Uneven floor tiles in the shooting range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
allergy

Uneven floor tiles in the shooting range

Post by allergy »

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever encountered uneven floor tiles or carpet in 10m shooting range?

Let's just say if the tile beneath your heel is lower than the ball of your foot. What would you do?

Thanks!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It shouldn't happen under the rules, but we all know that ranges are rarely perfect.

The first thing I would try is to move across my firing point to see if it's any better.

If that didn't work then you can try asking to be moved to a different firing point because of the uneveness.

If that didn't work then I guess you've got to make a decision; shoot or not shoot.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I agree with David. It happens, the first thing is to see if you can find an acceptable place within your firing point, if not see if it is possibly to be moved to another point and if not suck it up and shoot or pack your stuff and go home.
allergy

Post by allergy »

You know what? This happened to 2008 Olympics 10m Rifle winner Abhinav Bindra in the 2004 Athens Olympics. The floor was unsteady. Only after the event, did his coach discover that the wood wasn't glued tight and a bubble had formed.

I wouldn't expect it to happen at the Olympics, but such an incidents happened to him!

If I am aware that the floor is uneven, does anyone know if it is allowed within the rule book, for me to place cards or support underneath my heel?

Thanks!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

allergy wrote:You know what? This happened to 2008 Olympics 10m Rifle winner Abhinav Bindra in the 2004 Athens Olympics. The floor was unsteady. Only after the event, did his coach discover that the wood wasn't glued tight and a bubble had formed.

I wouldn't expect it to happen at the Olympics, but such an incidents happened to him!

If I am aware that the floor is uneven, does anyone know if it is allowed within the rule book, for me to place cards or support underneath my heel?

Thanks!
It's not what the rule was originally written for but I would have thought that, strictly applying the rules, you would fall foul of the first part of ISSF rule 6.3.6.3.5:-
"It is prohibited to put any substance on the floor of the Firing Point."

Before trying it you would need to get approval from the Range Officials / Jury Members. Some might allow it, others might not.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The truth be told I'm sure at the elite level an actual problem with the floor will get attention, at a local match probably not so much.