400 gram trigger pressure before raising?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lior

400 gram trigger pressure before raising?

Post by Lior »

Dear TargetTalkers,

Does anyone apply lots of finger pressure on their air pistol triggers before lifting, so little more pressure is needed to break the shot when necessary?

I ask because in today's match (best target 50, total score 526 :( ) I felt that I was having too much trouble releasing shots merely due to late trigger work. I thought I could shorten the process by applying pressure to the trigger before lifting the gun, but instinctively the practice does not sound safe, so I wanted to ask those in the know whether it is done before attempting to do so.

Thanks and good week all,
Lior
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Smooth consistent trigger is what is needed. If you're had ing problems with that you need to work on it. Smooth doesn't mean creapingly slow either.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Not before lifting, but I take up my first stage as I'm lowering onto the target. I suspect that's more than half the total trigger weight (I don't own a way to test, don't know anyone who does and is local).

The issue you're having isn't with the weight, it's with the lack of time spent on trigger training. Someone once explained the trigger process like that of hitting a key on a keyboard. It's a quick, but smooth, motion. If you watch your sights while working the trigger (I like to let my arm hang down/rest, then sight to the floor and do my trigger training this way), you should be able to see how firmly you can pull before the sights move. I can pull VERY firmly before the sights move.

When I start getting "chicken finger" in competition, I just dry-fire off to the side of the bull (on something white) several times, focusing on getting on the trigger quickly once the sights are aligned. It always helps me, but it might just be what I've developed to break the mental hangup too and something else may work for you.
Last edited by Brian M on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lior

Post by Lior »

Nice tips, Brian, and match applicable to boot. Thanks a lot.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Not being able to release the shot is often a sign of poor mental focus. Work on having no thoughts in your head as soon as the gun comes off the table and see if that helps. Scott
lastman

Post by lastman »

Agree with above comments.

1 thing I would add is that you want to be committed to pressing the trigger before you commence the shot process.

I've always found that if I can't press the shot off, it's because I'm not committed to the trigger.

Good luck
Lior

Post by Lior »

Every match, every practice session one learns something new.
The last time I shot AP60, I adopted a "fledgling grip" on the LP400 and the trigger finger was making nearly all of the exertion. Releasing shots without flinching became easier.