Wad Gun - compensated or not

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bullseyeny

Wad Gun - compensated or not

Post by bullseyeny »

So I have decided to go with custom gun built on Springfield frame. Thoughts on Compensating barrel or not?
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

In order to work a compensator needs loads that are a lot more powerful than are normally used in Bullseye.
keith

Post by keith »

marvelshooter wrote:In order to work a compensator needs loads that are a lot more powerful than are normally used in Bullseye.
+1 on the above...This next statement is just my opion only ....I dont think comps do all that much in .45 acp ...higher pressure guns yes .357 mag / .40 and even sometimes in a 9mm ...but mostly I think althought they may be useful in full race guns (IPSC) other than that nah....and for sure not on CCW gun...Ive shot a comp'd XD ..the muzzle flash would most likely screw your night vision....
ghillieman

compensator on .45 bullseye

Post by ghillieman »

bullseyeny, I've been thinking the same thing. Here is what I have come up with. Use a lightweight, say 150gr up to 185gr, and adjust the springs to function. compensators need a volume of gas to operate so typical bullseye powders may not be the best for the load. Lighter bullet wight and more powder (gas volume).The question I'm working through right now is what type of comp is most effecient with lower volumes of gas, baffle or gas redirected.

Lots of nay sayers out there, but I think its the way to go, just got to make it work.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Another consideration is a compensator would likely blow more crap onto the front of a optic. IMHO, if compensators worked for bullseye shooting, the military teams would all have them.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Compensator's are useless in bullseye, spend your money on something worthwhile.
GOVTMODEL

Re: compensator on .45 bullseye

Post by GOVTMODEL »

ghillieman wrote:Lots of nay sayers out there, but I think its the way to go, just got to make it work.
Well, my contribution is that in twenty years of Bullseye shooting, including fourteen trips to Camp Perry, I can recall exactly one shooter with a compensated .45:-)

If the military shooters don't use them on Bullseye guns (and the AMU Action Pistol shooters DO) there's probably a message there-
GunRunner

Re: compensator on .45 bullseye

Post by GunRunner »

ghillieman wrote:
Lots of nay sayers out there, but I think its the way to go, just got to make it work.
There is a reason you dont see people using them, its because its been tried and it either did not work or it proved to be detrimental to accuracy.
Last edited by GunRunner on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Isn't wad compensated enough? 45 less grain?
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

If it aint broke dont fix it right? nothing like thinking inside the box.

Heres an example of somethings that work that the military teams have tried and dont use anymore...just off the top of my head...
Powdered tungsten core .224 bullets for 600yd slowfire....
Machined bullets with very high BC's for 600yd slowfire...
these worked very well but proved too expensive and not uniform enough to be used in the different rifles.

Fella, try out that comp if you want too.... I would be interested in hearing your results.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Cant believe I didnt think of this, Ed Masaki makes a compensated .45 for BE called the Dragon Gun. Your going to go against the great Ed Masaki? Compensators can work, you just got to get the bugs worked out, like he did.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

ghillieman wrote:Cant believe I didnt think of this, Ed Masaki makes a compensated .45 for BE called the Dragon Gun. Your going to go against the great Ed Masaki? Compensators can work, you just got to get the bugs worked out, like he did.
I'd never second guess Ed, who has likely forgotten more about pistols than I'll ever know.

That said, his Dragon Gun is a blowback action, not a locked breech action, so it's really not a valid comparison.

Additionally, it's been six years since he demonstrated a prototype; still no gun in production.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

GOVTMODEL wrote: I'd never second guess Ed, who has likely forgotten more about pistols than I'll ever know.

That said, his Dragon Gun is a blowback action, not a locked breech action, so it's really not a valid comparison.
It's a .45, NRA doesnt mandate that you shoot a 1911 in the .45 matches, regardless of the action type its still a compensated .45, its a valid comparison.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I agreee with GovtModel - no comparison.

While a 1911 is not the required platform - I dont think that's what he was driving at. The comparison he makes is between a blowback gun v. a locked breech.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

hahaha, sure......;)
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Orionshooter you should check out that Dragon Gun made by Ed Masaki, its pretty cool. Its built with 1911 parts on a 1911 frame. It's highly customized and the bugs were worked out to make the full length compensator work. The load is a 200gr SWC with 5.5gr of bullseye and the recoil is on par with a .32.
The original question by bullseyeny was about a custom compensated .45 on a 1911 frame, that is exactly what Ed's Dragon Gun is.
orionshooter

Re: Wad Gun - compensated or not

Post by orionshooter »

bullseyeny wrote:So I have decided to go with custom gun built on Springfield frame. Thoughts on Compensating barrel or not?
I still disagree - what the original poster asked about was compensating a custom gun built 1911 "on a Springfield frame" - not the Dragon Gun. I have checked out my good friend Ed's Dragon gun - the only one in existence.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

ghillieman wrote:The original question by bullseyeny was about a custom compensated .45 on a 1911 frame, that is exactly what Ed's Dragon Gun is.
Actually, no, it's not.

To add some detail, the ports are on the sides of the barrel, not the top. Their function is to vent gasses quickly so the slide can open safely. Remember, it's a blowback mechanism; nothing but the recoil spring holds the slide in place.

It's not a compensated pistol. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LzQgBhji2E

Richard Ashmore
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

ghillieman wrote:If it aint broke dont fix it right? nothing like thinking inside the box.
well if you want to try it, then thats your choice, lets us know how that works out for you.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

when people bring up the compensator question I always ask "what are your .22 scores?" if your not cleaning the shortline with a 22 every string then you are wasting your time and money trying to comp a 45. Learn how to hold and break the trigger inside the 10 ring first.

Ruby Fox ran a 38 super with a comp built by Bob Marvel for a while. she said it was a wash in recoil because of the extra velocity needed for the comp to have any effect.

It's been tried by the best before and there is not reason to do it for 3-gun bullseye. but hey it's your time and money....