Has this site changed?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bob3700

Has this site changed?

Post by Bob3700 »

Did I miss something here. I thought this sight was for shooting information. Now I am getting reviews of DVDs and postings for electronic cigarettes?

What gives?

Bob
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

It's just one of the joys of the internet - we seem to have a rogue account (a bot?) posting spam.
Hopefully the moderators will shut Zhushiyou33 down promptly. Not having a "report" option for inappropriate posts slows things down a bit I guess.

K.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

unfortunately, some people get paid per site they 'infect' with these unwanted ads - using programs that can set up an account where login is required - and the program hunts the web for available bulletin boards and wikis.

eventually (hopefully???) the people doing the paying will recognise that every such spam ad on dedicated sites such as targettalk in reality cheeses off the site users and gives their product adverse publicity.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Spencer wrote:eventually (hopefully???) the people doing the paying will recognise that every such spam ad on dedicated sites such as targettalk in reality cheeses off the site users and gives their product adverse publicity.
That's my hope, too, Spencer. I don't understand why these companies aren't using all their advertising dollars to attract customers who are actually interested in their products.
Abi

Post by Abi »

don't ever click on the links from spam posts, that's a great way to get a computer virus. perhaps the forum just needs an additional active moderator, I'm sure that our host is very busy.
bobhead

Post by bobhead »

Posts like that are not designed to attract customers directly. One of the criteria used by search engines like Google to rank sites is the number of other sites that link to a site. By putting that trash here (with links), they hope to move the sites in question up in Google search results.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

bobhead wrote:Posts like that are not designed to attract customers directly. One of the criteria used by search engines like Google to rank sites is the number of other sites that link to a site. By putting that trash here (with links), they hope to move the sites in question up in Google search results.
Amazing how all that works! I guess the sooner the spam is deleted, the better. The spam that adds a link to a legitimate post would tend to stay longer, I would think.