Hammerli 160 Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brakarzac

Hammerli 160 Free Pistol

Post by brakarzac »

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences on the Hammerli 160 free pistol?

I am looking at byuing one, barely used in mint condition. I am by no way a top shooter, personal best in the 5 matches I have shot 50m would be a lowly 460... but its an event I dont mind having a go with...

Cheers
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

IMHO - although I don't use my one seriously - it's the best Hammerli FP. Some thoughts, though: The grip has a lot of rake, it's virtually impossible to shoot an upright angle. It can be adjusted, but not sideways, and not canted. The sights are ok, but not as adjustable as on newer FPs. Due to the steel frame (which makes it much more durable than the FP60) it's comparatively heavy. If you're looking at a old model 160 (with the black surfboard under the barrel) it might be worthwile to think about a conversion to 160 "Special" - Walther has all the necessary parts, a pretty helpful service and sells directly. Nobody I know kept the black board...
jipe

Post by jipe »

I use an Hammerli 160 special.

As Tycho said, it is the best Hammerli free pistol. I really recommend this pistol. The 162 with electronic trigger should be avoided as spare parts for the electronic trigger are not available anymore (the 162 can be converted to the 160 with mechanical trigger but you need to buy the complete trigger assembly which is expensive)

For the rake, yes, it can have an extreme rake but the rake is adjustable and can be reduced to usual free pistol rake.

Personally, I do not like the factory grip (coming from Nill) but this is a question of taste. I use a Rink grip on it which is really excellent.

One other advantage is that most parts are the same as in the current FP60 model (the complete breech assembly including the firing pin, the complete trigger assembly and the grip are the same = same part number), so spare parts are easily available from Walther.

The 160 can indeed be converted to the 160 special by replacing the black plastic under barrel part by the dual rail adjustable moving weights of the 160 special. It is also possible to add the compensator to the muzzle and to add the big knobs to allow sight adjustment without tools.
scerir

Post by scerir »

The foresight mount is glued to the barrel, and sometimes that causes problems (sometimes you must re-glue it). Personally I do not like the trigger feeling (I mean it *seems* too heavy and too long). Following the instructions I've tried many times to readjust the trigger (there are many different screws to be set) with poor results. With the old 150 the feeling of the trigger was much better (imo). The very first 160s/162s had problems with the trigger, because there was a strange "marmalade" or "vacuum" effect, due to the contact between two flat surfaces.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

But the positioning options of the trigger are world class, probably the best ever - you can really put that blade wherever you want it :-D Btw, I nevver had problems with the trigger adjustment, but might have been lucky there. YMMV.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I own two 160 special, an old one I bought used and another one I bought new (some remaining of an old stock).

The used one had a bad trigger feeling probably due to the trigger adjustment of the first owner. I have struggle quite a while to eventually set it right same as the factory setting of the new one. It is not obvious to play with the several adjustments.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have since ordered the 160 and will be contacting Walther for the 160 Special conversion parts...

Looking forward to playing with my new toy soon...

Cheers
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

I just got word back from Walther regarding the 160 special parts:

“I have heard rumours about this pistol which has a different muzzle break, an additional weight bar close to the barrel and is made in a different colour. That's what I have heard but I have never seen such a pistol and we do not have any parts for this version”

Can anyone in Europe advise an alternative place to buy the 160 parts for the 160 Special? As the factory don't seem to have the parts in their system or knowledge of the parts.

cheers
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

BS - I bought my parts directly from Walther - a very helpful person named Bianca Strobach (b.strobach(at)carl-walther.de), they knew exactly what I was talking about, and delivered promptly.
jipe

Post by jipe »

brakarzac wrote:I just got word back from Walther regarding the 160 special parts:

“I have heard rumours about this pistol which has a different muzzle break, an additional weight bar close to the barrel and is made in a different colour. That's what I have heard but I have never seen such a pistol and we do not have any parts for this version”

Can anyone in Europe advise an alternative place to buy the 160 parts for the 160 Special? As the factory don't seem to have the parts in their system or knowledge of the parts.

cheers
They obviously do not know what it is !

