How to Move your Performance to Level 570 in AP in 3 Months

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

Post by Russ »

Encouragement of doing things in wrong way is not the best approach. I wish him success!
There can always be some consequences with most DIY projects. Recently, I visit my friend‘s auto shop and noticed a new sign in his office:
“Our rate for labor is $75 per hour. If you would like to watch, $100 per hour. If you would like to help, $150 per hour. If you would like to start by your own and can’t get it done, $250 per hour”. ;)
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Re: Just curious

Post by Gerard »

Actually Greg, it was sport related, in the sense that I was attempting to target some weakness in my shoulder with a new angle of lift. I didn't do proper research, just tried it, and the result was an injury. There was no danger of hurting myself while shooting, but lifting weights towards better shooting cost me a major setback. I'm not sure if any AP shooting coaches direct their students specifically in terms of weight training or supervise this activity, so perhaps that's not relevant here.
Russ wrote: What is your next competition?
The next match for me will be Richmond's spring match in early March.
Russ wrote:When can we see your performance and score?
My score at the Hibernation match in Richmond, BC, was 1586 (of a possible 1800 for the three rounds), for a third place in the Expert category. Second place went to Richard Todd of Kelowna with a 1590, and first to John Berta with a 1615. There were only 2 Masters competitors, and Edmond Lee took the win with 1683, besting Al Harding who shot 1677. I have no other official scores yet, but do continue to enter the CAF postal match most months, and have so far won that 7 months since February.
Russ wrote:Are you coming to Canadian Air Guns Grand Prix?
Wish I could! But no, my work simply won't allow such extravagances just now. This year has seen a number of distractions for me and a recent month-long flu has further set back my schedule. I will be catching up on instrument restorations for some months. I'll take the odd afternoon and evening off for some cross country skiing with my family but that's about it for recreation, besides normal running etc. I'll try to make it to the 2013 Grand Prix.
Russ wrote:I noticed you have some kind of injury related to your training routine. It is a sign to me something inappropriate has been done and a sign of the wrong approach in your way of doing things. Just curious
I don't know what you mean by a 'sign' - I made it quite clear in the earlier post here that I'd lifted weights in a silly way. I'd say that was rather obviously inappropriate, hardly needs any analysis. I did a dumb thing. So sue me. It's my burden to work though and to learn from. Anyone saying they haven't injured themselves in training of some sort is either lying, or isn't training and just wants to pretend. Mistakes happen. As a runner and cyclist many years ago I had a few injuries over about 15 years of competition. Some were in training, some in competition. So it goes. One moves on, learns from mistakes and recovers and eventually improves performance. I've had coaches as a runner, but no coach could cover every possible outcome. Lately I've taken to 'barefoot' running in aid of injury prevention, using the Merrell trail shoes for this. It's a radical change in running style but already I'm seeing how it dramatically reduces stress on the knees and back, while bringing much more of the lower leg musculature into play. A very rewarding change and one I'd recommend for any runner, especially considering Stanford University's and other track programs' demonstrated results in huge reductions of athlete injuries.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Encouragement of doing things in wrong way is not best approach whatsoever. I wish him success!
There are always can be some consequences with most of DIY projects
True enough. But I've always learned best at my own pace, guided by my own inner schedule. In 1985 I decided to be a violinmaker. I studied in the library for a long while before using any good wood, then made a number of folk instruments of scrap wood, then made my first violin and entered it into a competition... where it placed 7th of 21 new instruments. These days I am forced to turn away many requests for work on instruments as my schedule is just too full. My work is good because I understand what I am doing and have a deep personal interest in improving that standard every day, and musicians respect that and seek it out. Same with any sport - if one is thorough, performance can be improved dramatically with little risk of injury and lots of positive results. As I stated, I made a silly mistake, lifted a weight in a way which I'd not researched, and paid the price. I was having a good workout otherwise and let my enthusiasm guide me in this. A foolish mistake, sure. Can you honestly say that you supervise your students at all times, preventing any and all injuries just because they are not 'DIY' shooters? I rather doubt that, as you'd have to be everywhere at all times and ruling with an iron fist over their actions. Try not to be overly pompous Russ. I think you offer something to the community, but it does not serve you well to get into confrontation over different approaches.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"My score at the Hibernation match in Richmond, BC, was 1586 (of a possible 1800 for the three rounds)"
So it is 528 in an average score. My expectation for you was: to perform at least 550 at this time.

My contribution to the community is to provide actual results for motivated athletes. My contribution to the community is based on the evaluation of performance. My contribution to the community is to provide a reliable and respectful score performance in the least amount of time.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Oh dear, here we go again Russ. Your expectation, of me? I shot with a flu and an injured shoulder, at my first-ever competition. I shot very poorly the first round, then on the second, more relaxed, I shot a 545. I think that considering the conditions for me, I did better than I expected. I was not aware that you harboured any expectations of my performance. And as you have made it plain, you were not aware of my injury, so it seems odd that you would bring up your expectations at this time. Another difficulty of communication? Or what is this?
Russ

Post by Russ »

