Inconsistent Head Position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

silentfury214

Inconsistent Head Position

Post by silentfury214 »

Recently my air rifle scores have been dropping. My hold pattern is very tight and i feel very comfortable in position, the problem is that my shots consistently go either left or right. No matter how i try to adjust my sights, the pellet never follows. After speaking with my coach, we identified the problem to be an inconsistent head position, or bad/inconsistent sight alignment. What can i do to help keep good sight alignment/head position? I shoot a Walther LG300XT Aluminum with 10mm risers. My standing scores fluctuate from 96-98, but i should be shooting 99-100 with my hold pattern. I have also been noticing that as the shooting drags on, my eyes get tired and start to "drift". I have 20/15 vision and do not wear glasses, but would a pair of shooting glasses be helpful to reduce eye strain?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I also shoot an LG300xt. In the past I had started with 10mm risers and then after some trial and error tried the AHG 20mm risers. I had also tried the Centra 4-22mm risers but stuck with the 20mm as I found these worked best for me. My coach suggested I move the sight further back to prevent stretching my neck forward. I was able to use some different support holds with good stability but this along with a fist for support hand was the best combination for me since I could consistently repeat the position with the smallest amount of movement and without my coat. Something I was concerned with was holding the rifle higher and my center of gravity affecting my aim, but further adjusting the balance and weight of my rifle has helped my hold. Today I received some Varga glasses from Pilkington and I'm hoping that these will help me fine tune my aiming. The lens is very small so there's not much room for error.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Shooting glasses will help reduce eye strain plus you can use the lens as a reference point to double check your head position.

Rob.