Question on what would be the best sight picture

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Super Dave

Question on what would be the best sight picture

Post by Super Dave »

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I want to improve the sight picture on my Ruger Mk II Government model with 6 7/8" barrel.

I have two options on the rear sight and was wondering which would give a more accurate sight picture for target shooting at 25 yards.

The stock Ruger Patritge Front sight is .125" wide.

My two options for the width of the rear sight notch are:
a) .110" width
b) .125 width

Could you please tell me which one would be better. Thanks a lot,
Dave
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

It all depends on the width of the front sight blade,
Thin or thick.
Your vision comes into play, how well do you see
And how good is your accomidation, the ability to
See two objects at 2 different distances,
Front and rear sight, not the target.
There is a lot of info on the internet, on this subject.
Look for Dr. Wang.
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Hi Trooper Jake,

Thank you for your reply. I will look up Dr. Wang. Thanks for the tip.

The front sight is .125" wide

I'm 42. I wear 1 power reading glasses when needed. But, I can see the front sight in good lighting without a problem. I want to master iron sights before my eyes get too old...and want the best sight picture for accuracy for now...

So, what do you think...get the rear notch width at .110" or .125"?

Thanks,
Dave
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I think you should try both, you can make up knotches out of wood, paint them flat black. See what it looks like.
If you choose the narrow blade, you can always file it wider.
There are some sights that have replaceable blades in different widths.
Accomidation is how long you can look at the sights and keep them sharp.
Good eyes can see the sights sharp longer than weaker eyes.
Most people will see sharp for short periods, then it fades away.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Forgot to mention, if the rear sight is too narrow for you, you will struggle with the picture. You must maintain some light coming from the front blade in the width. If it is too narrow it will blend together too fast.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Sorry it was Dr Wong not Wang, here is the link
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Thank you very much. I think the difference is so small I'm splitting hairs.

I'm comparing a Clark rear sight to a Volk rear sight. They are both made by Kensight...and either one should be fine. The Volq is cheaper and does not require a new / taller front sight.

Think I'll go with the Volq.

Thank you,
Dave
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why not just file the notch on the sight you have?
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

The gun is at Clark Custom Guns for a trigger job. I have not taken delivery of it. My understanding is that the stock Ruger rear sights are not that great and have wide notches. I wanted to set it up right from the start.

Thanks,
Dave
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

I know people probably get tired of hearing this awnser but we cant tell you the awnser of what is right for you. There are a lot of variables that are unique to you. Your arm length for example. If you have short arms you might like a narrower rear sight opening than someone with long arms. With that being said I like light around my front sight. I just had my Range Officer rear sight milled to .140 and to me it looks perfect but A friend that I shoot with doesn't like it at all. What I did was hold the calipers up the rear sight and adjusted it until I saw what I wanted then had the gunsmith mill it to that width.
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

I have long arms. I like my bacon crispy.

Does that help?

:)
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to get the Clark sight.

I appreciate the input.
Dave
mr alexander

Best Sight Picture

Post by mr alexander »

Super Dave,

Sorry, it seems I am not responding to your issue in a timely manner. But, I will still give you my 2 cents worth of info. Have you considered leaving your rear sight notch and your front sight blade both at 0.125" wide? Try this setup and see how it works for you. Is there enough light visible on both sides of the front sight when aiming? Fine. If not, why not just leave the rear blade alone and narrow the factory front sight a bit? If you're good with a file, go for it. Or maybe you know someone with access to a surface grinder or a milling machine. Take an equal amount of stock off of both sides of the front sight and use cold blue to touch it up. Experiment with a 0.120" front, try a 0.115", then a 0.110", .....etc. Keep working your way down and stop when you find what looks best for YOU! If you screw up badly, just how much would a new Ruger front sight cost anyway? It seems to me it is much easier to fool with a "solid" front sight than with a somewhat delicate, adjustable rear sight blade. Lots of "combat" shooters have BO-MAR BMCS adjustable rear sights mounted on their .45 ACP 1911 pistols. To improve things, they don't mess with the BO-MAR, they just change out the front to a wider or narrower size as it suits them. It's especially easy to do if the front is mounted in dovetail cut. If you can, look through a Brownell's catalog sometime; there are a lot of front sights available with varying widths for the 1911. I realize you're shooting a .22 Ruger, but the concept is the same. Narrow the front.
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Thanks for your input Mr. Alexander.

The gun is currently at Clark for a trigger job. I gave them the go ahead on replacing the rear sight...so that's pretty much a done deal. But, I like your idea of adjusting the front sight if it's not how I like it.

Take care,
Dave
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

Super Dave wrote:Hi Trooper Jake,

I'm 42. I want to master iron sights before my eyes get too old...
Dave

Dave,

As a fellow Bulleye shooter who is 45, I think both of us will get old before either of us truly "masters" iron sites .... let's hope you do, but for my sake, I'm not holding out much hope. Have you tried Free Pistol?
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Hey NikNak,

I'm not a Bullseye shooter. I would like to try it though. It looks like a fantastic sport. I enjoy shooting paper at the range and I'm trying to improve my accuracy. I figure now is the time to work on it since I'm not getting any younger.

I posted on this forum since you guys would know the most about the subject.

Thanks,
Dave