I just wish you to do well. If that is OK with you? ;)
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Of course Russ, glad to hear it, and thank you. I wish you luck as well. The seminar in Mexico should be fun productive.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I’m glad you have no doubts of this successful event. I will drink for your health over there. ;) Be well!
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thank you Gerard for taking the time to share that with us. It was informative and inspirational. I hope you shoulder heals completely. Rotator cuff injuries hurt like hell. Raising your hand over your head (throwing, reaching) is very important to avoid. The thing that will set mine off on occasion is sticking my hand between the crowded hangers (like a handshake at shoulder level) in a closet and push a row of clothes to the right. So don't do that, lol.
Have you ever shown your instruments at BEMF? I have to say up front that I prefer the sonority of Baroque period bowed instruments to the more modern. Thanks again, much appreciated, todd.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Russ,
I'm new to pistol shooting but for eighteen years spent the bulk of my time bicycle racing followed by several years speedskating. From what I've read of your posts, you don't seem to posses any of the qualities that a good coach or instructor should have. I hope you don't mind my being blunt but there it is. Perhaps you are highly skilled as a shooter, be happy and proud of that. But it is incorrect to assume that skill in a particular activity automatically means you can teach or coach that skill.
Russ

I’m here for someone who [b]has a goal[/b] but not a wish.

Post by Russ »

Dear toddinjax, thank you for your input. I do not do coaching. :( And I do not have any chance to work with you or meet with you personally. :( Why are you taking responsibility to talk about someone who you never met before? :( Perhaps you are not an expert in the category of evaluating my service or skills either. :(
I do consulting. If my client has a problem, I work to reach a fast and effective solution. I’m not here to talk because I have nothing to do. I’m here for someone who knows what they want and who values their own mentor time.. I’m here for someone who has a goal, but not a wish.
Very often we have some arguments about this issue. At least I’m very pleased to meet those bright individuals who came to me for the two day seminar and they did what we expected to generate by the end of our expected timeframe.
We all have differences. I do not like to talk about them, but I like to produce results. I know we can’t understand each other if he has only a wish, not a goal. I apologize for being not sensitive for someone who can’t understand the difference.

If someone looking here emotional support only, this is out of my initial offer or topic of this particular post.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'm not able to make a lot of instruments, so there wouldn't be much point showing at a big trade event. I did bring a new doublebass to the ISB convention this summer. I've made only one baroque violin, and sold that to a Seattle performer about a dozen years ago. I'd love to make some gambas and other early instrument types, but again, no time... too many musicians beg for my time to restore and set up their instruments. Thanks for asking, but this is WAY off Russ' topic. Kind of not so good in a forum.
Russ

contact the expert

Post by Russ »

I do not mind if someone likes to talk about technical aspects of an Olympic pistol… I really do not care.
If someone will be selected to any National team, coaches will expect this individual only a score performance, not a pointless and endless talk.
If an athlete has a problem with their pistol, they should take it to the expert: to our host, as I did. And Scott saved me by doing an excellent job! And he will save your time and energy as well.
What to do with extra time? Practice, practice and practice. Talk is cheap when one cannot produce any score value. This is my personal point of vision.

If you have a problem with score performance: contact the expert also. If you do not know of any, ask a question on the same forum. How did you find your real estate representative or doctor? Apply the same concept again. Experts will save your time, money, energy and dream!
Last edited by Russ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Russ

You cannot buy score, but defiantly you can buy time

Post by Russ »

If a healthy, motivated, mature individual cannot produce 565 AP over one year of practice with an air pistol, I can identify those problems in 15 to 25 minutes of the initial conversation. This is why I offer FREE one hour Initial consultation.
If there is any motivation behind this development, I can offer 8 hours of a private session and three months of support to correct those problems.

This is only one way to move over 570 in AP performance in a short period of time
(about two years from ground zero).

You cannot buy score, but defiantly you can buy time!
If someone has a better solution please share.
Last edited by Russ on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philip_T

580 score

Post by philip_T »

I guess I will have to wait for the book or Gerards booklet.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

Russ, I will give you a test. I was shooting 550's AP and 530's FP in the 80's and early 90s when I quit.

I am 60 years old and in reasonably good shape. I started shooting again in December after a 15 year layoff. If I am not shooting 565 AP consistently by June, I will contact you to be evaluated.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Some time ago Russ mentioned in this discussion that he would like to know my progress. So here:

- Shoulder has made good progress, with strength now up to about 85% and usually no excessive tiredness after practice sessions or workouts. I continue my careful exercise routine including weight work and running.

- My average in training is about 90% now, with some shoulder instability contributing to the ever-fewer numbers of shots outside the 9 ring.

- The spring match at Richmond went reasonably well for me. I went in thinking a 92% result might be achievable, but poor sleep the night before the final match brought my lowest score of 537 for that day, with a 180 shot total of 1625. I took home the gold medal in the 'Expert' category.

- My next match will be at Kamloops in June, the provincial championships. I hope to find a slightly lighter pistol in time for that, but continue to enjoy training with the IZH 46m. My goal for that match is a score of 94% or better.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

Congratulations Gerald. It sounds like your rehab is going well.

We have an average of 2 Air Pistol and 1 Free Pistol matches a month coming up through October here in Northern California, US with different clubs.

I hope to get a lot of quality practice in between matches and score in the 550 to 560 for AP and 530 to 540 in FP by June. If not, I will be looking to Russ to determine what I may be doing incorrectly
Russ

What is the first one?

Post by Russ »

Do you know why people travel? Besides the common expression, “It is fun”?
What is forcing them to spend thousands of dollars for the reason to go somewhere where they in most cases do not even understand the language of the country they are visiting? If the language is a secondary priority, what is the first one?
ModestoPete

Re: What is the first one?

Post by ModestoPete »

My guess would be to see and experience something new and different from what they know.