Toz half-round rear sight "notch"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NikNak

Toz half-round rear sight "notch"

Post by NikNak »

What was the theory behind the half/round notch for the Toz rear sight option?

My rear sights have the square on one side and the half/round on the other side of the blade.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The idea behind the round notch is that a a sideways movement of the front sight would be visible in two ways, not only would the width of the visible gap change, but also the height. I've got a SIG 210 that has the same, because some shooters back in the 60s thought that idea great :-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Back in the '60s, the Russians and their buddies were kicking the world's butt in pistol shooting with this idea.

I started using it about 30 years ago as an easy way to open up too narrow rear sight notches.

You buy a round chain saw file at the hardware store. They are untapered (straight), very cheap, and come in different sizes. Mine mikes .180" (3/16"?).

Even a spazz can use them without much finesse, so if you want it...do it. Just remember to angle the file so you don't get glare-inducing parallel sides in the notch.

I also used it as a partial fix to the canted front sight on my TOZ free pistol.
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

[quote="Rover"]Back in the '60s, the Russians and their buddies were kicking the world's butt in pistol shooting with this idea.

I started using it about 30 years ago as an easy way to open up too narrow rear sight notches.

You buy a round chain saw file at the hardware store. They are untapered (straight), very cheap, and come in different sizes. Mine mikes .180" (3/16"?).

Even a spazz can use them without much finesse, so if you want it...do it. Just remember to angle the file so you don't get glare-inducing parallel sides in the notch.
quote]

Spazz here ....
So you still use a half/round notch on your rear sight?

ps - I thought you were older than that... :-)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm not in love with the half-round rear, but there sure as hell is nothing wrong with it. I use it on my TOZ, on my S&W Center Fire gun, on one of my M41 barrels, and (in the past) one or two of my APs and a .45.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

I have that rear sight mounted on my TOZ 35 and it is great. Very easy to see if you are out of alignment. One of my favorite sights.