The 160 special has also a different frame without the kind of beak under the barrel to mount the black plastic under barrel part and with a different barrel mounting part (half octagon on the 160, flat top on the 160 special with two Torx bolts on the top).
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

That was the very latest 160. We have a factory delivered 160 Special that is basically a converted 160, including the old frame.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Tycho wrote:That was the very latest 160. We have a factory delivered 160 Special that is basically a converted 160, including the old frame.
From what I know, it is the opposite: the "real" 160 special was introduce with another frame without the beak and with the different top part (by the way, I do not know how the barrel is mounted in the 160, i.e. if it is threaded and screwed in the frame like in the 160 with may be the two Torx top bolts to block it or if these two bolts are meant to fix the barrel like on the LP10 ?, I never saw an exploded view od the 160 special and never tried to dismount the barrel or remove the two Torx bolts).

Later, little before bankruptcy, Hammerli made some factory "converted" 160 special using remaining 160 frames. Many of these have a silver barrel like the 160 instead of the black barrel of the 160 special.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I'm certainly not going to fight you over this - Hammerli and SIG have a long tradition of putting together and selling whatever happened to be at hand on the production line. From the serials and the selling dates (as nobody really knows the production dates) I'm pretty sure that our "old style" 160 Special is earlier than the "new style" 160 Special, but to prove that is just impossible. I remember the first Specials I saw on the range, though, and they had the silver barrel like the normal 160 - the black barreled turned up later. Doesn't really matter, as long as everybody agrees that it's the best Hammerli FP ever :-D
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Tycho wrote:I'm certainly not going to fight you over this - Hammerli and SIG have a long tradition of putting together and selling whatever happened to be at hand on the production line. From the serials and the selling dates (as nobody really knows the production dates) I'm pretty sure that our "old style" 160 Special is earlier than the "new style" 160 Special, but to prove that is just impossible. I remember the first Specials I saw on the range, though, and they had the silver barrel like the normal 160 - the black barreled turned up later. Doesn't really matter, as long as everybody agrees that it's the best Hammerli FP ever :-D
Well. . . I really like my 162! I've taken it to bed to dry fire before going to sleep.

Ben
scerir

Post by scerir »

see also this old thread (with pics)
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=21843
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Tycho wrote:BS - I bought my parts directly from Walther - a very helpful person named Bianca Strobach (b.strobach(at)carl-walther.de), they knew exactly what I was talking about, and delivered promptly.
I just recently contacted Ms. Strobach at Walther looking for these parts. I was informed they they have looked at their stock and they no longer have the parts. I've asked Larry's Guns in the US if they have them, and they're checking now. If anyone else knows of any sources, I'd be grateful.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

cgroppi wrote:
Tycho wrote:BS - I bought my parts directly from Walther - a very helpful person named Bianca Strobach (b.strobach(at)carl-walther.de), they knew exactly what I was talking about, and delivered promptly.
I just recently contacted Ms. Strobach at Walther looking for these parts. I was informed they they have looked at their stock and they no longer have the parts. I've asked Larry's Guns in the US if they have them, and they're checking now. If anyone else knows of any sources, I'd be grateful.
Update: I was able to get the 160 special trigger guard and weight set from Larry's Guns. They did not have the compensator. If anyone knows where one of those could be found, please let me know.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

cgroppi wrote:
Update: I was able to get the 160 special trigger guard and weight set from Larry's Guns. They did not have the compensator. If anyone knows where one of those could be found, please let me know.
Hi,

can you advise the cost and part numbers please, as I would be very interested in buying those parts, event it means missing out on the compensator.

cheers
Brad
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

brakarzac wrote:
cgroppi wrote:
Hi,

can you advise the cost and part numbers please, as I would be very interested in buying those parts, event it means missing out on the compensator.

cheers
Brad
Here they are. Hopefully I didn't just buy the last ones.

Part 1059400 WEIGHT SET, 160 SPECIAL: $169.00
Part 1050011 TRIGGER GUARD 160 SPECIAL: $24.00