectly.
I ended up concluding that the problem was with me - possibly due to some "stickiness" in the carpel tunnel interfering with the index finger tendon and causing it to occasionally bind due to my low position, short LOP and subsequent cranked wrist.
Putting the thumb up made the problem go away - no more "triggermortis".

I have subsequently rebuilt my position to a higher, more upright one and am currently gripping with the thumb around the grip without issues.

K.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

WarWagon wrote:I've found that thumb up actually tenses the muscles in the palm of my hand (more specifically around the base of the thumb), and gave me less stability. In positions other than prone, a slightly more firm grip improved my hold and recoil control, so no thumbs up for me.
That's an interesting reversal of my theory, and, when I flex my thumb off the rifle, I can see exactly what you mean. Thanks for this helpful post.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

KennyB wrote:I adopted a Thumb Up grip to counter a triggering problem I was having.

It seemed like the trigger weight was varying from shot to shot but every time I tested it, the trigger was working perfectly.
I ended up concluding that the problem was with me - possibly due to some "stickiness" in the carpel tunnel interfering with the index finger tendon and causing it to occasionally bind due to my low position, short LOP and subsequent cranked wrist.
Putting the thumb up made the problem go away - no more "triggermortis".

I have subsequently rebuilt my position to a higher, more upright one and am currently gripping with the thumb around the grip without issues.

K.
This is an interesting variation - thank you for the information, especially as I deduce that normally you would not be a fan of 'thumb up'. Glad that you resolved the problem.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I'm for thumb up, but even on wood standard grips its best to alter the grip though to get a shallower angle than forced straight back.
I've altered my KK300 grip and use thumb up, its a shallow angle but even then is breaking into the mounting.
I have pics if any want's to see it, can't get it to attach here though so e mail on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com
Robin
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

RobinC wrote:I'm for thumb up, but even on wood standard grips its best to alter the grip though to get a shallower angle than forced straight back.
I've altered my KK300 grip and use thumb up, its a shallow angle but even then is breaking into the mounting.
I have pics if any want's to see it, can't get it to attach here though so e mail on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com
Robin
Thank you for this contribution and kind offer. I've sent an email accordingly.
yana

Post by yana »

I prefer thumb úp, but not all my gunstocks are comfortable to shoot with thumb up. So it also depends on what gun I'm shooting.
I díd notice that, shooting thumb úp, can sometimes cause a weird, uncontrolleable, small tremble in my thumb, which is very annoying. Usually when I've been shooting too long or too focused.
robf

Post by robf »

The ideal is not to push the thumb either down or up. Most stocks i've seen do either, but not neither. I've also adopted thumb up in some postions to avoid triggering issues, but my discipline requires position adaptations which others may not have to deal with.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I think the ideal is thumb about 15 degrees or so from vertical ( or a little different depending on your flexibility) which does not put the strain on the palm or base of thumb. This is possible to achieve on an alloy which I have done on my KK300.
We did some Scatt yesterday with my wife on her fullbore, thumbhole Walther GX1 stock which has holes for across and up, and with a 1500 gm trigger. Thumb up gave significantly better trigger control on he heavy trigger, but she found uncomfortable so we will be grinding to let the thumb angle to get the best of both.
Best regards
Robin